• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Wildcat 2015-16 Thread

jack97

View attachment 19138

Edit: Shouldn't we move this to the main skiing forum?

The fresh snow is legit. I was up there Sunday (2/21), lift lion had soft bumps ..... been a long time since I skied stuff like that. Trail with no grooming had freshies but was skied off by lunch. Lower mountain have dust on crust on the sides and got softer by mid morning. After lunch, boiler plate at lower mtn and was damn scary with dull edges.

Get some, the rain might come back.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Damn. Jealous. Won't be there again until Sunday.

Even with good edges, Wildcat has been challenging after noon most days I've been this season

Skikarl

How is the snow after Saturday's rain. I was there on Saturday and the fresh snow was great but it started to rain around 3.

jack97

^^^ Groomed trails was packed powder near the summit and stayed that way for the better part of the day. Mid mountain to lower progressed from granular to boilerplate. Elevation was factor on Sunday. Sometime after 2:00 pm, I wanted to hit lift lion some more or poached top cat but thought better of it because my legs were tired and the lower trails was all skied off.

Skikarl

^^^ Groomed trails was packed powder near the summit and stayed that way for the better part of the day. Mid mountain to lower progressed from granular to boilerplate. Elevation was factor on Sunday. Sometime after 2:00 pm, I wanted to hit lift lion some more or poached top cat but thought better of it because my legs were tired and the lower trails was all skied off.

So is what your saying is the rain didn't completely ruin the snow :).... I was worried because when I left on Saturday it began to pour and continued for the next few hours.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Pretty rough conditions at Wildcat yesterday. Frozen loose granular on top of hard pack. It did soften some as the day warmed, but the effects of last Wednesday were quite apparent.

It's basically reached the point of monitoring base depths to see if we ski through April. Lynx and Catapult base should hold up just fine for awhile. The narrow stretch of Polecat passing Tomcat Schuss and down to the elbow will need reinforcement or mid>lower Pole Cat will close real early this year. Bobcat terrain that's seen snowmaking has pretty good base to make it through March.

All in all still a fun and scenic day in the Notch with good company.

hammer

Pretty rough conditions at Wildcat yesterday. Frozen loose granular on top of hard pack. It did soften some as the day warmed, but the effects of last Wednesday were quite apparent.

It's basically reached the point of monitoring base depths to see if we ski through April. Lynx and Catapult base should hold up just fine for awhile. The narrow stretch of Polecat passing Tomcat Schuss and down to the elbow will need reinforcement or mid>lower Pole Cat will close real early this year. Bobcat terrain that's seen snowmaking has pretty good base to make it through March.

All in all still a fun and scenic day in the Notch with good company.

Thanks for the update, have a trip planned in 2 weeks. Not sure if it will be any better at Attitash but at least we have that option on the passes. Might be a shorter ski day.

Brad J

Thanks for the update, have a trip planned in 2 weeks. Not sure if it will be any better at Attitash but at least we have that option on the passes. Might be a shorter ski day.

Skied Attitash on Saturday and they blew snow on fan gun trails and were grooming trails during the morning and opened them at noon. they showed an great effort to put the best product they could given the situation they were dealt.

yeggous

I forgot to start this sub-thread...

I am mug #46. My wife is mug #45. One of buddies from my ski club got #69. That rat bastard. I also know #101, who bought the mug at the auction at the pass holder party. And #103, who whined until they gave him one.

What did everyone else get?

Edd

In a fit of stupidity, I'm heading there today. 6" and they're not talking wind holds yet. I won't get there until 10:45, sadly.

Edd

Ok, no rain yet. They're claiming 8" and it seems legit! It's as dense as can be. It was all broken up by the time we arrived. Skiers right of the mountain has a crustier surface. In general the snow mounds aren't moving. You've gotta bounce off them. 3 long runs and I'm taking a break. So glad we came.

ImageUploadedByAlpineZone1456940030.039419.jpg

ImageUploadedByAlpineZone1456940049.082526.jpg

ImageUploadedByAlpineZone1456940064.467140.jpg

ImageUploadedByAlpineZone1456940093.620852.jpg

dlague

Ok, no rain yet. They're claiming 8" and it seems legit! It's as dense as can be. It was all broken up by the time we arrived. Skiers right of the mountain has a crustier surface. In general the snow mounds aren't moving. You've gotta bounce off them. 3 long runs and I'm taking a break. So glad we came.

View attachment 19376

View attachment 19377

View attachment 19378

View attachment 19379

Good to know! Cannon got some of the goods too so maybe this weekend will be alright!

deadheadskier

Staff member
By 2016 standards today was an A- for Wildcat. Snowmaking trails had a perfect packed powder surface. Natural trails were a bit interesting. Gondiline was still mainly Coral Reef, Middle Catapult was well skied but still crunchy. Upper Wildcat skied the best, but there are tons of open ice flows and exposed rock. I enjoy the obstacle dodging, others may not. Didn't venture into woods as base is still low and there was quite the crust below 3000 feet caused by a bit of rain.

Couple pictures of Gondiline, Upper Wildcat (above ice flows) and George.

Attachments

• 1457048716125.jpg
    1457048716125.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 70
  • 1457048728580.jpg
    1457048728580.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 70
  • 1457048743933.jpg
    1457048743933.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 70

Cannonball

That crust was also present at Cannon's lower elevations today. I poached a line that got me into that stuff...very very bad move. If something is closed right now trust that it's for a reason.

deadheadskier

Staff member
It would be ni e to have an Upper Mountain lift. My understanding is that because there used to be one, they could put one in again without much of a fight from the USFS. Doubt it ever happens.

Even on days like today where it would be a benefit, I'm not sure I'd want one. The Quad is too much capacity for upper mountain trails as is. The other factors is the vast majority of trees are below 3k feet anyways.

Would be awesome for early season starts!