• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Feds: VW Cars Deceive Emissions Testers

thetrailboss

Staff member
Hitler came out quick. Pretty funny.

My brother wants to start a class action lawsuit, alleging the loss of four years of environmental smugness. His pain and suffering is, no doubt, exacerbated by the knowledge my twin turbo V8 that gets less than 20 MPG may be cleaner than his Passat diesel.

Two words for him: good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

JimG.

Staff member
It doesn't bother anyone that VW took $51 million in subsidies from the US taxpayer by lying about mileage figures?

I would never buy a VW anyway but these scumbags defrauded consumers and then stole $51 million. If I owned a dog I would train it to piss on every VW in my neighborhood.

bigbog

Maybe so, but you can thank your bought and paid for gov. for that. It's not like they didn't try to enact pollution control laws for the acid rain issue..

Think Washington's effort at legislation was half-hearted...y/n?
Washington/Nixon buckled to industry's blackmail due to Nixon's traits = fear, lack of confidence and very little foresight...add to that the fear of Communism as a successful economic model for the world...

Last edited:

marcski

Westchester County, NY and a Mountain near you!
It doesn't bother anyone that VW took $51 million in subsidies from the US taxpayer by lying about mileage figures?

I would never buy a VW anyway but these scumbags defrauded consumers and then stole $51 million. If I owned a dog I would train it to piss on every VW in my neighborhood.

They didn't lie about the mileage. In fact, the actual mileage is better than advertised and now we know why: because the computer is programmed to turn down/off the emission controls during actual driving conditions. So they didn't lie about mileage, they lied about the vehicles being in compliance with emissions standards. Just sayin'. :roll: And the people who bought the vehicles were just as much duped as the rest of the American taxpayers. So, your dog shouldn't be pissing on innocent victims' vehicles.

wa-loaf

They didn't lie about the mileage. In fact, the actual mileage is better than advertised and now we know why: because the computer is programmed to turn down/off the emission controls during actual driving conditions. So they didn't lie about mileage, they lied about the vehicles being in compliance with emissions standards. Just sayin'. :roll: And the people who bought the vehicles were just as much duped as the rest of the American taxpayers. So, your dog shouldn't be pissing on innocent victims' vehicles.

And I'm sure we'll hear about the IRS coming to collect its subsidies back soon enough. From VW and not the owners. It's a smaller pool since it was only offered for 2009 cars.

ctenidae

http://www.vox.com/2015/9/21/9365667/volkswagen-clean-diesel-recall-passenger-cars

Decent little piece attempting to explain the fraud.
It's intriguing to think about how this all went down. One could image that back in 2007 or 2008, engineers working on clean diesel realized they were going to come up short on hitting the 2009 standards. Sitting in the local biergarten, complaining they just need more time, one of the programmers had a bright idea- they could buy some time with a little piece of code, that no one would notice. Just leave it in until they crack the problem with the Pfetzer valves. One model year, two at most. Easy enough, no harm, no foul.

The marketing guys got hold of the test numbers, and thought, "Bonanza! (or whatever it is in German) We can sell a lot of cars with this number, and boy do we need a break!" To the delight of smug environmentally conscious lead foots everywhere, this was great news. TDi for the win! Unfortunately, the Pfetzer problem turned out to take a bit more than some gauze pads and 3-in-1 oil, and it took 7 years for the engineers to figure it out. After blowing their antifreeze budgets on a bad Prestone/Quaker Sate arbitrage play, they couldn't very well go back to their bosses and kill the proverbial golden goose. So, they left the code operating, and continued to hope no one noticed.

Finally, at some point last year, they realized they had cracked it, and were going to have new, real, clean diesel engines for the 2017 model year. Success! They were saved! And just in time. Except, some tree hugging Dudley Doorights had hired a bunch of boffins in West Virginia, who skipped the code and realized, "Shit, this doesn't work right." Now, all those engineers, who thought they'd bought a little time with an innocent bit of software, are responsible for 480,000 cases of young male depression and 1.1 million cases of angst as people try to decide if they should live grey dull lives because they fixed their car and now it's boring, or if they should live grey dull lives because they didn't fix their car and can't see through the smog.

And all because the neighbor cat's piss was just a little too acidic. Sad, really.

octopus

according to the nfl and espn "tom brady probably most likely knew about this"

JimG.

Staff member
:roll: And the people who bought the vehicles were just as much duped as the rest of the American taxpayers. So, your dog shouldn't be pissing on innocent victims' vehicles.

I guess it's good I don't own one.

Do you own a VW? I would be pissed if I bought one based on emissions/environmental claims.

Cornhead

according to the nfl and espn "tom brady probably most likely knew about this"

If not Tom, Belicheat surely knew. Perhaps he was hired by VW as a consultant. OK New Englanders, let me have it, donned in asbestos.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Tom knew about it. Who do you think VW consulted for this back in the day. :) A liar, a cheater and a Murderer walked into a bar...Oh wait, the Patriots are in town. Now let me go put on my flame suit...Lol.

:lol:

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

Not Sure

Website
www.youtube.com
Judging by the Stock price movement the day before the announcement ,Somebody knew !
A bunch of years ago the Shorts got their asses handed to them , not quite payback but a little change.