• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Killington - Infrastructure Collapse Pending

Highway Star

Killington's Impending Infrastructure Collapse

All this talk about POWDR's Killington "capital improvements" (aka basic maintenance) lead me to ask the question:

The way Killington is going, where will they be in 10 years?

I first skied Killington in 1988, but started skiing there regularly in 2004. Ten years ago, in 2005, there was plenty of talk about neglect, old lifts and old lodges. Now ten years on, upkeep of the infrastructure has improved, but the rate of replacement is sorely lacking.

Since 2005, they have installed one new lift (reusing old towers), replaced a lodge and a section of a lodge. They have removed two lifts without replacing them. That is a net loss.

In the past 15 years (2000-2015), Killington has installed one lift (Skye Peak Quad).

In the 15 years prior (1985-2000), Killington installed 2 gondolas, 4 detachable quads, 3 fixed grip quads, and 2 doublechairs.
In most cases, these lifts replaced existing lifts that were 20-25 years old and lacked capacity.

Does anybody else see a problem with Killington's current rate of re-investment?

Snowshed and Superstar Quads were built in 1987. They are 28 years old. They are two of the oldest HSQ in the country. Pico's two HSQ are from '87 and '88. Are there any plans to replace these aging primary lifts, like Killington's competitors have done? If these lifts are not replaced in the next ten years, they will be older than any of the oldest HSQ's operating today.

Here's an example of an old HSQ, that was removed from Breck and sold after 20 years in service:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NeCa3Ud5cps

Love the comment:
I did 5 years as a liftie when I was younger been skiing for 20 years and this sketchiest chairlift i've ever ridden. Makes so many noises I've never heard on any other lift makes me wonder if i'm going to reach the top everytime.

The only other detach quad in VT that is as old is Mount Snow's summit quad. Killington has FOUR of these lifts.

Stowe recently replaced it's 1986 ForeRunner quad, which was very well maintained. But it was 25 years old, so they replaced it. BAM. Looks nice, doesn't it...?

http://www.newenglandskihistory.com/lifts/viewlift.php?id=826

In the next ten years, Killington will have multiple lifts that will be getting dangerously old. We are already seeing an increased rate of failure with the rampant lift stopages. How are they possibly going to replace these lifts when they are not showing any willingness to spend real money on the mountain? What if someone is looking to buy property at Killington.......where will the mountain be in 10 years?

By the year 2025, what will the fate of these other lifts be?

Bear Quad (1979) - already Killington's oldest primary lift (chairs swapped to quad in 1984), will this still be in service in 10 years, at an astounding 45 years old? Will they drop $3m for a new fixed grip replacement?

Snowshed Doubles - Rebuilt in 1987, but the towers date from 1961. Will the towers make it past 60 years old, or will they be replaced by a new 6-pack lift on snowshed?

North Ridge Triple (1972) - Already appearing on lists of oldest chairlifts in operation, this lift will be 53 years old in 2025. It would have been replaced some time in the last 10 years by any other resort operator.

Snowdon Triple (1973) - Ditto.

Skyeship Gondola (1994) - Hard to imagine, but in 2025, the Skyeship will be 31 years old. That will make it one of the oldest operating Gondola's in the country. I'd be willing to bet Stowe replaces it's Gondola in the next 5 years, while Killington does not replace the Skyeship by 2025.

And lets not even get started with the Lodges. Killington is in serious trouble. If they don't get their act together and start spending some money, they will eventually run out of turd to polish.

Last edited:

deadheadskier

Staff member
You could always get a pass to Stowe. Seems that would solve a lot of your problems.

Also, Stowe just rehabbed all of their gondola cars. I'd say 15 years is a more likely scenario than 5.

Highway Star

You could always get a pass to Stowe. Seems that would solve a lot of your problems.

Also, Stowe just rehabbed all of their gondola cars. I'd say 15 years is a more likely scenario than 5.

Stowe rehabs their gondi cars like every other year. Because they don't suck.

Domeskier

Forget Killington. How many years will I have to wait until Alpine Zone can finally support giant animated avatars??

Savemeasammy

I thought that people interested in this topic may want to see the responses there. Why so touchy?

You could of said something like "he posted this on kzone, and there were some (interesting) responses". You didn't.

I actually found the post to be interesting. And, since I can remember skiing Killington before the superstar HSQ, it made me feel a bit old!

