• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Baxter State Park - Abol Trail Relocation project - volunteer report, July 2015

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
Spent two days of my vacation helping the Maine Conservation Corp re-route the Abol Trail. The trail is one of three main paths to the peak of Katahdin. It was closed last year due to a rock slide which has destabilized the area for the forseeable future. The reroute adds another .75 miles to the trail and goes through some deep, deep forest, untouched for 100 years. It has been quite a challenge. All the work is with hand tools, except the initial tree cut. Even stumps are pulled by hand. All water bars will be of rock. It rained incessantly, but the work went on. What a crew. It probably won't be hike-able until next year, as it needs some serious erosion control as the top priority. Enjoy!

bigbog

Nice stuff(and work!) Bill. It's not easy terrain...lots of rocks..and stumps are all over, everywhere.
Has always been tough hiking/driving throughout the area around the mountain.

Last edited:

freeski

Can't imagine how hard the work is. Pulling tree stumps with hand tools? Very cool you helped out up there. I've never been to Katahdin, but need to make the effort.

ironhippy

the abol trail was by far my favorite way up, I loved it because within 30 - 40 minutes of hiking, you had views across the state, it was also by far the quickest way up to the top. I think I did the trip to the summit in under 2 hours twice using Abol.

I'm excited to see the new trail though.