• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Mt Hale, NH 10/30/15

Cannonball

Pound for pound Mt Hale might be some of the most vert in the Whites. It's a short distance to the summit at only 2.2 miles. But it is all UP from the car to the summit. No approach, no breaks, no vistas.

Screenshot_2015-10-30-19-46-02.jpg

As a skin & ski it gets negative points because the access road gets closed in the winter and makes for a long flat approach. As a hiking trail though it's an 'easy' way to bag a 4k in a short distance.

It's classic shoulder season right now with nice cold temps for hiking and only the slightest hint of ice and snow

IMG_20151030_143604901.jpg

IMG_20151030_140835067.jpg

Not much of a summit view (none at all really). In some ways that was a good excuse, because it was cold and windy so lingering want very appealing.

It's a great hike that I've put off for too long. The hiking conditions are perfect in Whites right now. Get it while it's good!

wtcobb

Nice! Hale gets a bad rap for not having the summit view, but the cascades along the trail and very nice. I'd like to do it in winter to see the area iced up, but for that approach...

As for skinning, I believe the approach here is about the same as from Haystack Rd. (about 2.5 miles).