• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Catskills snowmaking?

tnt1234

Any place in the Catskills able to make snow over the holiday?

Planned to start the season on the 12, but not sure anyone in driving distance will be open.

Doesn't look like the Pokes stand a chance. Pinning my hopes on the Catskills....

andrec10

Hyde Park, NY...Hunter on Weekends in the Winter..
Any place in the Catskills able to make snow over the holiday?

Planned to start the season on the 12, but not sure anyone in driving distance will be open.

Doesn't look like the Pokes stand a chance. Pinning my hopes on the Catskills....

I would say Hunter, Belleayre and Windham should be open by this weekend. They are all currently making snow.

ScottySkis

I can't copy and paste photos from my mobile so look T Plattekill. Com of for their Facebook page and some nice picture s of current snow makie storm that going on now their. Money spent is deffinly paying off from what it likes.

skiadikt

surprised "the snowmaking capitol of the world isn't open yet". skied there most of the 80's until i made the full-time move to k. my recollection is that they usually were able to open on black friday (which was a ski patrol benefit day if i recall). we sometimes (probably rarely) skied the weekend before t-giving. has it been that warm this season? you'd think with their "investments in snow making we made this summer, our snow making team has been able to pump out snow more quickly and efficiently" that they'd be able to open especially compared to the "primitive" technology of the 80's. it is possible i'm misremembering ...

andrec10

Hyde Park, NY...Hunter on Weekends in the Winter..
surprised "the snowmaking capitol of the world isn't open yet". skied there most of the 80's until i made the full-time move to k. my recollection is that they usually were able to open on black friday (which was a ski patrol benefit day if i recall). we sometimes (probably rarely) skied the weekend before t-giving. has it been that warm this season? you'd think with their "investments in snow making we made this summer, our snow making team has been able to pump out snow more quickly and efficiently" that they'd be able to open especially compared to the "primitive" technology of the 80's. it is possible i'm misremembering ...

The pending sale to Peak Resorts probably has something to do with it!

BenedictGomez

surprised "the snowmaking capitol of the world isn't open yet"....... has it been that warm this season?

It's been that warm this season......

The pending sale to Peak Resorts probably has something to do with it!

But this could have something to do with it too.

If it isnt the obvious answer that the weather has been terrible, there are two logical possibilities:

1) Ownership doesn't want to spend money in something they only technically "own" for a handful more days
2) SKIS doesn't want them to spend money on minimal return and/or this will lead to favorable 2016/2017 comps