• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

My ski career MAY be over 😢

da pimp

Don't wait - do it now!

I went thru the same range of thoughts and worries. Had total replacement of left hip in May 2007, right after ski season. Did good PT and did not slack off the working out even after I felt pretty good. The second half of my summer I was fully active. Five months later in October I was able to hike up Killington and ski the Rime trail (no lifts open yet) where they had piled up snowmaking mounds as a prep to starting the season. Pretty rugged surfaces with ice, snow, lumps and gullies. Felt fine, and actually surprised myself that I was able to do all the moves I needed to without pain. Of course I was super worried about a twisting fall where my left leg gets caught up going inward and back. That is still the number one risk area for replaced hips.

Every surgeon will harp on you to give up singles tennis, basketball, waterskiing, alpine sports, no skydiving (the landing is too risky) but that is the lawyers talking. You should feel free to do anything you feel physically capable of while remembering that landings, higher speeds, unexpected stops or crashes create more risk versus the average person.

If at all possible demand ceramics. Some surgeons may not be certified thus will not recommend it. So find one that is certified for their application. The old fashioned polyeurethane parts and the slightly newer metal surfaces are not the way to go. The plastics will erode over time, and even within a few years the larger size erosion particles will cause a breakdown in the surrounding bone tissue and loosen up the implants. The metals are better but the concentrations of cobalt and chromium that will accumulate in your body present a long term risk. Some docs think it means nothing, others think it is a cancer risk. Do you want to be a test pilot for medicine? I did not.

The newest ceramics are the strongest and smoothest ever used. At age 51 I was given the prognosis of lifetime expectancy with the lowest rate of side effects or difficulties of any of the materials in use today. The ceramics are the bearing surfaces that are attached to the implants - the acetabulum and femoral rod are implanted, then the ceramic ball and cup go into the implants. My surgeon previously used ceramics on a ski patroller, marathon runner, and karate instructor. I have been totally happy with the results.

Today I ski any terrain at any speed and never think about my hip. My self imposed restrictions are no air, always maintain ski contact with the snow, if I sense a fall starting just get your feet up & away from being twisted up or jammed. A little speed control goes a long way, simply because higher speeds in trees or bumps raise your risk factor tremendously. I still run gates and enjoy ripping early morning runs as fast as I ever could ski them. Moderate speeds with high control can be very fun. Let it rip when conditions are in your favor.

One thing you must make a lifelong habit of is to walk a lot. Daily, or many times a week. Your surgeon will explain why. It is a small price to pay for pain free and enjoying every day.

Tips: Research your surgeon well. Verify that your surgeon is not simply "attending" and letting a junior person do the actual sawing, drilling, and implanting. If the femur cracks, no big deal. They will band it and it will heal up along with everything else. Donate your own blood in advance, so that they use only your own blood during the operation. Do everything possible to prevent infection. Never check in to a rehab place unless you have a critical medical condition that you cannot service at home. Get the surgeon's report from the hospital, accept no resistance on that. Write down the place and date of every X-ray you get (there will be a lot) and demand copies of every single one. They are all electronic. Make sure you get the films for your other "good" leg and hip. They film them as well, so they can reconstruct your repaired side to match the good side just as you had all your life. Find out what over the counter supplements will promote bone growth to help the healing process. Listen to what they say about restrictions immediately after surgery and do not think you know it all. I would wish you good luck but luck is not needed. Just use common sense, patience and be a good patient by following the rules.

Warp Daddy

That story about Markus is pretty inspiring . If he handled THAT stuff at MRG ,it certainly pumps up my mental sneakers to think about future skiing after THR on my my right hip .

Great stuff n pic s , guys ! Us grumpy, gimpy old dudes gotta have phun n inspiration occasionally too :thumbup:

deadheadskier

Staff member
Interesting take on the ceramic implants da pimp. I had no idea. I operated X-ray equipment for probably 50 hip replacements; all of them metal. One procedure that was gaining traction when I left X-Ray was anterior minimally invasive surgery. Traditional replacements are done via the posterior and quite frankly, your ass gets cut to pieces to access the joint. This newer procedure is a bit more time consuming, but results in less soft tissue damage during the surgery and a quicker recovery with less scar tissue after the fact.

da pimp

Yes, I had the min invasive approach. Just a 5" scar on the left side, lost a little soft tissue but no big deal. Fast track to back at work, etc. My surgeon pioneered it and taught it internationally. Dr. Kristaps Keggi, now retired. I see his partner for knee work now. Ceramics were approved in Europe (as was the partial replacement technique a la Birmingham hip) for a long time before the FDA approved them. So there was more than a decade of EU history plus FDA history to look at. The ceramics require specific training like anything new, thus many docs are still not approved and will continue to recommend the same old plastic parts especially if you are older - you are not likely to be exercising heavily or having many years left to wear them out.

