• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Sunday River predictions for the weekend 10/31 - 11/1

skiMEbike

I am trying to get a sense of whether or not Sunday River will be open for the weekend & more importantly whether they will offer up top to bottom. If the stars align I may be able to get out on Sunday, however I don't really want to go if it is not top to bottom (been there done that & don't really want to do the download thing). So the web page was updated last night and states:

"...winter-like chill is working its way back into the air. Tomorrow evening, temps should be back in the snowmaking zone. When that happens, we'll fire up the guns and work our magic on the hill. Check back here Friday afternoon for an update on opening. We can't make any promises either way until we hear from mountain ops tomorrow, but that gang of pros is really good at what they do and they are stubborn. Right now, they are not ready to give up on our weekend plans for skiing and snowboarding. No sir. No ma'am. "

Based on temp forecast & chance for snowmaking, I got to think they will be offering something to ski...I am trying to figure out the chance of having for top to bottom....So lets hear from the Sunday River "experts" on what may be open on Sunday.

*BTW...From the skiesta web cam this morning, T2 & punch are still white...More importantly though, it APPEARS that they are making snow on the top half of White Heat, however not really sure due to the pic quality....Interesting if they were.

Last edited:

yeggous

I give even odds that they can open T2. Very unlikely that they open to the bottom. Last weekend it was pretty smoked. Doubt there is much of anything at the bottom now.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone mobile app

Vortex

They are going to make a try at it. Weird, snow forecast.com. Shows marginal snowmaking conditions all day up top. I don't believe it. Local forecasts show temps down in lower 20's. tonight. Walking was required to make it to the very bottom last weekend. My guess is up top will be okay on T2 with a night of snowmaking. Anything else will be a wait and see. Costumes and turns. Hope it happens. I am going up Sat Night to Ski Sunday. The Web Cam has had the appearance of snow making all year on White Heat. No snow being made there. Lost of good press if they open up. K has announced they will not open this weekend.

dlague

On Face book posted the 25th Three open trails, a jib park, and top-to-bottom skiing if you're willing to walk a bit at the bottom. The official report from Patrol is that things are "kinda wet but the surface is amazing." Not too shabby for October. Now that was 5 days ago before the rain and warm temps. The two week trend is not that great looking ahead.

Vortex

On Face book posted the 25th Three open trails, a jib park, and top-to-bottom skiing if you're willing to walk a bit at the bottom. The official report from Patrol is that things are "kinda wet but the surface is amazing." Not too shabby for October. Now that was 5 days ago before the rain and warm temps. The two week trend is not that great looking ahead.

That was an accurate report.

SIKSKIER

This may be one of the few times SR's lower elevation has the upper hand over K.The Mt Washington Obs report:
High pressure will settle across New England overnight, with temperatures slowly rising after midnight as a strong inversion develops across the higher elevations.

drjeff

This may be one of the few times SR's lower elevation has the upper hand over K.The Mt Washington Obs report:
High pressure will settle across New England overnight, with temperatures slowly rising after midnight as a strong inversion develops across the higher elevations.

Exactly, Inversion is the key thing to often remember in the fall where the "battle" between warmer air and colder air is active, and the way we often think of things in the winter months where higher elevation ='s colder temps very often isn't the case until we truly get a winter weather pattern entrenched

Tin

Not sure what is going on but didn't see any guns going at SR this morning. K is currently blowing on the ridge for some reason (temps in the 50s this week).

drjeff

Not sure what is going on but didn't see any guns going at SR this morning. K is currently blowing on the ridge for some reason (temps in the 50s this week).

SR might of been done already, the window they were hoping for was at best a small one, and at worst might not of materialized. They needed a few weather variables to come together just right to create what from the get go was only going to be a short (6 to maybe 8 hours maximum) window to make snow. It's not about Sunday River's desire and effort and commitment to make snow, last night was going to be all about mother nature giving them the opportunity to make snow!