• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

And then there were three...

steamboat1

It's true. They both are big machines. Not much character. Give me wildcat sugarbush saddleback and others! Even the small areas are more fun
Big difference between weekends & weekdays. That goes for pretty much anywhere, even Wildcat, Sugarbush & Saddleback.

(although Saddleback could be empty weekends this year too:cry:)

trafficjam

Oh yea your wright but still like those areas. I've been skiing and riding SR from when it was only Barker.. Lol

yeggous

Big difference between weekends & weekdays. That goes for pretty much anywhere, even Wildcat, Sugarbush & Saddleback.

(although Saddleback could be empty weekends this year too:cry:)

Wildcat is empty more often than not. There are rarely lift lines, even on weekends. Even when the quad has lines, there are never ever lines for the fixed grip chairs.

On the busiest weekends it still feels like a small operation. There is only one trail pod. One (small) bar. A tiny rental shop. Nothing like Walmart.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone mobile app

steamboat1

Wildcat is empty more often than not. There are rarely lift lines, even on weekends. Even when the quad has lines, there are never ever lines for the fixed grip chairs.

On the busiest weekends it still feels like a small operation. There is only one trail pod. One (small) bar. A tiny rental shop. Nothing like Walmart.

Probably why they struggle financially. Wouldn't you like them to be more financially sound? There biggest disadvantage is they're only a ski area without the hope of any real estate development, not like Walmart.

Last edited:

Jully

Probably why they struggle financially. Wouldn't you like them to be more financially sound? There biggest disadvantage is they're only a ski area without the hope of any real estate development, not like Walmart.

As long as they stay comfortably afloat, I'm very happy to leave Wildcat the way it is. I'd say the lack of any real estate potential is a big part of why it remains a special place.

I do not know the specifics, but judging by the early season snowmaking being done for the second year in a row, I'd assume their business model last year worked out well enough. They've obviously has difficulty in the past, but I think theyre doing fine now since the snowmaking upgrades and joining with attitash. Could be wrong though, haven't looked terribly close at Peak's financials recently.

deadheadskier

Staff member
As long as they stay comfortably afloat, I'm very happy to leave Wildcat the way it is. I'd say the lack of any real estate potential is a big part of why it remains a special place.

Yup

Very little I'd change

Love that it's just a ski area; not a resort.

I've got family right down the street from Kmart. Free place to stay whenever I want. It could easily be my home mountain. No thanks.

I don't dislike K and do ski there almost every year. But it's definitely too much like Wal-Mart for me to want to go every weekend.

trafficjam

I'm in Maine not far from SR and the Cat do a lot of riding at the cat. And Shawnee is only minutes from me

deadheadskier

Staff member
Big fan of Shawnee. Used to ski there pretty often when I lived in Portland. Great laid back family hill. Several great character trails and skis bigger than what it reads on paper.

yeggous

I picked up the valley pass this year so I plan to hit Shawnee a few times. I really like the local vibe there.

machski

Be interesting to see these tunes change if El Nino makes it a tough weather year. That's when the Walmarts and their stronger financial positions and customer bases really shine.

wtcobb

I picked up the valley pass this year so I plan to hit Shawnee a few times. I really like the local vibe there.

I had a great time late season at Shawnee last year. Definitely a good vibe. Stayed in a yurt in Fryeburg, got some killer food at 302 West. I'd love a repeat this season.

C-Rex

Hi everybody!!! This is my first post of the season and it feels good to be back!

Ahhh... some things never change. Everyone is thinking about skiing/riding but most can't get out there yet so we spend our time arguing over stupid things on the internet instead. I'm so glad that AZ hasn't grown up while I was away over the summer. What else would entertain me at work? I can only spend so long looking at my fantasy football lineup.

Savemeasammy sent me a picture his friend took at Killington, and I have to say it looked pretty good. Kudos to the resorts that open simply to lengthen the season for the die-hards and promote their brand. I just wish I lived closer so I could take advantage.

JimG.

Staff member
Happy new ski season C-Rex! Maybe you and Scotty and I can actually hook up for some turns this winter.