• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

New Project - Why We Hike

wtcobb

Want to introduce my new project I've finally kicked off: Why We Hike. I've been parked on the domain for a year but finally was motivated to start it. The premise is simple: I ask hikers "Why do you hike?" The website is a collection of their photos and answers.

I was inspired by George Mallory's infamous answer about why he was compelled to climb Everest after repeated failures. "Because it is there," he said. My project will explore why people continue to go out into the woods, in inclement weather, in search of hiking lists, etc.

I hope you'll take a visit, enjoy it, and provide feedback. And I hope to see you on the trails!

www.whywehike.com

Thanks, and happy trails.

ski stef

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
So I can eat. more. pizza.

I'm not really sure why I hike - mostly to spend time with my dog I guess and stay in shape. I wish I was out fishing everyday but that's not burning the calories. I might think about this a bit more..

JimG.

Staff member
Turns out hiking (especially the down hike) is kick ass cross training for skiing.

Coming down steep Catskill trails full of loose round rocks works every muscle in my legs especially my ankles.

ScottySkis

Because I love being in mountains not watching TV. Good fun times excellent views. It really cool to hike all the 3500 elevation Catskills in mess then 3/years. Great off season exercise. Good times with friends. Great muscle buildkng for skiing. Cheap once you get good gear no lift tickets needed. And love looking at ski trails seeing how much bigger Catskills are then some of those trails at least by Windam. Love seeing all people with their pets who enjoy being out to.

ThinkSnow

For the fresh air and views.
attachment.php

Attachments

• Tucks.jpg
    Tucks.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 130

bigbog

Remote places always have cool views....and not always figuratively. April 28th 2012...~20mi SW of Katahdin. Temps in high 30s ~1pm. One of those many N.Central Maine backcountry areas that are accessible via logging roads only, old but revisited a bit, but with its secret areas. Wildlife, brooks that beavers turn into bogs and then revert to brooks. Woods varying from medium to thick growth in hardwood, softwood and old growth in areas. Backcountry that one gets introduced to in Jr. HS years...you never forget..

Attachments

• Katahdin from 20mi SW.jpg
    Katahdin from 20mi SW.jpg
    225.3 KB · Views: 56
Last edited:

Porkchop

Because I love being among nature and the mountains. Mountains are Nature's masterpieces, whether by glacier, tectonics, or volcanic activity. They represent remoteness and remind us that we are merely temporary occupiers of this beautiful, old world. I feel much more at peace and alive when I am away from society and among nature. The quiet nights in the forest lit up by endless stars and a bright moon glow is how the world is supposed to look. Without skyscrapers, street lights, or engine noises.

bigbog

Nice! Location of picture?

Porkchop! ...My bad, sorry for not following up...meh, only 9+ months late.

Location: NE of Kokadjo...OR(from the east(~I-95)...north of Brownville Jct(rte ME-11)....
15mi SW of Katahdin, T1 R12 WELS township, Piscataquis County, ME

In the Nahmakanta Maine Public Reserved Land, ~50yds to the north of Penobscot Pond's eastern end. Logging road eventually will take you to the Black Pond Road(or Wadleigh Mtn to the east).
You'd be surprised how much the grown up brush & hardwoods are now covering up the exact vantage point of Katahdin in the 2012 pic.

Last edited:

dlague

We never hiked much back east due to ticks, mosquitoes and humidity. Since we have been in Colorado, none of that exists so we hike a lot now mostly for fitness, scenery and finding new places. Much more comfortable when there is a drier climate. After the last possible skiing is done and before it starts up, that has been our everyday of the weekend plan and use AllTrails to plan things out.

dlague

Colorado, especially in the higher elevations, must be great for hiking, biking and jogging/walking...

MTB still takes the wind out of me on up hill climbs though but it is nice. Lots of multiuse trails including horseback. Very dog friendly too!