I need a reason NOT to ski at Okemo

AlpineZone

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Question I need a reason NOT to ski at Okemo

I'm really talking about skiing challenge.

I've stayed away from Okemo since the 90's when the whole place was boulevard-ed and flattened out. I went last year and simply could not find a challenging thing except for perhaps some 20 second chutes. Now I've a friend in my club who is adamant that I would have a great time. I might blow off her opinion, if she wasn't such a damned fine, smokin fast skier. That said, she's not interested in off-piste or bumps. She said someone would need "to show me". I understand the show-don't-tell rule, but at Okemo? So what's to love for an "advanced" (never an "expert") skier? That is, enough to keep me entertained for an entire day? I went last season one time and was bored to tears. Do I really want to drop change and a precious ski day there?

Maybe the best way to convince me is to do a comparison to something that has some serious challenges. Let's say, like Sugarbush, Stowe, Jay. I don't ski Kmart, so that wouldn't help.

Thoughts?
    Sent from my TACPOD (Tactical Airborne Command, Control, Communications and Intelligence Pod) using Satellite TADIL J Alternate Gateway Controller (Alternate STGC) via Blackjack

I ski one or two days a year there, did a full 3-day weekend a few years back. My day is Jackson Gore from 9am-11am, cross over the main face during the lunch break, and lap the woods off of South Face and Glades from noon on till the end of the day. Lot's and lot's to explore over there. Some steep and tight, some wide-open with a little less pitch. And when I say visible I mean VERY visible trees... never gets skied because that's the clientele.
    2019-2020 2 days and counting...
    Killington: 11/15 Mount Snow: 11/27
    "Skiing is the closest you'll get to flying without leaving the ground." -snowmonster

I usually ski with abandon and generally have no clue what trail I'm on. I might have skied it, I honestly don't know. Can you compare Jackson Gore area trail double blacks with another ski area's trails?

What I don't like about what I see, in general is that most trails including Jackson Gore are a straight shot boulevard. I'd much prefer a surprise around every trail bend.
    Last edited by billski; Nov 23, 2015 at 5:39 PM.
    Sent from my TACPOD (Tactical Airborne Command, Control, Communications and Intelligence Pod) using Satellite TADIL J Alternate Gateway Controller (Alternate STGC) via Blackjack

Quote Originally Posted by ss20 View Post
    I ski one or two days a year there, did a full 3-day weekend a few years back. My day is Jackson Gore from 9am-11am, cross over the main face during the lunch break, and lap the woods off of South Face and Glades from noon on till the end of the day. Lot's and lot's to explore over there. Some steep and tight, some wide-open with a little less pitch. And when I say visible I mean VERY visible trees... never gets skied because that's the clientele.
    And you repeat that every day?

Not following you on the "visible trees" thing...

Simon says don't ski Okemo. There, now you have a reason.

Quote Originally Posted by HowieT2 View Post

This is the reason not to ski Okemo.
    Last edited by Tin; Nov 23, 2015 at 6:21 PM.
    My couch might pull out but I send it.

what's not to like skiing with a damn fine ,smokin hot, fast skiing lady, shut up and ski.try and keep up then Apre'

BillSki. C'mon man! Say it together "Slokemo". Flatter than "flatton". Boooooooooring. This is where my Dad skied when he retired (from skiing!) But, people do like it. An F-load of them. So they wait around in boring lift lines to be bored skiing. But they don't like to be out in the elements so O built their well-heeled customers two bubblechairs to protect their sorry asses. There are plenty of areas that offer challenge as you go further north and one just south. But if somehow you end up in Ludlow, have a beer, get a nice pair of boots fitted and then get the hell out of Dodge!

I hope she is not as flat as Okemo.
    My couch might pull out but I send it.

Thread Information