• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Suggest a Ski for Me or Maybe Not

HD333

Looking for an all mountain ski to bomb around on this season.

I have skied my whole life but have snowboarded almost exclusively for the last 15 years. I usually get 2-3 days a year on skis, the rest of the time I am boarding.

I currently have a pair of K2 Apache Recons that have seen about 4 seasons of minimal use.

I'm looking for some fun skis that I can follow the kids into the woods on and can handle crud/powder/moguls, maybe even a few runs through the park, I am not concerned with going super fast.

Has anybody found a great all around fun ski? My K2's have filled in fine but I think I may ski more than I board this year so I wanted to try to get the right tool.

Worse case I just buy new boots and use my current setup and demo some things through the year but I'd like to have a few ideas if I hit any summer sales, ski swaps etc.

I'm a bigger guy 6' 215 so I don't want to end up on a noodle by mistake.

I'll most likely try to grab a previous model year ski to save a few bucks if possible.

Thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

D-2.5-GT

Line Prophet 90 - my daily driver and I'm just a few heavier. I love it as a good all around. Only the graphics have changed over the last few years so several year options available.

Others:
Volkl Kendo
Blizzard Brahma - I demo'd these last season a bit beefier than the Prophets thanks to a full metal sheet on top. More speed oriented i thought, these wanted to run.

skiMEbike

Line Prophet 90 - my daily driver and I'm just a few heavier. I love it as a good all around. Only the graphics have changed over the last few years so several year options available.

Others:
Volkl Kendo
Blizzard Brahma - I demo'd these last season a bit beefier than the Prophets thanks to a full metal sheet on top. More speed oriented i thought, these wanted to run.

Just coming off my first year on the Brahma's (after skiing on K2 Apache Xplorers)...LOVE them! Great all around do everything east coast ski.

dlague

I tried a pair of rossignol experience 98 and they carved really nice handled well in the trees and work well in the bu.ps too.

cdskier

Quite happy with my Nordica Hell and Back skis as an all around ski. I originally bought them more to use on days with fresh snow, but I find myself using them all the time except early/late season and except if there are any true hard pack days. That said, the only other ski mentioned in this thread that I have personal experience with is the Volkl Kendo. They were nice too, but I like the Hell and Backs much better.

Skier4life

Though i have no specific experience with these, I too am looking for a pair for similar usage and have been looking at the Volkl Mantra. The latest edition has been slightly modified from previous models but these skis consistently feature in the top 5 when reviewed by the "experts"!
Thinking of pulling the trigger on a pair of 2014/15 skis.
Would be interesting to know which you go with and if you can share any discounts you might be privy to. Happy hunting!

Riverskier

I am really not a gear guy (never demo, minimal research, no quiver outside of a rock ski, etc.) so perhaps take this with a grain of salt, but I LOVE my Mantras. Good in all conditions and all over the mountain. My favorite ski I have owned.

Hawkshot99

Most people that ski and board, would opt for the board on soft or powder days. So I would not go to wide on the skis peraonally.
I would say the previously mentioned Blizzard Brahma, or Volkl Kendo. Huge fan of both.

Skier4life

Most people that ski and board, would opt for the board on soft or powder days. So I would not go to wide on the skis peraonally.
I would say the previously mentioned Blizzard Brahma, or Volkl Kendo. Huge fan of both.

Good point!!

I bought the Blizzard Brahma's last year and love them. They can bust through about anything the East can throw at you, and are great in the slushy/refreeze cycles because they crush anything like a tank. The extra metal sheet gives them a need for speed, the Brahma can absolutely fly, but makes them a little clumsy in the moguls. It's a great all around and fun ski, especially in the east.