2015/16 Snow tire thread - Page 7

AlpineZone

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast
    Westchester County, NY and a Mountain near you!
    Quote Originally Posted by HD333 View Post
    I am trying to do exactly this for the wife's new ride and I am not having much luck.

Anyone with a lead on some rims/tires for a 328x drive please share the info.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Go find some beemer forums and look at the classified threads. That's how I found mine. The guy lived in PA....we met half way in south central jersey about 60 miles for each of us.

Back to the OP, I had run Micheline Xi-2's in the past and really liked them. I am due for some snows and will probably grab the Xi-3's if I can find them cheaper locally. Tire rack has them but a $70 shipping charge is painful. Costco has them with a $70 off mail in rebate.

Quote Originally Posted by marcski View Post
    Go find some beemer forums and look at the classified threads. That's how I found mine. The guy lived in PA....we met half way in south central jersey about 60 miles for each of us.
    That is how I found mine for the X5 exactly. Brand new rims and tires for like $500. Guy was cleaning out his garage.
    Live, Ski or Die Trying!!!
    "Life is not measured by the numbers of breaths we take, but by the ski runs that take our breath away."

SKI THE EAST!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by dlague View Post
    Plus the cost of the tires! Some of the tires mentioned on this thread are not cheap. For my truck - I would need 4 at around $160 each and that is the low end for tire size 265/50R20. Part of the reason I have good traction is due to the weight of my truck and the width of the tire. It also is AWD with traction control that works very well. The right tool for winter! The all season tires I use are designed to reduce hydroplaning when wet or slushy.

Description of my tires

All-Season Performance

Staggered circumferential grooves, curvilinear blades, and see-through grooves help enhance forward and lateral traction, and enhance grip in rain and snow.

Funny thing about this thread, I was showing it to my wife and all of a sudden she is thinking Snow Tires - What? Her logic, she needs new tires and we plan on trading it in in the spring so with that in mind, rather than buying all season, go with winters and then trade it in around April.

Discliamer: I have to admit, NH does a phenomenal job clearing the highways (for the most part). Getting to Cannon is easy right off the highway and we live about 1.5 miles from the highway on a flat road. My wife works from home most of the time so my truck is our real recreational work vehicle.
    You don't want wide low profile tires like 265 50's for the snow. More side wall is want you want.
    Dave
    11/12 Season 13
    12/13 Season 17
    13/14 Season 22
    14/15 Season 30
    15/16 Season 24
    16/17 Season 32
    17/18 Season 10

Quote Originally Posted by ALLSKIING View Post
    You don't want wide low profile tires like 265 50's for the snow. More side wall is want you want.
    Been driving on the same size tire for 7 years and it has never been a problem. It is the size tire that came with it. Plus if you have more than 6 inches of snow it does not matter. Then again, I do not recall the highway ever having more than 6 inches of snow on it even during the biggest storms.
    2012-2013 (39)
    2013-2014 (36)
    2014-2015 (51)
    2015-2016 (47)

2016-2017 target - 50

If you take what the mountain gives you, you will always have fun!

Quote Originally Posted by deadheadskier View Post
    As mentioned prior. It ends up prolonging the life of your summer tires. Over time, the only added cost is the swapping. If you like your car and buy the same model again, the winter steel wheels (or alloys if you want something nice) are usable again.

Your V8 monstrosity pisses away gas and money too. So, I guess it's a matter of where you don't mind spending it. It's cool that you don't want to go that route, but to argue against something you've never tried??? That's like saying Long Horn Steakhouse is a good as Ruth Chris when you've never been. That's all I'm saying.

And the compound of the rubber. You experienced the same with summer tires.
    I am more of a Morton's guy!
    2012-2013 (39)
    2013-2014 (36)
    2014-2015 (51)
    2015-2016 (47)

2016-2017 target - 50

If you take what the mountain gives you, you will always have fun!

Quote Originally Posted by dlague View Post
    I am more of a Morton's guy!
    Capital Grill here!!!!
    Live, Ski or Die Trying!!!
    "Life is not measured by the numbers of breaths we take, but by the ski runs that take our breath away."

SKI THE EAST!!!!!!

Nothing but Blizzaks here, three different vehicles, no complaints. IMHO almost worn out snows perform better than most new all season tires. Micheline all seasons are the worst. Hard rubber compound? They do have a high mileage warranty.

My car, Subaru WRX, came from the factory with Summer shoes. It was either swap them for all season, or dedicated snows. I like having two sets. My steel rims are 1" less diameter, 16". They are also narrower. The sidewalls of my snows are much higher than my low profile Summer tires. The outside diameter is the same, so no speedometer error. The higher sidewalls act as shock absorbers for typical shitty Winter roads.

I'm on my second set of snows on this car, original tires should be good for at least 2 more years. My rims are still in great shape too, seeing only Spring/Summer/Fall.
    Leave no turn unstoned!

Quote Originally Posted by Puck it View Post
    That is how I found mine for the X5 exactly. Brand new rims and tires for like $500. Guy was cleaning out his garage.
    That is what I have been trying to do. Craigslist is a crap shoot, nobody knows what model the wheels they are selling will fit on.
    May have found some for $500 locally just gotta go try them on for size.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I Love Apres'

Quote Originally Posted by Puck it View Post
    Good siping on the tire is what make it work in snow.
    + a little more narrow, diagonal tread. Blizzaks are running 1st but beginning to shop...
    Last edited by bigbog; Sep 14, 2015 at 4:37 PM.
    SteveD

Thread Information