2015/16 Snow tire thread - Page 8

AlpineZone

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast
Results 71 to 80 of 81
  1. #71
    marcski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Westchester County, NY and a Mountain near you!
    Posts
    4,575
    Quote Originally Posted by HD333 View Post
    That is what I have been trying to do. Craigslist is a crap shoot, nobody knows what model the wheels they are selling will fit on.
    May have found some for $500 locally just gotta go try them on for size.






    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    In my experience, the car enthusiast forums will be far better than Craigslist.

  2. #72
    i found my tires and rims on craigsist, made sure the rims fit before i went to see them. used blizzaks on alloy rims for $400, seems good to me.

  3. #73
    Quote Originally Posted by HD333 View Post
    That is what I have been trying to do. Craigslist is a crap shoot, nobody knows what model the wheels they are selling will fit on.
    May have found some for $500 locally just gotta go try them on for size.




    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by octopus View Post
    i found my tires and rims on craigsist, made sure the rims fit before i went to see them. used blizzaks on alloy rims for $400, seems good to me.

    If you know the bolt pattern and wheel offset your car requires then you should be all set. If the seller doesn't know what they have, move on. I got lucky there is a VW dealer in MA that buys up the steel wheels from the port (apparently a lot of the alloys get put on when the cars arrive) and sells a set of 4 for $200.
    Whatever hits the fan will not be distributed evenly.

  4. #74
    Sky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    South Central Massachusetts
    Posts
    1,426
    I will be selling a set of four Blizzaks (sp?) soon. Great shape. Kept them balanced and aligned....on in Dec...off in early April. Tons of tread.

    We sold the car (donated actually). Ill post the size here tonight.

  5. #75
    Geoff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    South Dartmouth, Ma & Killington, VT
    Posts
    4,986
    Quote Originally Posted by Puck it View Post
    Good siping on the tire is what make it work in snow.
    Actually, siping is what makes a tire perform well on black ice. The little cuts in the tire channel away the water layer. Ice at subzero isn't all that slippery. It's the water layer at near-freezing temperatures that gives it such a low coefficient of friction.

    Grip in deeper snow requires much wider gaps than the little siping cuts that channel away the water. People in the west don't see much black ice. An SUV with A/T tires works fine most of the time.

  6. #76
    Geoff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    South Dartmouth, Ma & Killington, VT
    Posts
    4,986
    I've run studded Nokians on my SUVs for years and Nokian studless friction tires on my VW GTIs. I tried the Blizzak WS-50 on my 2007 GTI. The grip was amazing but that grip went to hell at 12,000 miles when the outer rubber layer wore out. I went back to Nokian.

    I'm planning to put the Nokian Hakkapelitta R2 on my Outback in November. The TPMS on the Outback is really annoying. The senders are over $200 for a set of four no matter how hard I internet shop it. You have to reprogram the car any time you change senders. The ODB-II gizmo to reprogram as a DIY is another couple hundred bucks. When I totaled up what cheap alloys, TPMS, and the tires would cost and asked around how much a tire shop would charge to swap winters & summers, I concluded that I'm just going to pay for a mount/balance every 6 months.

  7. #77
    Quote Originally Posted by Geoff View Post
    I've run studded Nokians on my SUVs for years and Nokian studless friction tires on my VW GTIs. I tried the Blizzak WS-50 on my 2007 GTI. The grip was amazing but that grip went to hell at 12,000 miles when the outer rubber layer wore out. I went back to Nokian.

    I'm planning to put the Nokian Hakkapelitta R2 on my Outback in November. The TPMS on the Outback is really annoying. The senders are over $200 for a set of four no matter how hard I internet shop it. You have to reprogram the car any time you change senders. The ODB-II gizmo to reprogram as a DIY is another couple hundred bucks. When I totaled up what cheap alloys, TPMS, and the tires would cost and asked around how much a tire shop would charge to swap winters & summers, I concluded that I'm just going to pay for a mount/balance every 6 months.
    I was lucky, when I bought my WRX you were still allowed to buy snows mounted on steelies without sensors from Tirerack. I was also able to have the second set of snows mounted at my local shop sans sensors. Hopefully as long as they're not on the car when the tires are changed I'll be able to continue getting snows mounted without sensors. I wouldn't mind having them on the snows, but it is a lot less hassle and expense not.
    Leave no turn unstoned!

  8. #78
    bigbog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Bangor and the state's woodlands
    Posts
    4,867
    Here's just one website devoted to tires & wheels...plenty others like this one.

    http://www.hubcaphaven.com/
    Last edited by bigbog; Sep 20, 2015 at 1:53 PM.
    SteveD

  9. #79

    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Hyde Park, NY...Hunter on Weekends in the Winter...
    Posts
    2,043
    Quote Originally Posted by Geoff View Post
    I've run studded Nokians on my SUVs for years and Nokian studless friction tires on my VW GTIs. I tried the Blizzak WS-50 on my 2007 GTI. The grip was amazing but that grip went to hell at 12,000 miles when the outer rubber layer wore out. I went back to Nokian.

    I'm planning to put the Nokian Hakkapelitta R2 on my Outback in November. The TPMS on the Outback is really annoying. The senders are over $200 for a set of four no matter how hard I internet shop it. You have to reprogram the car any time you change senders. The ODB-II gizmo to reprogram as a DIY is another couple hundred bucks. When I totaled up what cheap alloys, TPMS, and the tires would cost and asked around how much a tire shop would charge to swap winters & summers, I concluded that I'm just going to pay for a mount/balance every 6 months.
    Sounds like you are happy with the Nokians. Had the Michelin X-Ice 2's, but once they get below 50% wear, they are not great in snow. Are the Nokian's great/good in snow closer to end of life? Need to buy 3 sets of snows for this winter.
    Last edited by andrec10; Sep 20, 2015 at 7:39 PM.

  10. #80
    Quote Originally Posted by hammer View Post
    I'm sure they are better but I'd rather not have my rims beat up with swapping tires twice a year. Steel wheels are not easy to find for Volvos and sorry but I don't want a TPS light blaring at me for several months a year.

    I manage fine with AWD and all-seasons and I don't go out if the roads are too bad.

    Personal preference...

    If there's any car I'd get snows for it would be my daughter's Ford Focus. That little light car is pretty bad in the snow with AWD tires.

    I'll be replacing my tires this fall, not sure what I will get yet. The Continentals I've been running with were better in the snow than the OEM Michelins (most OEM tires are crap anymore) but I had an issue with an out of round tire that I just could not get balanced quite right.
    My daughters Focus sucked in the snow till i put blizzaks on it. thing is a tank in the snow now.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 1:54 AM.