• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

USSA Proposes World Cup At Killington

Jully

This is looking increasingly dicey.

How many straight days of <=32 temps would Killington need to pull this off - I imagine they'll relocate every dang gun they can to the race course, but would 5 or 6 days be enough?

I've heard from a few people that its around 72 hours of snowmaking at ideal temps is what's needed. They won't get ideal temps, but a week of temperatures in the low 20s for 8-12 hours at night (and hopefully some continued production during the days) should get them pretty close at least.

jimmywilson69

I believe I read that they had 100 guns on SS last year and were still able to produce snow elsewhere on the mountain due to them bringing in separate compressors for SS.

I hope they pull it off. I would be even more impressive if they did given he had they have been dealt so far this year.

doublediamond

5 days is enough time to make enough snow.

Look at NOAA's short-term climatology forecasts. 6-10 days and 8-14 days are both below average temperatures. Come Tuesday there will be a long snap of cold weather. Just in time. Just like last year. No need to panic.

Even before WC came to K, in al but the warmest of falls, the Superstar pod usually opened only a week or so later than the WC is scheduled for.

They had something like 130 guns running last year while still making snow elsewhere on the mountain. They have since added 30 something new hydrants to Superstar. Last year the compressor pads were full to the brim at both Bear and on Snowshed. They were back to their old rental CFM amount but have much more efficient guns now. That means they can make a lot more snow.

Last edited:

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
All this BS'ing about them not being able to pull it off is going to become very irreverent in a week...Superstar is going to be buried in 2ft+ of snow by next Saturday. The guns should come on Tuesday afternoon and not stop til Sunday or Monday. Maybe some marginal afternoons but any questioning of the success of the event would be due to something crazy like a 3 day rain storm right before the event or 5+ days of record warmth.

Smellytele

All this BS'ing about them not being able to pull it off is going to become very irreverent in a week...Superstar is going to be buried in 2ft+ of snow by next Saturday. The guns should come on Tuesday afternoon and not stop til Sunday or Monday. Maybe some marginal afternoons but any questioning of the success of the event would be due to something crazy like a 3 day rain storm right before the event or 5+ days of record warmth.
Next Friday maybe a little warm but Monday night to Thursday night look good for making snow.

machski

Next Friday maybe a little warm but Monday night to Thursday night look good for making snow.
Where are you seeing that for next Friday? Just watched WMUR and they are forecasting highs only in mid 30's for Manchester NH area starting next Friday. Looks like trends finally turning in snow making favor.

Sent from my XT1650 using AlpineZone mobile app

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
Where are you seeing that for next Friday? Just watched WMUR and they are forecasting highs only in mid 30's for Manchester NH area starting next Friday. Looks like trends finally turning in snow making favor.

Sent from my XT1650 using AlpineZone mobile app

Friday is going to be the day it goes from "autumn cold" to "winter cold"!

VTKilarney

Taken by me this morning.

bd58c7fcb5477838ea881ccae0597633.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

slatham

Top Sugarbush 26. NWS forecast 32. This is why you never take forecasts as gospel. Killington is on their game!

VTKilarney

They are still blowing as of 12:10 this afternoon. I'm surprised since it is warm here at the base.