Tips for the 1st winter with a baby.

AlpineZone

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Tips for the 1st winter with a baby.

My wife and I are super excited to be expecting on September 2nd. I have been an avid skier my whole life averaging 20 days for the past few years, my wife now loves the sport after I have been teaching her for the past 3 she is now an intermediate. What do you all suggest we do for the first winter with a baby? Who has experience? I don't want to alienate my wife who now loves the sport

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

No easy answers. We skied less. Brought grandparents along for weekend trips which entails getting a 2 bedroom condo. Hired local babysitters through a service. Take turns watching the kid in the lodge and skiing. Hate to say it but you will likely see your number of days go down for a while.
    form is a 4 letter word

Teaching your wife to ski was your first mistake. j/k

Bring the family and pay for daycare at the mountain.
    Dave
    11/12 Season 13
    12/13 Season 17
    13/14 Season 22
    14/15 Season 30
    15/16 Season 24
    16/17 Season 32
    17/18 Season 10

Look forward to when they turn 3 or 4. Or $pend a ton of time and money dragging the operation around or skiing on your own and feeling guilty. Is what it is. A couple times a year go to the lodge and do the trade off solo thing to get your fix. A few years of less days is not the worst thing in the world. It gets better quick.

The 3 main schools of thought seem to be 1) one of you ski for the day while the other stays home with your baby and then flip rolls on a different day so you both get some days on the hill - probably the most economical option, but you won't get to ski with your wife that way and vise versa (could be a pro or a con )

#2) Start using the daycare facilities that most resorts have - both of you get to ski, you can pop in and see your child throughout the day (the most expensive option, and daycare spots can book up quickly or be sold out on short notice at times - takes planning ahead, but you + your wife get to ski together this way)

#3 You both go to the mountain to ski on the same day, but only 1 is skiing for a few runs while the other is inside the lodge watching your child - you then switch off a few times throughout the day

Which one works best??? Depends on a bunch of personal preferences for sure
    '07--08 season: 51 Days, '08-'09 season: 55 Days, '09-'10 season: 41 Days, '10-'11 season: 49 days, '11-'12 season: 40 Days '12-'13 season: 57 days, '13-'14 season, 60 days '14-'15 season 60 days, '15-'16 season 52 days, '16-'17 season: 50 days, '17-'18 season 52 days, '18-'19 season 45 days '07-'19 seasons: 612 Days

'19 - '20 season:

November: 16.17 (Mount Snow)

Just get one of those baby carrier things and bring the kid with you:

"For example, I ski without a helmet and with bindings that basically don't release." - Highway Star

[QUOTE=Highway Star;910327]Just get one of those baby carrier things and bring the kid with you:

Says the voice of experience, obviously. If Manhattanskier's baby is born in September, he is not going skiing until late in the season, nor sleeping more than 4 hours at a time. (I've been watching my son and his wife struggling with my 2-month-old first grandson.)

I've seen many moms and dads at MRG wish babies strapped on and the child sleeping. Made me a little nervous to watch. Two of the infants looked quite new to the world.

Quote Originally Posted by Tin View Post
    I've seen many moms and dads at MRG wish babies strapped on and the child sleeping. Made me a little nervous to watch. Two of the infants looked quite new to the world.
    I told my wife about seeing this. Her response was, "You are not using our son as a human airbag"

Thread Information