• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Uphill policies

Should Ski Areas Allow Uphill Traffic

• You're for it.

Votes: 9 25.7%
  • You're against it. Skinning is for backcountry only

Votes: 3 8.6%
  • It should be allowed only in designated areas

Votes: 20 57.1%
  • You don't care

Votes: 3 8.6%

• Total voters

SkiFanE

So if that person below the blind rise is not me skinning up while training for my rando race series, but instead, say ... my five-year-old daughter having fallen down, then what?(Or substitute an all-too-typical snowboarder sitting down with no line of sight.)And how do you explain all this to me if I then show up, whether in my role as her father or as a ski patroller?(BTW, having previously also been an NCAA alpine race coach, I am impressed by the sense of entitlement here for fast skiing.)
FYI: I have 3 kids who I've raised as skiers. They know about "rises" and never stopping below. If they fall, they know to move out of the way as quick as possible. My son was leveled and knocked out when he was about 35 pds by a flying 54yo man in a congested area...skiing is dangerous even if you're just getting to lift line like my son was. And...I do not ski fast - you will rarely catch me in middle of trail because I'm a bumps, glop and crap snow skier - I'm always on side of trail - groomed trails bore me and I don't go that fast any more. The fact I go over this rise, see these 2 people and turn in a dime to avoid them means I was in control and within my abilities. I ski SL skis, not fast cruisers. We're both lucky I didn't level them. Side of trail is my home, and safest spot in these days of icy cruisers and skis designed to ski them. So telling a skinner to stick to side of trail sucks for me lol.

deadheadskier

Staff member
I think Wildcat has it right. Allow uphill skinning, but only on one designated route and that route being a beginner level trail where in theory those who are going downhill aren't traveling at a high rate of speed. People can get moving on Polecat, but there's not a lot of blind spots. Most mountains, with a few exceptions like Cannon, would have a similar type beginner or low level blue trail to designate in the same fashion.

The only thing I'd suggest is that perhaps some large signage at the top and at designated places along the way. Let the downhill skiers and riders know that the trail is the approved uphill route and to be extra cautious of those downhill from you.

And for the record, I have no idea what a "Look at Me" uphiller looks like. What I see around New England are typically middle aged skiers or snowshoers just out getting some exercise. And the numbers of uphillers I see is minuscule; maybe a handful a day max. I certainly have far greater concern about fellow downhill skiers and riders creating a dangerous situation for me than the couple of times I run into someone traveling uphill. That number is increasing, but as long as it's well managed I don't think it will ever become a serious enough issue to warrant banning the practice during operational hours. Humans by and large are way to lazy for that to happen. :lol: