USSA Proposes World Cup At Killington - Page 47

AlpineZone

Page 47 of 52 FirstFirst ... 374546474849 ... LastLast
    the disco biscuits are playing albany 11/23 and 11/24. i really wanted to go 11/23 and then ski the next day. killington is gonna be such a shitshow tho. i hope stratton is open and worthwhile that weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by thetrailboss View Post
    Pretty cool to see this happen again. It is nice to see a revival of Killington.
    It is great to see this happening on the east coast, however I think "revival" is a bit of a leap.
    Sugarbush skier since 1985.........Think Snow!

Perhaps, but the money going into lifts and South Ridge trail resurrection (however controversial to the vocal minority) this year certainly is trending towards revival. Won't see a full rebirth until (and if) that interconnect is ever built to replace lost acreage, but they're on the right track with the Cup, early and late openings, etc. If I was a K regular or called it home there is not much to complain about going into this year.

id much rather they never complete the interconnect. keep pico uncrowded and special.

While not full world cup, Waterville will follow by hosting the US National Championships in March. Just GS, Slalom, Dual Slalom. Speed events will happen ahead likely out west.

Sent from my XT1650 using AlpineZone mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Newpylong View Post
    Perhaps, but the money going into lifts and South Ridge trail resurrection (however controversial to the vocal minority) this year certainly is trending towards revival. Won't see a full rebirth until (and if) that interconnect is ever built to replace lost acreage, but they're on the right track with the Cup, early and late openings, etc. If I was a K regular or called it home there is not much to complain about going into this year.
    Not sure what South Ridge Trail resurrection you're talking about. There are no new trails. We do get back the lift, but no one is expecting it to run weekdays, and even some weekends it might not. The SR triple used to run only on holidays or big event weekends after Bear opened.

The rebirth to many of us was when Killington returned to the "First to open, last to close" mode.

The real estate market is so slow that the announced Bear Condo project has quietly been shelved.
    https://vermontbiz.com/news/april/ki...-bear-mountain
    No word on the concurrent Bear lodge renovation. If ski-in condos at Bear won't sell, how are you going to sell a more expensive Village that isn't even slope-side? Add in flat skier visits to the State of Vermont, and the interconnect looks a long way off.

I am aware of how little the "fridge" ran, I've been going there since the mid 80's. By resurrecting I mean reinstalling the lift (which is crucial to servicing that pod), and fixing the Pipe Dream snowmaking. Though there are some who think SR is their private stash and enjoy a 45 minute lap down into Bear, up Skye and over K-1 to do it all again, as both an occasional K customer and someone involved in management (elsewhere), I consider that a waste of terrain.

I also don't see the Interconnect happening - not until those visits get way back up.
    Last edited by Newpylong; Sep 8, 2018 at 5:27 PM.

Yeah it's a real shame about those bear condos not happening (for now, at least).

Owning a condo at the base of Devil's Fiddle or Outer Limits would be incredible. Imagine the grill running at noon on a 60 degree April spring day. Build a snow bar and have a couple cold ones while watching people on some of the most unrelenting and legendary terrain in the East.
    2019-2020 0 days and holding...
    "Skiing is the closest you'll get to flying without leaving the ground." -snowmonster

Just wondering when does Bear peak usually open and close for the season? I usually only ski K early or late season.
    2010/11 - 30days 2011/12 - 29days 2012/13 - 40 days 2013/14 - 39 days 2014/15 - 42 days
    2015/2016 -27 days 2016/17 - 51 days 2017/18 - 57 days

Quote Originally Posted by Smellytele View Post
    Just wondering when does Bear peak usually open and close for the season? I usually only ski K early or late season.
    Usually 3rd week of December to the 1st or 2nd weekend in April. They host the mogul challenge and then open the weekend after as a "bonus" weekend (that's they're typical spin on it at least). 2 years ago they went to the 16th (Easter Sunday) and it was amazing with temps in the 70s.
    2019-2020 0 days and holding...
    "Skiing is the closest you'll get to flying without leaving the ground." -snowmonster

Thread Information