2015/16 Snow tire thread - Page 5

AlpineZone

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    So, you've never owned a set of snow tires. Got it

Last season during one of the better snowstorms I was changing out of my ski boots in the parking lot at the end of the day. This was a level parking lot mind you. The snow was up to the bottom of my windows, had to dig out a bit just to get into the car. The ski area had employees walking around the parking shoveling out cars that couldn't even get out of their parking spot on a flat surface. They asked me if I though I needed help. I said no because I had AWD with 4 snow tires (Blizzaks). They said most of these people don't even have decent tires on their cars & walked on. Put my shoes on, put the car in reverse & backed out like there was nothing there.

There was even more excitement later but I won't get into that.
    Last edited by steamboat1; Sep 13, 2015 at 8:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by deadheadskier View Post
    So, you've never owned a set of snow tires. Got it
    I have never a set either and I grew up in NNY. God's Country. The only time I switched tires was on my X5 from the summer tires to all seasons tires. The summer tires do suck in the cold. Compound gets hard as a rock.
    Live, Ski or Die Trying!!!
    "Life is not measured by the numbers of breaths we take, but by the ski runs that take our breath away."

SKI THE EAST!!!!!!

Westchester County, NY and a Mountain near you!
    Quote Originally Posted by Puck it View Post
    I have never a set either and I grew up in NNY. God's Country. The only time I switched tires was on my X5 from the summer tires to all seasons tires. The summer tires do suck in the cold. Compound gets hard as a rock.
    Snow tire compounds stay more pliable in cold weather than all seasons too.

Where does everyone buy their tires? In my experience Costco has been hard to beat.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone mobile app
    2016-2017: 79 days
    2015-2016: 54 days
    2014-2015: 63 days
    2013-2014: 68 days

Quiver: 2014 Liberty Sequence (182 cm), 2014 K2 Rictor 82 XTi (177 cm), 2015 Nordica NRGY 100 (177 cm), 2016 Head Monster 88 (177 cm), 2017 Voelkl Racetiger SL (165 cm), 2017 Nordica Enforcer 93 (193 cm), 2017 Revision Subtraction (194 cm)

Pretty much all of us grew up in northern states. I took my frigging driving test in a snowstorm and drove around on bald tires through most of HS. Just because I can drive in those conditions doesn't mean I want to now. Same reason I like having different skis for different occasions.
    Whatever hits the fan will not be distributed evenly.

Quote Originally Posted by Puck it View Post
    I have never a set either and I grew up in NNY
    Maybe both you and dlague should try owning a set before arguing against them no?

Quote Originally Posted by wa-loaf View Post
    Pretty much all of us grew up in northern states. I took my frigging driving test in a snowstorm and drove around on bald tires through most of HS. Just because I can drive in those conditions doesn't mean I want to now. Same reason I like having different skis for different occasions.
    Bingo

I could see the argument against owning snows if there was a substantial financial benefit to sticking with All Seasons, but there isn't.

As is being proven here in this thread (again for like the 40th snow tire thread since AZ started); the people who argue against owning snows have never had them.

Bingo

I could see the argument against owning snows if there was a substantial financial benefit to sticking with All Seasons, but there isn't.

As is being proven here in this thread (again for like the 40th snow tire thread since AZ started); the people who argue against owning snows have never had them.
    I love them for getting home they dont plaow a kotswhere they don't allow much. Plowing sucks when your commute goes through 3 rural county's

Maybe both you and dlague should try owning a set before arguing against them no?
    Why waste the money if I don't need them?
    Live, Ski or Die Trying!!!
    "Life is not measured by the numbers of breaths we take, but by the ski runs that take our breath away."

SKI THE EAST!!!!!!

Thread Information