Smellytele

My father had his hip done in his 80's and recovered quickly. His knees done shortly after on the other hand took way longer and never really worked well again. He was never able to walk correctly after his last knee was done when he was 86 until his death last week at 90.

jimk

Sorry for your loss Smellytele.

Outstanding and informative posts by da pimp.

Smellytele

Thanks guys for the condolences. While we never skied as a family he would tell me stories growing up in Northern Vt about hiking up hills with just regular leather shoes. Then skiing down with home made skis with a canning jar rubber attached to the ski at the toe that went around the heal. So basically tele.

vonski

Thanks guys for the condolences. While we never skied as a family he would tell me stories growing up in Northern Vt about hiking up hills with just regular leather shoes. Then skiing down with home made skis with a canning jar rubber attached to the ski at the toe that went around the heal. So basically tele.

My condolences as well! Reading that makes it apparent that you didn't have a silver spoon in your mouth!

Scruffy

Friend of mine had both hips replaced and now skis a lot and hard, and he is overweight, way more than he should be, but he is probably younger than you. You will ski again.

gorgonzola

warp fom a new/old hippy - don't let it bring you down! your positive outlook and determination will make your hip replacement a breeze! like all have said pre/post op pt is the key - stretch and walk like a mofo!

I'm like da pimp and got my new hip a few weeks after the end of last ski season (4/28) and am at about 90%. I have been back on the bike since mid june and even went for my first mtb ride this past weekend. I plan on being back on skates and skis in the next few months. review your expectations with your ortho and make sure they are up to date on their technique - anterior/lateral vs posterior - if not find another. since finding out I need a replacement I have spoke with lots of folks from ages 35-80 that have total hip replacements and are riding, skating and skiing better than ever!

I think most hips these days are ceramics, at least two surgeons I consulted both used them, although I have a space age polymer lining in the cup. the coolest thing is the porous coating on the titanium shaft - the femur grows in and fuses instead of being adhesed.

pimp I'm 52 and glad to hear you got the same story as me about the life of the replacement. Others my age that I know were told by their surgeons that THR's only last 20 yrs and opted for partial/Birmingham's for the interim 5-10 before ultimately needing a THR. I guess time will tell!

Sky

Warp...quite a show of support and encouragement! Thoughts and prayers!

Smellytele....I'm glad you had such a long experience with your father. Condolences.

*cripes...that avatar!*

Last edited:

Cornhead

Condolences Smellytele, my Dad fell and broke his hip 3 wks ago. It's been a rough 3 wks for the whole family. Total hip replacement, severe edema, congestive heart failure, pneumonia, and to top it off, a mass was found on his lung. He's in a nursing home now, 6-8 wks of rehab. We haven't told him about the mass on his lung. The one bright spot was the bonding we accomplished over the last 3 wks. We would've missed out on that had he dropped of a heart attack. I am grateful for that. He'll be 92 on Sept 3rd.

He was an engineer for Singer Link, he built flight simulators. I came home from a trip to NYC. I was proud to show him pictures of the SR71 Blackbird on the deck of the Intrepid. He told me he was offered a ride on it once...and turned it down! Totally burst my bubble. How he could say no is beyond me.

SIKSKIER

Condolences Smellytele, my Dad fell and broke his hip 3 wks ago. It's been a rough 3 wks for the whole family. Total hip replacement, severe edema, congestive heart failure, pneumonia, and to top it off, a mass was found on his lung. He's in a nursing home now, 6-8 wks of rehab. We haven't told him about the mass on his lung. The one bright spot was the bonding we accomplished over the last 3 wks. We would've missed out on that had he dropped of a heart attack. I am grateful for that. He'll be 92 on Sept 3rd.

Yikes.My mom fell 2 days ago and broke her hip.Partial hip replacement last night.86 yo.