• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Lift Line Etiquette

BenedictGomez

For whatever reason singles lines don't seem to work with double chairs. Probably because most doubles don't have them, so singles end up getting in the regular lines.

I think it's much simpler than that. I think it's because the vast majority of people ski in pairs.

My biggest singles line gripe is teenagers and/or adult a-holes who constantly abuse it.
My second biggest singles line gripe is ski area managements who do nothing about teenagers and/or adult a-holes who constantly abuse it.

BenedictGomez

How are singles lines abused?

Lets say there's a 17 minute lift-line, and the singles line is only 3 or 4 minutes long, which is a common occurrence at many places on a busy Saturday or Sunday

Singles line abuse (singles line fraud is probably a better term) is when you get a group of 2,3,4, etc..... low-lifes, a-holes, and "It's my world, you're all just living in it" types who enter the singles line to lesson their wait at the expense of the other singles, and/or everyone else depending on how the mountain runs the singles line.

MadMadWorld

Lets say there's a 17 minute lift-line, and the singles line is only 3 or 4 minutes long, which is a common occurrence at many places on a busy Saturday or Sunday

Singles line abuse (singles line fraud is probably a better term) is when you get a group of 2,3,4, etc..... low-lifes, a-holes, and "It's my world, you're all just living in it" types who enter the singles line to dramatically lesson their wait.

It's not really abuse. They only get a chair if there is room with an existing group. If folks form up before hand they won't get a seat. It's not like they are getting their own chair. I usually just look for a ski instructor who is going up with a class of kids and ask if I can help. That's smart

BenedictGomez

It's not really abuse. They only get a chair if there is room with an existing group.

They're still jumping ahead of all the legitimate singles behind them, which is typically a few minutes of waiting.

It's not like they are getting their own chair.

Depending on who's running the lifts they absolutely can. If the singles line is getting long it's not uncommon for the lifties to take a few onto a quad or even a pair onto a double. Maybe they wont sit on the chair together, but they'll beat the lines by minutes. Some mountains seem to have killed off the singles line the last few years (I think there may have been a thread about it?) and I'm wondering if the abuse is perhaps why.

dlague

I think it's much simpler than that. I think it's because the vast majority of people ski in pairs.

My biggest singles line gripe is teenagers and/or > adult a-holes who constantly abuse it.
My second biggest singles line gripe is ski area managements who do nothing about teenagers and/or > adult a-holes who constantly abuse it.

Our sons skied the singles line all the time. They never got on together, rather they met at the top of the lift. My wife and I have done that on the days where it is ridiculous, but she is not a fan of that approach.

The only time it drives me nuts is when four singles load up onto a single chair (quad of course).

Smellytele

I only hate when singles avoid riding up with another group so they can join up with other singles in their party. If they ride like a single and ride up with whom they are placed I have no issue with it and have done it myself. With my family of 5 we rarely can all ride together anyway unless some place has a 6 pack.

Tin

Singles line abuse (singles line fraud is probably a better term) is when you get a group of 2,3,4, etc..... low-lifes, a-holes, and "It's my world, you're all just living in it" types who enter the singles line to lesson their wait at the expense of the other singles, and/or everyone else depending on how the mountain runs the singles line.

Well that is a 180* from your political points...

WWF-VT

So in your perfect world the only "legitimate" person that is in the singles line is a person that is skiing alone. I hate to break the news to you, but in the real world there are a lot of "abusers" who choose the singles line because it might be quicker, not because they are a "low-life, a-hole". If you don't like dealing wih waiting in line you should avoid skiing on busy days or find a mountain with shorter lines.

BenedictGomez

The only time it drives me nuts is when four singles load up onto a single chair (quad of course).

Correct, and this happens.....all.....the.....time. Usually a group of teens, because by the time you're an adult you likely know better.

Lol. I'll think of that when I'm getting 2+ more runs per hour than you on a powder day.

It's okay, a lifetime of similar "me-first" behaviours in other aspects of life has already likely bitten you in more unbeknownst ways than you know.

Well that is a 180* from your political points...

No; It's only a 180* from the psychological profile that exists in the minds of those with your political points...

I hate to break the news to you, but in the real world there are a lot of "abusers" who choose the singles line because it might be quicker, not because they are a "low-life, a-hole".

Either way, the bolded above is a splendid example of the behaviour of an a-hole.

If it walks, waddles, swims, and quacks like a duck, it's statistically likely to be a duck.

MadMadWorld

They're still jumping ahead of all the legitimate singles behind them, which is typically a few minutes of waiting.

Depending on who's running the lifts they absolutely can. If the singles line is getting long it's not uncommon for the lifties to take a few onto a quad or even a pair onto a double. Maybe they wont sit on the chair together, but they'll beat the lines by minutes. Some mountains seem to have killed off the singles line the last few years (I think there may have been a thread about it?) and I'm wondering if the abuse is perhaps why.

Your argument still makes zero sense. If it's a quad or triple and you don't want someone to jump in from the singles, then group up with someone else. It's an easy fix. If it's a quad chair and I see a pair up ahead of me in line I will always ask them if I can pair up. If you don't then it's your own insecure fault that someone in the singles line got in before you. Now if a liftie stops everyone else to load a whole chair of singles...that I have a problem with.

MadMadWorld

I only hate when singles avoid riding up with another group so they can join up with other singles in their party. If they ride like a single and ride up with whom they are placed I have no issue with it and have done it myself. With my family of 5 we rarely can all ride together anyway unless some place has a 6 pack.

Yes that would suck. If I ever saw that I would be pissed. If I was a liftie I would kick them out of line.

WWF-VT

Correct, and this happens.....all.....the.....time. Usually a group of teens, because by the time you're an adult you likely know better.

It's okay, a lifetime of similar "me-first" behaviours in other aspects of life has already likely bitten you in more unbeknownst ways than you know.

No; It's only a 180* from the psychological profile that exists in the minds of those with your political points...

Either way, the bolded above is a splendid example of the behaviour of an a-hole.

If it walks, waddles, swims, and quacks like a duck, it's statistically likely to be a duck.

So if statisically greater than 50% of the people in the singles line are not "legitimate" in your view then we participate in a sport with a lot of "low-lifes and a-holes". I think you should give up skiing or spend more time in the singles line.

MadMadWorld

Using the singles line to get ahead of others seems more capitalistic don't you think? They are using creative methods to get ahead of the pack. While everyone else bitches and moans because they aren't doing it. Your attitude is much more reflective of "me first" than the folks in the singles line.

BenedictGomez

Your argument still makes zero sense.

You don't get it.

So if statisically greater than 50% of the people in the singles line are not "legitimate" in your view then we participate in a sport with a lot of "low-lifes and a-holes".

Greater than 50%?!?!?!

It's probably more like 4% of singles line users, definitely a minority of people have the "screw everyone else, I'm jumping all these singles" attitude, but whatever helps you sleep at night.

If 50% of people who got into a singles line did this, I'm pretty sure mountains would either do-away with singles lines, or (*gasp*) actually start to enforce it on crowded days like they should.