• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Home from the hospital : update

Warp Daddy

Home 3 days after surgery , now 11 days out . ,8 days at home

Walking 1200 ft aday , doing 12 exercises with 10 reps each TWICE a Day , nothing stonger than Tylenol needed for pain , still swelling but that is normal . vIsiting nurse said IDEAL patient ,no need for home based PT based on what im doing .
Will see doc monday to get surgical staples etc removed and hopefully get a pass to go to hospital based PT ( for me its social , been going there each week f or past 61/2 yrs as a gym workout .

hopefully will convince doc that my mobility on the walker has progessed to wherei can use critchesor a cane AND get rid of the hospital bed i rented for our first floor and i will move to our second floor for sleeping ..

pretty satisfiedso far , pain low mainly ache and i have an angel for a partner ,The Queen of the Hop has been my home PTA and done a great job managing this recovery as nurse , chef , pta , confidant ,coach etc .. I can NEVER repay her

deadheadskier

Staff member
Great to hear Warp! I'm sure the Queen will have you whipped back into shape in no time. Patience and steady dedication will put this all behind you in no time.

Andrew B.

I had my hip replaced in May and rode 50miles in my road bike Sunday. I was at SR for opening day but chose to hold back. It was hard based on how good it feels but I think waiting until I ski a groomer or two before doing anything like WROD skiing would be smart

Warp Daddy

Thank you one and all for your kind words of encouragement YOU guys are the BEST:spread:Andrew B welcome to the forum and thanks for your insight , SO happy that you are almost back in the game brother ! aNdrec your feedback is much appreciated and inspirational .

i am pumped for a 72 yo , "ole new hippy "

warp

Cornhead

Keep up the good work Warp, sounds like you'll be back sliding in no time. Was your incision done on the front? My Dad's was, my Mom's wasn't, hers was done on the side, same doc, three years between her, and his, surgery. I guess doing it from the front is something new. It allows for more lateral movement right off the bat.

What I meant to say is you'll be back TO sliding, not back sliding. Back sliding is my specialty. Good luck with your rehab.

Last edited:

Warp Daddy

Cornhead

My incision was posterior ,actually kind of on the flank rather than the butt.....having no real issues other than normal swelling which is better each day . I am plesed so far AND no pain just ache managed by simple Tylenol .my doc does it fast , not much blood loss , been doing them in fla for 3 decad s and his outcomes are superior but all that said , i had several doctor friends or their family go thru this with him and were extremely positive and he did a double header on my ski buddy last yr with very good results

deadheadskier

Staff member
Flank to posterior is certainly more common. I ran Xray on a few anterior, but many more posterior. The line of thinking was that anterior would heal faster because there's less muscle trauma involved with the incision. No real proof though as all patients heal on their own schedule.

In general it seemed that whatever the doctor is most comfortable/proficient at doing should be the route taken. One anterior I saw was the doc's first solo attempt. It took a LONG time. He was in my casual eye's view the best orthopaedic surgeon in the hospital too.

Warp Daddy

My surgeon who as a Board of Directors type i helped recruit to our regional medical center was of the same opinion .

He felt that the anterior method preferred by SOME surgeons is not necessarily the best way yet since it has not yet achieved the depth of longitudinal study over the long run and has resulted in some less than satisfactory outcomes . it undoubtedly works for many but he felt it just wasnt THERE yet . He further explaned why .

As i said he was in Florida practicing for decades and his outcomes as previously stated are strong so i went that way aFter looking at several friend who he had done AND an added plus , the guy IS A SKIER who "gets " it

QUOTE=deadheadskier;917930]Flank to posterior is certainly more common. I ran Xray on a few anterior, but many more posterior. The line of thinking was that anterior would heal faster because there's less muscle trauma involved with the incision. No real proof though as all patients heal on their own schedule.

In general it seemed that whatever the doctor is most comfortable/proficient at doing should be the route taken. One anterior I saw was the doc's first solo attempt. It took a LONG time. He was in my casual eye's view the best orthopaedic surgeon in the hospital too.[/QUOTE]

wa-loaf

Welcome back! YOu'll be back on the slopes before the end of the season!

Rikka

Healing vibes to you !!

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone mobile app

Warp Daddy

Update : 1 st ck up , staples out ,things looking good , go on cane now , start hospital based thursday , looking good . Still swollen in knee but normal

Dickc

Warp, It sounds like this one went perfectly and that you are doing all the right things. Keep it up and skiing will be your reward!:spread::snow: