• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

USSA Proposes World Cup At Killington

deadheadskier

Staff member
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't Superstar a little flat for a World Cup GS race? The top and bottom obviously have pitch, but the middle is pretty long and flat.

Still pretty cool. Hope they get it. I'd definitely try to go

thetrailboss

Staff member
And POWDR is taking a page from the Park City playbook. POWDR's predecessor, Mr. Badami, made ski racing a big deal at Park City and gave these events a rock concert vibe. I'm sure that is the plan here as well.

drjeff

I'm guessing they wouldn't mention Superstar in the press release if it didn't meet current world cup homoligation standards.

This is an AWESOME idea in my opinion!!

WWF-VT

Better hope that the USSA and FIS don't read the "Killington - Infrastructure Collapse Pending" threads posted at multiple ski forums by Highway Star if Powdr Corp thinks they have any chance of landing this event.

doublediamond

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't Superstar a little flat for a World Cup GS race?

No written rules pertaning to steepness other than for a slalom race. Should note, the lower "footwall" of Superstar is too steep. But what defines "very short parts of the course"? According to the DEM I downloaded, the steep bit exceeds 52% for about 140 feet long. It rarely gets flatter than 33%.

Below are the rules for Ladies' WC SL and GS courses:

FIS ICR said:
800 Slalom

801 Technical Data

801.1 Vertical Drop

801.1.2 Ladies' Courses
For Olympic Winter Games, FIS World Ski Championships and FIS World
Cup:
- 140 - 220 m
For all other FIS races:
- 120 - 200 m

802 The Courses

802.1 General Characteristics of the Course

802.1.1 At Olympic Winter Games and FIS World Ski Championships the course
must be set on slopes with a gradient of approximately 33% to 45%. It
may even be below approximately 33%, but may exceed approximately
52% only in very short parts of the course.

802.2 Width
The course should be approximately 40 m wide, if two runs are set on the
same slope.

900 Giant Slalom

901 Technical Data

901.1 Vertical Drop

901.1.2 Ladies' Courses
- 250 m - 400 m

901.1.3 For Olympic Winter Games, FIS World Ski Championships and FIS World
Cup the minimum vertical drop is 300 m (Ladies and Men).

902 The Courses

902.1 General Characteristics of the Courses
The terrain should preferably be undulating and hilly. The course should
normally have a width of approximately 40 m.
The inspector authorised to homologate the course decides whether this
width is adequate and if necessary can order it to be widened. He can
also permit a width of less than approximately 40 m depending on the line
and terrain requirements, as long as the areas of the course before and
after the narrow part enable this.

Last edited:

thetrailboss

Staff member
It would be cool to see Killington host a big event like this....get the locals and diehards excited.

andrec10

Hyde Park, NY...Hunter on Weekends in the Winter..
No written rules pertaning to steepness other than for a slalom race. Should note, the lower "footwall" of Superstar is too steep. But what defines "very short parts of the course"? According to the DEM I downloaded, the steep bit exceeds 52% for about 140 feet long. It rarely gets flatter than 33%.

Below are the rules for Ladies' WC SL and GS courses:

If they set across the hill, they can get around the steepness at the bottom. Seen it done before. If this happens...I am there!

Last edited:

Jully

If they set across the hill, they can get around the steepness at the bottom. Seen it done before. If this happens...I am there!

The middle section is still pretty flat though. All the recent GS courses I can think of are pretty uniform. If there's a problem with SS it's definitely cause of being too flat, not too steep, but I really doubt there's a problem.

steamboat1

Personally I couldn't care less about a race. My biggest concern with something like this is how it will effect snowmaking operations on the rest of the mountain. But that's me.

doublediamond

The middle section is still pretty flat though. All the recent GS courses I can think of are pretty uniform. If there's a problem with SS it's definitely cause of being too flat, not too steep, but I really doubt there's a problem.

A significant portion (1960 ft., apx, 37% of the length) of the Birds of Prey GS course is less than 33%. Ruthie's GS (Aspen, ladies) has that narrow traverse with about 430 feet less than 33%

doublediamond said:
[Superstar] rarely gets flatter than 33%.

Superstar is nowhere near "too flat."

Last edited:

doublediamond

My biggest concern with something like this is how it will effect snowmaking operations on the rest of the mountain. But that's me.

Superstar probably will be bumped up to #2 on the snowmaking list instead of filling out Snowdon. With Killington Opening mid-October to early-November since the Stairway went in, there won't be any problem except for the very warmest of winters to have . Don't forget that most of the middle/upper portions of Superstar are now lined with the SnowLogic ultra-low-E guns (with half the spacing as the old SR towers), and the bottom is getting several Fan towers this summer. The low-E snowmaking tech really has grown by leaps and bounds the past 3 years or so. Who knows what next winter will bring!