• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Feds: VW Cars Deceive Emissions Testers

bvibert

Staff member
Pfft, the emissions rules are bullshit anyway. Most people would rather have the performance instead better pollution control. VW is just giving the people what they wanted. I say good for them, too bad they got caught. Makes me want to go buy a VW TDI (before they get 'fixed') even more now.

ctenidae

Probably a good buying opportunity for VW stock. Especially is, as I suspect he is, bvibert is right on his read of people's attitudes and this has zero, or less, impact on sales.

Scruffy

Pfft, the emissions rules are bullshit anyway. Most people would rather have the performance instead better pollution control. VW is just giving the people what they wanted. I say good for them, too bad they got caught. Makes me want to go buy a VW TDI (before they get 'fixed') even more now.

It's a slippery slope, regardless of what your stance on pollution control is. Do we want corporations using software against us, more than they already overtly do? Is it ok to say, have a a utility company put in software that when you're not looking (monitoring), spins your meter faster? It's all fun and games when our gov spins centrifuges faster in Iran, but really, for a corp. the size and breath of VW to engage in deceptive engineering, that's not a good thing.

bigbog

VW liable for something Washington has been ignoring from the Ohio Valley for decades that's been dropping mercury and arsenic in our NE waters. Think the penalties are a little uneven...y/n?

Scruffy

VW liable for something Washington has been ignoring from the Ohio Valley for decades that's been dropping mercury and arsenic in our NE waters. Think the penalties are a little uneven...y/n?

Maybe so, but you can thank your bought and paid for gov. for that. It's not like they didn't try to enact pollution control laws for the acid rain issue..

Scruffy

Probably a good buying opportunity for VW stock. Especially is, as I suspect he is, bvibert is right on his read of people's attitudes and this has zero, or less, impact on sales.

People should be upset with VW, and it should hurt them on their bottom line. What if you wanted Both performance and clean air, and you were told VW's superior German engineers cracked that nut, you were sold a lie. And, what if it was a safety issue they were being deceptive about, and one of your loved ones were injured unnecessarily because of it - how would you feel then? This is not a good thing and it's an affront to us as consumers as much as sticking it to our gov.

thetrailboss

Staff member
People should be upset with VW, and it should hurt them on their bottom line. What if you wanted Both performance and clean air, and you were told VW's superior German engineers cracked that nut, you were sold a lie. And, what if it was a safety issue they were being deceptive about, and one of your loved ones were injured unnecessarily because of it - how would you feel then? This is not a good thing and it's an affront to us as consumers as much as sticking it to our gov.

Exactly. I think that it is ironic that most of the purchasers wanted a clean diesel.

deadheadskier

Staff member
I don't think most drivers wanted a "clean" diesel; they just wanted a diesel. That engine has much more torque, so its more fun to drive and it gets better mileage.

thetrailboss

Staff member
I don't think most drivers wanted a "clean" diesel; they just wanted a diesel. That engine has much more torque, so its more fun to drive and it gets better mileage.

From the article:

The news that the Volkswagens produce far more pollution than is legal is sure to rattle some VW owners who bought their cars at least in part because of their perceived impact on the environment.

wa-loaf

According to the EPA in the article it is a health risk! OK!

A lot of this remains to shake out still, but the fine the EPA is seeking seems outsized compared to the punishment GM got for hiding a covering up a flaw that killed a lot of people. (some people really should have gone to prison for this!) Same goes for all the Japanese cars with airbags that shoot metal chunks into your head.

Am I upset that VW was being deceptive, yes. Do I think it's as huge as it's being made out to be, No.

There's a great summary of what's known so far, as well as a heated discussion if you want to see what all the TDi nerds think:
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=448053

thetrailboss

Staff member
A lot of this remains to shake out still, but the fine the EPA is seeking seems outsized compared to the punishment GM got for hiding a covering up a flaw that killed a lot of people. (some people really should have gone to prison for this!) Same goes for all the Japanese cars with airbags that shoot metal chunks into your head.

Am I upset that VW was being deceptive, yes. Do I think it's as huge as it's being made out to be, No.

There's a great summary of what's known so far, as well as a heated discussion if you want to see what all the TDi nerds think:
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=448053

In fairness, I was not comparing the VW issue to the GM or Japanese airbag issues.

bvibert

Staff member

From the article:

The article quote is pure speculation, it doesn't prove anything. Nobody buys those things because they think they're helping the environment.

I'm sure some scum bags will be claiming that's the reason they bought the car, so they can get in on a class action lawsuit, but that doesn't mean shit.

wa-loaf

The article quote is pure speculation, it doesn't prove anything. Nobody buys those things because they think they're helping the environment.

I don't think that's true, people buy them for the fuel economy and they are heavily advertised as clean. The combo of both plus being fun to drive is what sells those. If they were just fun to drive, without the benefit of fuel economy and being "clean", what would be the point of dealing with some of the headaches associated with diesel (finding it sometimes, and complicated emissions equipment that can be costly to repair {and that apparently doesn't work!})

This Joplnik article really covers all the ins and outs and has the best summary at the end:

"Or you could sell it and buy a Prius. But then you’d have to own a Prius."

http://jalopnik.com/your-guide-to-dieselgate-volkswagens-diesel-cheating-c-1731857018

ctenidae

Hitler came out quick. Pretty funny.

My brother wants to start a class action lawsuit, alleging the loss of four years of environmental smugness. His pain and suffering is, no doubt, exacerbated by the knowledge my twin turbo V8 that gets less than 20 MPG may be cleaner than his Passat diesel.