• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

2015/16 Snow tire thread

deadheadskier

Staff member
25K is what I target for snows as well, which is two 5 month seasons - November 1st to April 1st.

dlague

I like the way you think. Keeps the lift lines shorter.

This has been discussed ad nauseam in the past. Snow tires are leaps and bounds better handling in winter. Period.

Pussies that are afraid to drive in snow keep lift line shorter - we go no matter what conditions are like.

My SUV does not need winter tires. All seasons have done the job for me all of my life even when i did not have a truck. Just have to know how to drive in the winter. Only conditions that suck are freezing rain on cleared roads then again it does not really matter what tire you have.

Puck it

You have the Toyo A/Ts right? When the H/Ts that were on the Tundra when I bought it wear a bit more I will definitely be getting some All Terrains.
Yes A/T on it now, came with all seasons Grandtreks. They were better in sand then the snow.

Puck it

Pussies that are afraid to drive in snow keep lift line shorter - we go no matter what conditions are like.

My SUV does not need winter tires. All seasons have done the job for me all of my life even when i did not have a truck. Just have to know how to drive in the winter. Only conditions that suck are freezing rain on cleared roads then again it does not really matter what tire you have.
I agree. I have never run snows even when I had my 740i. Just to need to know the car and conditions n

xwhaler

Yes A/T on it now, came with all seasons Grandtreks. They were better in sand then the snow.

The Dunlop Grandtreks that are OEM on Toyota trucks are awful in the snow. Had them on my Tacoma and was so happy when I replaced with Firestone A/Ts

wa-loaf

I agree. I have never run snows even when I had my 740i. Just to need to know the car and conditions n

Then why participate in a thread about snow tires? Or do you guys just want to tell us how much better you think you can drive than the rest of us?

deadheadskier

Staff member

Surprised to read this from an engineer.

My FWD car with snows handles vastly better in the snow than my old A6 or Explorer with all seasons.

The way I see it, using snows just prolongs the life of my summer tires. It costs me $40 in the fall and $40 in the spring for swapping. $40 is a tank of gas. Small price to pay for the improved performance.

yeggous

JDMRoma

drjeff

Saying that real snow tires are as good as all seasons in the snow is the equivalent of saying that mid fat all mountain skis are as good in powder as a fully rockered 110+ wide powder ski -you can make it work, but you don't realize how much better the better option is until you try it!

skiNEwhere

Currently running the studded hakkapellita (sp?) 7's on my outback, they have 54,000 miles on them and are just about spent. Not so much because of treadwear, but because I should've gotten an alignment sooner and the inside of the tire is worn. The studs are completely worn at this point, but I've been holding out until late next month to get the hakkapellita 8's.

Their on snow performance is not as good as the blizzaks, even with the studs, but the ice performance is much better. And considering that I could get 60k out of the tire if I ensured that I could keep my wheels aligned, I think it's a better tire.

dlague

My wife uses all season tires on her Volvo an she never has problems. Then again I grew up on VT and she in NH and we are accustom to snow conditions.

deadheadskier

Staff member
My wife uses all season tires on her Volvo an she never has problems. Then again I grew up on VT and she in NH and we are accustom to snow conditions.

I grew up driving in VT too. You're missing the point.

Like I said, you can turn a Phillips screw with a flat head driver. Doesn't mean it's the best tool for the job.

Or as Dr Jeff said, you can ski a midfat in powder, but it doesn't come remotely close to performing as well a 110 waist rockered ski.

dlague

I grew up driving in VT too. You're missing the point.

Like I said, you can turn a Phillips screw with a flat head driver. Doesn't mean it's the best tool for the job.

Or as Dr Jeff said, you can ski a midfat in powder, but it doesn't come remotely close to performing as well a 110 waist rockered ski.

I get it but I just never had issues in the snow so never bothered with spending money on winter tires. Like wise I don't ever ski with a fat ski since I do not want to spend money on gear I barely use. Its ok - To each there own.

BTW we were at Bolton Valley a couple of years ago during a huge snow storm and there were cars all over the place I drive right past them. That is a steep road in spots. So I say my SUV is the right tool for winter. Driving the wrong tool may be the real issue!