• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Wildcat 2015-16 Thread

deadheadskier

Staff member
My overall capital requests are pretty minimal. New snowmaking equipment for Tomcat Schuss, Gondiline and Upper Wildcat. Double the bar size and amount of tap handles.

I suppose if I wanted to get really greedy, a couple on map upper mountain glades would be sweet too. ;)

Edd

My upgrade request consists solely of serving Poutine at the bar. Its absence ruins my day.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Fire up the Twitter and lay into them. Say you're French and had heard about the great poutine last year

Cannonball

It would be ni e to have an Upper Mountain lift. My understanding is that because there used to be one, they could put one in again without much of a fight from the USFS. Doubt it ever happens.

Even on days like today where it would be a benefit, I'm not sure I'd want one. The Quad is too much capacity for upper mountain trails as is. The other factors is the vast majority of trees are below 3k feet anyways.

Would be awesome for early season starts!

Yeah that would be a great way to start and end. I'd really love to see a good lower mtn lift for windy days, a good upper mountain lift for elevation-effect powder, and the existing quad for awesome T2B. Pipe dreams I realize...

deadheadskier

Staff member
What's wrong with Tomcat and Bobcat for lower mountain lifts? Too slow?

Tomcat is basically only a wind hold back up chair now, but Bobcat was running today.

deadheadskier

Staff member
I did not know that. I just assumed it always ran when the Quad is down. For whatever reason, I've lucked out and only been there a couple of times with the quad on hold and both those times Tomcat ran. My Wildcat career is pretty short though. Only skied there since 2007 and probably have 40ish days total.

That's where having Attitash on the pass is a real benefit. If it's cold, windy and nasty at Wildcat, it's usually bearable at Attitash. And if it's looking nasty as hell for both, I'll just stay south and hit Crotched.

yeggous

The only reason they would not run the Tomcat with the quad closed is if the Tomcat also has a wind hold. I've seen the Tomcat run for 3 reasons:
1) summit wind hold
2) summit snowmaking disaster leading to the top trails closed or not beginner friendly
3) additional capacity on peak days when the quad gets a line

The Tomcat is great on busy days for additional capacity. It never ever gets a line, and it is taller and faster than the Attitash lift

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone mobile app

Brad J

It would be ni e to have an Upper Mountain lift. My understanding is that because there used to be one, they could put one in again without much of a fight from the USFS. Doubt it ever happens.

Even on days like today where it would be a benefit, I'm not sure I'd want one. The Quad is too much capacity for upper mountain trails as is. The other factors is the vast majority of trees are below 3k feet anyways.

Would be awesome for early season starts!
Did the sell the upper chair that was on the current quad line , wish they put it on gondiline when they installed the quad. I am patiently waiting for T2B gondiline, they could direct traffic over to panther if the are concerned about additional traffic on Alleycat. Brian please!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

deadheadskier

Staff member
I assume the old owners did. And yes, ttb Gondiline snowmaking should be a high priority on the improvement list. Would add a signature ttb expert run.

jack97

I was there this season when NE got that cold spell, the area had wild chill warnings from Saturday nite to Sunday morning. Drove up to ski Sunday just blasting music b/c I didn't want to hear how cold it was. Wildcat had the triple going b/c the quad was on wind hold. The trees along this lift made the ride tolerable. Once lunch rolled in, the wind hold was lifted and they swapped in the crew from the triple to the quad ... done within one run. One of the lifties between the two lifts told me to the summit was off hold.

fcksummer

Website
fck-summer.tumblr.com
Great afternoon this past Friday at Wildcat. The morning was completely frozen but things softened up nicely. Was nice meeting and doing a few runs with Edd.

oEog6PJ.jpg

I7x6JsP.jpg

hammer

Pictures from Saturday 12 March. Variable conditions, lots of closed trails but still plenty left to ski on.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_20160312_095003273.jpg
    IMG_20160312_095003273.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 329
  • IMG_20160312_124142146.jpg
    IMG_20160312_124142146.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 328
  • IMG_20160312_124241756.jpg
    IMG_20160312_124241756.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 332
  • IMG_20160312_131947508_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20160312_131947508_HDR.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 330

deadheadskier

Staff member
Nice shots hammer. Today isn't quite so scenic, but at least they got an inch or two of snow to whiten things up a bit.

Attachments

• 1458052496513.jpg
    1458052496513.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 163

xwhaler

How does Wildcat do their late season ops? Just Lynx and the HSQ?
Will be up with family in the MWV Patriots Day wknd and if Wildcat is open and has the Snowcat learning lift still spinning may take my son there.

Originally I thought no that if open it would just be Lynx but then read that a lot of the British invasion are low level skiers so thought maybe Snowcat.
No sure how deep they blow there and/or if they will blow more this wknd if they wanted to make that part of the plan.

yeggous

How does Wildcat do their late season ops? Just Lynx and the HSQ?
Will be up with family in the MWV Patriots Day wknd and if Wildcat is open and has the Snowcat learning lift still spinning may take my son there.

Originally I thought no that if open it would just be Lynx but then read that a lot of the British invasion are low level skiers so thought maybe Snowcat.
No sure how deep they blow there and/or if they will blow more this wknd if they wanted to make that part of the plan.

They'll probably run Lynx, Snowcat, and Bobcat chairs. They'll keep open whatever terrain survives. This weekend they are blowing on Polecat and Snowcat for the Brits.

xwhaler

They'll probably run Lynx, Snowcat, and Bobcat chairs. They'll keep open whatever terrain survives. This weekend they are blowing on Polecat and Snowcat for the Brits.

Great, thanks...gives me some hope for 4/16 or 17

Edd

Drove up here today; last minute decision. If anyone is here also shoot me a message.

Edit: On the drive up Rt 16 there were 3 separate billboards for the Peak Pass. I can't remember seeing a stronger marketing push for a single pass.

Last edited: