• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

How Many Ski Days for the 2015 - 16 season?

BenedictGomez

I shoot for 20 each year. I dont know how people get 50+ days unless they're self-employed or something, but it's just not a goal I can realistically swing.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Ski season is 26 weeks on average. Ski every weekend and you're at 52 days without even factoring in a vacation.

yeggous

Ski season is 26 weeks on average. Ski every weekend and you're at 52 days without even factoring in a vacation.

Yes. I easily get into the 60s each season. Night skiing can really help pad that number. Any day there is accumulation I'm headed to the mountain by 3pm.

I just started a new job 4 weeks ago. This does not leave me with any vacation in the bank so my day total may take a hit this year.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone mobile app

skiNEwhere

My last job had really weird hours where I worked 2nd shift (2-10) and had Tuesday's and Sunday's off. I tried to ski everyday I had off, and if conditions were really good I'd ski a half morning before work

Near the end I started working 3rd shift (9PM-5AM), and I would drive to Breck after my shift, park for free in the parking lot (since there were no attendants to take my money at that time :) ), sleep a couple hours in the car and then ski. May seem crazy to some, but for me it's all about making sacrifices. In my case it was sleep lol

Last edited:

Terry

I shoot for 20 each year. I dont know how people get 50+ days unless they're self-employed or something, but it's just not a goal I can realistically swing.

I live 15 mins from Shawnee Peak with night skiing. I ski both days on weekends, 2-3 nights a week, and climb for turns after the mt closes for the season.

dlague

I live 15 mins from Shawnee Peak with night skiing. I ski both days on weekends, 2-3 nights a week, and climb for turns after the mt closes for the season.

my issue is that I really do not enjoy night skiing so hitting 50 is tough.

I am the opposite, enjoy night skiing at Gunstock but do not enjoy earning turns! We made 50+ for the first time last year. We generally skied in the mid to upper thirties in years past. Last year we committed to every day of every weekend starting in December through to the end of April that will get around 44 days then add in holidays, hopefully a couple days in November and a few more in May, throw in 4-5 times night skiing plus a week long trip - 50 is very doable. Trips out west really does not gain you much since two weekend days are spent traveling.

So ....

40 of 44 weekend days (December 1 - April 30)
7-10 days of skiing in November and May
4-5 times night skiing
5 days during vacation
2-3 midweek sick days?

wtcobb

I typically shoot for 20. Winter hiking and climbing take out a few potential ski days, but I'm alright with the balance. With a touring setup this year the hike/ski days can be combined.

redwinger

My goal is always 20. With a wife that doesn't ski it's a lot of day trips to Cannon and "work from home" Friday's

Huck_It_Baby

Was hoping to, but it's looking kinda bare. If this storm Wednesday doesn't deliver I wouldn't be surprised if they pushed their opening day back.

Bottom of River run looks bare but it did last year at opening as well. Assuming they open I'm going Sat regardless of rocks and WROD.

xlr8r

Hope for 25 which would be a new high for me, but typically end up around 20-22/