• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

I need a reason NOT to ski at Okemo

frapcap

Have a couple of beers, leave one of your skis at the bottom of the hill and practice carving on one ski all the way down. Repeat on alternating feet until you fall too much/you need another beer.

redwinger

Have you ever skied ripcord at sugarbush at the end of the day?

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

Yeah, when it's bumped up it's tough, but I'd imagine someone that doesn't like bumps isn't going to ski that anyway.

cdskier

Yeah, when it's bumped up it's tough, but I'd imagine someone that doesn't like bumps isn't going to ski that anyway.

I interpreted benski's comment as referring to it being scraped off and "firm" thus being challenging without bumps...

deadheadskier

Staff member
White Nitro and Gondi Line at Sugarloaf would be similar examples.

In fact they might be the best examples of groomed trails in New England that have a bit of pucker factor

manhattanskier

Website
www.patriotbrass.org
Okemo is the kind of place you take your significant other who can barely ski and make them feel great. If you can turn and make a full stop, you have already graduated to anything else. I am happy k am not the only person who thought the "glades" we're the biggest scam ever lol

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
You guys are too funny, AND you make some excellent points. The ones about good company are one reason I'll ski at places like Mt. Cranmore, BW or Okemo. But would I sacrifice one Ski-VT voucher on Okemo? That rips at my heart, which is why I posed the question, about why I should not.

I agree, you can always find something fun to do. When it's wall to wall groomed, when my friends insist I ski Gondolier at Stowe I do as you guys suggest. Click into my SL skis (70 under foot), and just carve GS turns from wall to wall at mach schnell speed. Knuckle dragging and sometimes shoulder dragging (which can be exhilarating from time to time) can be fun, but I'm at the point where I'm not skiing to get better, just skiing to have fun and enjoy this short life.

Back in the day, I used to ski Okemo a lot, when it was all poma lifts, grass and rocks poked through and the trails were narrow. Ice was alway present, but all those obstacles could be overcome That was challenging, and that's all I ever expected skiing to be. We'd ski open to close, and sleep like bears. Okemo ain't nothing like I remember.

I'm sure we all know people who never, ever get beyond the beginner, or the PC term "lower intermediate" or "advancing intermediate" for their entire life. But for them, it seem less about the skiing and more about the social aspects. Of course I'm a snow snob,and that's why God made MRG, Sugarbush, Stowe and Jay in the Northeast. I'm not trying to dump on Okemo at all. Different strokes for different folks. The lady friend has no problems kicking back on a groomer while I'm off on some near-suicide mission. But I just don't see much at Okemo that would keep me entertained. I am usually entertained for about 1 on 2 minutes on some challenging stuff, then it just feels like a excruiating long runout back to the lift.

Regardless, that's for the discussion. It's galvanized in my mind the better approach is to convince her that other, more challenging places have a lot of great groomers, plus plenty of stuff for me to play in. :)

rocks860

Okemo is the kind of place you take your significant other who can barely ski and make them feel great. If you can turn and make a full stop, you have already graduated to anything else. I am happy k am not the only person who thought the "glades" we're the biggest scam ever lol

Exactly, I took my gf there who had just started snowboarding and she felt awesome about conquering Jackson gore

Madroch

Often ski it early season- they seem to do okay despite latitude and elevation working against them.. Lapped the bubble yesterday for 20 runs- good terrain to work out the kinks and get the legs back into it...

gmcunni

Why wait that long? Okemo Fri. 12/11 $42, Sat. 12/12 $46. Lot's of other dates throughout the season for ski club/ council members.

i'd go later for better conditions, pre-christmas can be a crap shoot. i don't have it in front of me but i think 1/31 was the first weekend post christmas.

KevinF

I agree, you can always find something fun to do. When it's wall to wall groomed, when my friends insist I ski Gondolier at Stowe I do as you guys suggest. Click into my SL skis (70 under foot), and just carve GS turns from wall to wall at mach schnell speed.

Why are you making GS turns on SL skis? :wink:

tnt1234

The only time I've skied Okemo was when my kids were very young. Like 5 and 7 I think...We pulled them out of school, had the place to ourselves, and got 8" the day we arrived and 12 two nights later.

Given the kids age, we couldn't stray too far from Jackson Gore with out them in tow. So I skied jackson Gore stuff, there are a couple of tree runs there, and there were bumps everywhere in the new snow. It wasn't steep, but you know, in fresh snow, anything is fun....We had a really nice time though. I think the kids would be bored there now though.

tnt1234

Having said that, we might end up there for a day over X-mas break if Magic isn't open...