• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

I need a reason NOT to ski at Okemo

cdskier

Well nevermind then! Okemo is a waste of money. Save your money and ski the groomers at Bromley. You won't know the difference other than your wallet being a little thicker.

Hah...I totally misread that original post as well. All these pages of this post I've been thinking the wrong thing!

steamboat1

Don't know if it was mentioned in this thread yet but another reason not to ski Okemo is they charge $8 for bag storage. DHS mentioned this in another thread.

Madroch

I think they also have free bins... Or else I used them without paying....

dlague

There are plenty of places to put your bag for free upstairs!

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

deadheadskier

Staff member
There are the free cubbies upstairs......with signs everywhere warning of theft, which is a legitimate problem at Okemo.

As a kid we had two bags stolen from the base lodge. Nothing valuable in those bags, just shoes and our lunch. Following the second episode we started bringing our bag up to the Sugarhouse lodge after booting up for the day.

As mentioned prior, almost always kids from Springfield. Pretty much weekly there'd be articles in the Black River Tribune of people getting arrested for either stealing bags and skis from the mountain or from local shops.

JoeB-Z

Okemo has a new locker/changing room downstairs in the main lodge. It is really quite nice with free bag storage. As everyone says, the terrain is sad. There is literally no expert skiing. I went on Sunday because they have a food drive twice a year and a ticket is $39. I did lots of laps, no lines. The new RFID system works well but the transducers are placed too high for kids. The place is really well run with excellent staff. Next week sister mountain Sunapee is $35 on Sunday with 5 food items for additional cheap boring skiing.

dlague

Okemo has a new locker/changing room downstairs in the main lodge. It is really quite nice with free bag storage. As everyone says, the terrain is sad. There is literally no expert skiing. I went on Sunday because they have a food drive twice a year and a ticket is $39. I did lots of laps, no lines. The new RFID system works well but the transducers are placed too high for kids. The place is really well run with excellent staff. Next week sister mountain Sunapee is $35 on Sunday with 5 food items for additional cheap boring skiing.

I take Okemo for cruising and can have fun with it. We often ski South Face, Glades Peak and Quantum lifts. As far as Sunapee - no thanks!

spiderpig

There are the free cubbies upstairs......with signs everywhere warning of theft, which is a legitimate problem at Okemo.

As a kid we had two bags stolen from the base lodge. Nothing valuable in those bags, just shoes and our lunch. Following the second episode we started bringing our bag up to the Sugarhouse lodge after booting up for the day.

As mentioned prior, almost always kids from Springfield. Pretty much weekly there'd be articles in the Black River Tribune of people getting arrested for either stealing bags and skis from the mountain or from local shops.

I guess I'm lucky to have never had anything stolen for as many times as I've been there, and when younger mostly leaving stuff upstairs at the main base.

deadheadskier

Staff member
I guess I'm lucky to have never had anything stolen for as many times as I've been there, and when younger mostly leaving stuff upstairs at the main base.

I'm sure that's the case with many folks. I just know it was a big problem when my folks had a place in town from 88-2002. We had our house broken into three times during that stretch as well.

Whitey

I'm sure that's the case with many folks. I just know it was a big problem when my folks had a place in town from 88-2002. We had our house broken into three times during that stretch as well.

I had a bag stolen from Stratton about 4 yrs ago. I couldn't believe someone took it. It was a baseball player's style backpack that I bought at a sports authority for like $30 (my kid's boots were still small so that bag was better size than a full blown boot bag). All it had in it was 2 pairs of shoes, some spare googles/gloves/hats. Nothing that would be valuable to anyone but us. Worst part was that when we were gearing up that morning I had already stashed my bag but forget to put my shoes in it. So I shoved my shoes into my kid's bag. So when they stole my kid's bag - they got my shoes too. We were driving home after skiing so I had to drive home in my socks. When I had to stop for gas - I had to put my ski boots back on. Got some weird looks from people as I was standing there pumping gas in my ski boots. I hate the people who stole my kids bag. . .

Smellytele

I had a bag stolen from Stratton about 4 yrs ago. I couldn't believe someone took it. It was a baseball player's style backpack that I bought at a sports authority for like $30 (my kid's boots were still small so that bag was better size than a full blown boot bag). All it had in it was 2 pairs of shoes, some spare googles/gloves/hats. Nothing that would be valuable to anyone but us. Worst part was that when we were gearing up that morning I had already stashed my bag but forget to put my shoes in it. So I shoved my shoes into my kid's bag. So when they stole my kid's bag - they got my shoes too. We were driving home after skiing so I had to drive home in my socks. When I had to stop for gas - I had to put my ski boots back on. Got some weird looks from people as I was standing there pumping gas in my ski boots. I hate the people who stole my kids bag. . .

Should have taken your liners out and walk around in those. A little better than the whole boot. That sucks when shit gets stolen.