• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Who's Open 2015-2016

dlague

Since we seem to be talking about other ski areas blowing snow in the K/SR threads, thought it is time for a thread focused to ski area openings/snow-making and even some speculation.

For now we have Killington and Sunday River for sure.

There are rumors for this weekend - Bretton Woods and WildCat

xwhaler

I'd like to think Loon and WV may have something this coming wknd?
WV lists 11/21 as their target opening day and Loon has a decent early season setup with upload/download off the gondola.
For VT I'd think Okemo probably comes on line as well.

yeggous

Since we seem to be talking about other ski areas blowing snow in the K/SR threads, thought it is time for a thread focused to ski area openings/snow-making and even some speculation.

For now we have Killington and Sunday River for sure.

There are rumors for this weekend - Bretton Woods and WildCat

Wildcat is very unlikely. They chose to sit out this weekend's cold spell. They need a solid 48 hours of sustained cold to open given the rocky terrain.

Bretton Woods seems likely. They may even open in the next couple of days. Bretton Woods only needs 24 hours of cold to cover the grass on Range View.

Sent from my iPad using AlpineZone mobile app

machski

Bretton Woods because of the gentle, grassy terrain is a good bet. Okemo may be in play quickly too as they laid down snow most of the day Sunday. Loon and WV this weekend? I seriously doubt that much, neither tried to lay down anything yet. Going to be a slow and limited start this season. I'll take this and a deep spring season to make up would be great (just sayin Mother Nature)...

steamboat1

I wouldn't count out Stowe. They have a lot of snowmaking fire power up there.

Today's report:

Stowe’s scheduled opening day for the 2015-2016 winter season is Saturday, November 21st (weather permitting). Our world-class snowmaking team continues to make snow at every opportunity possible, and they had a productive weekend with up to 150 snow guns running top-to-bottom on the following trails: Upper Lord, Lord, Ridgeview, Lower Ridgeview, Fifth Avenue, Upper Hayride, North Slope and Lower North Slope. In addition, Mother Nature supplemented their efforts with up to 6” of natural snowfall on the upper half of the mountain.

As of 12pm Monday, temperatures remain below freezing on the upper mountain and snowmaking continues on Upper Lord & Ridgeview. The forecast calls for cold temperatures in the base area tonight, so the snowmakers are getting prepared to for an all out blitz on the lower mountain. As the temperatures drop this evening, snowmaking will make its way down Lord, North Slope & Lower North Slope into the Mansfield base area.

By tomorrow afternoon temperatures will again support snowmaking only in the higher elevations, but tomorrow night our snowmakers may get another chance to fire up the guns in the base area. Rest assured they will be making snow at every available opportunity and for as long as temperatures persist. This report will be updated tomorrow with all the latest snowmaking news, so until then keep doing those snow dances and cross your fingers for a very cold night.

Tin

After today the next time Stowe will not be able to blow on the lower mountain is Saturday night. That along with almost an inch of rain Thursday makes their opening unlikely.

I'm excited to see what K does in order to get t2b for Thanksgiving. It could be a snowmaking assault the likes of which have never been seen. Mother nature might help out too.

Praise be to Ullr.

yeggous

After today the next time Stowe will not be able to blow on the lower mountain is Saturday night. That along with almost an inch of rain Thursday makes their opening unlikely.

I'm excited to see what K does in order to get t2b for Thanksgiving. It could be a snowmaking assault the likes of which have never been seen. Mother nature might help out too.

Praise be to Ullr.

Why do you think this requires an assault or is an accomplishment? It takes an entire two days of snowmaking. Sunday River is already there, and was back on October 18. Most other mountains start top to bottom, and do so quickly.

steamboat1

That's not what I'm seeing. Projected lows for both tonight & tomorrow night are in the low 20's at the Airport (elev. 1165ft.). They've already blown snow on the lower mountain over the weekend so they're not starting from scratch. Thursday will hurt everyone. Like I said I wouldn't count them out.

Tin

Why do you think this requires an assault or is an accomplishment? It takes an entire two days of snowmaking. Sunday River is already there, and was back on October 18. Most other mountains start top to bottom, and do so quickly.

Because they also shoot to get Skyelark, SS Headwall, and Bittersweet open for Thanksgiving weekend to spread things out. Top to Bottom down Snowdon and the SS Pod is a hell of a lot of snowmaking.

Tin

That's not what I'm seeing. Projected lows for both tonight & tomorrow night are in the low 20's at the Airport (elev. 1165ft.). They've already blown snow on the lower mountain over the weekend so they're not starting from scratch. Thursday will hurt everyone. Like I said I wouldn't count them out.

Just saw tomorrow night. I stand corrected.

VTKilarney

Bretton Woods has already begun blowing snow, so they are definitely a possibility.

xwhaler

WV not opening this wknd...from their site:
[h=3]Today's Notes[/h]12:32pm, Monday 16th November 2015
Updates filed after 3:00 PM reflect the next day's conditions.
We're waiting for the temperatures to drop and should be making snow soon. IUnfortunately, that won't be in time for our projected November 21st Opening Day. We'll keep you posted as it keeps cooling down. THINK SNOW!

JDMRoma

Bretton Woods looks close ! Head of operations had her pic posted in FB going down range view. Bet they I
Open Wednesday..... Before the warm up

Hope they offer the 19 dollar tickets online !

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

slatham

Cold is hanging in longer than forecasted, and models have been too slow bringing it back in but are getting the picture of possibly Friday. I think Stowe has a great shot at this weekend.