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone mobile app

thetrailboss

Staff member
One thing about replacement: the ski market from 1985-2000 was DRASTICALLY DIFFERENT than this market. Back then SKI was VERY aggressive and still growing. Skiing was still a growth (or at least) stable market. Energy and labor were cheaper. Capital was relatively easy to get...especially for a ski area that had been profitably run for decades. SKI was using YAN for their lifts because of price. Now who do you look to for lifts? Pretty much "Coke" or "Pepsi". As a result, there is no real competition and prices for lifts are just that much more. Sure, Sky Trac is out there, but really, who uses them?

Also remember that POWDR owns NOTHING--they lease the place. You should be ragging on the owner...who is SP Lands. After the PCMR disaster I bet that POWDR will be very cautious with their properties.

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
As much as I hate stupid I enjoy talking about lifts so I'll take the bait.

In the past 15 years (2000-2015), Killington has installed one lift (Skye Peak Quad).

True
In the 15 years prior (1985-2000), Killington installed 2 gondolas, 4 detachable quads, 3 fixed grip quads, and 2 doublechairs.In most cases, these lifts replaced existing lifts that were 20-25 years old and lacked capacity.

Hard to find a mountain that didn't expand in that timeframe. That's when Okemo installed most of it's lift infrastructure and they've only replaced one lift from the 85-2000 period. Mount Snow's newest lifts are from 2011, 1997, and 1996... everything else is from 1990 or earlier.

Snowshed and Superstar Quads were built in 1987. They are 28 years old. They are two of the oldest HSQ in the country. Pico's two HSQ are from '87 and '88. Are there any plans to replace these aging primary lifts, like Killington's competitors have done? If these lifts are not replaced in the next ten years, they will be older than any of the oldest HSQ's operating today.

Stowe recently replaced it's 1986 ForeRunner quad, which was very well maintained. But it was 27 years old, so they replaced it. BAM. Looks nice, doesn't it...?

The four Killington/Pico HSQ's as well as Barker at Sunday River and the Grand Summit at Mount Snow were all rebuilt. Essentially all the moving machinery was replaced in 1997, when Yan's grip problems started to show. Not even the sheaves are original. From my understanding, the only Yan parts are the terminal chassis and the towers. Stowe did replace their 1986 HSQ, but the non-moving parts were OK. The towers and terminal equipment went to Mohawk to create a new Frankenlift. Hunter's 1987 Poma quad was rebuilt and installed on the West Side.

I expect Snowshed to be replaced within the next 5-10 years by a 6 pack purely because of the village and for increased capacity. Superstar will run strong for another 15 years. Now that the Grand Snummit at Mount Snow is running weekends only in mid winter, and it got some new equipment when the Bluebird went in, I believe it won't be taken out for 20+ years.

By the year 2025, what will the fate of these other lifts be?

Bear Quad (1979) - already Killington's oldest primary lift (chairs swapped to quad in 1984), will this still be in service in 10 years, at an astounding 45 years old? Will they drop $3m for a new fixed grip replacement?

It runs 3 days a week for less than 4 months of the year. Not a high priority either since the terrain is still accessible without it.

Snowshed Doubles - Rebuilt in 1987, but the towers date from 1961. Will the towers make it past 60 years old, or will they be replaced by a new 6-pack lift on snowshed?

HSQ will be replaced by a six pack and Snowshed doubles will be long gone

North Ridge Triple (1972) - Already appearing on lists of oldest chairlifts in operation, this lift will be 53 years old in 2025. It would have been replaced some time in the last 10 years by any other resort operator.

Probably will continue to operate for 10+ years, when Snowdon's scrapped there'll be plenty of Heron-Poma parts for maintainence

Snowdon Triple (1973) - Ditto.

See above

Skyeship Gondola (1994) - Hard to imagine, but in 2025, the Skyeship will be 31 years old. That will make it one of the oldest operating Gondola's in the country. I'd be willing to bet Stowe replaces it's Gondola in the next 5 years, while Killington does not replace the Skyeship by 2025.

With all detachables, a good rebuild 25 years in will keep the lift running till the towers rot away. As I said with Mount Snow, Hunter, and the 1981 Quicksilver that you provided us video with.

Happy?

Highway Star

Any normal ski resort operator would do those things, or probably would have done them by now. Based on POWDR's track record, I doubt any of those things will actually happen.