• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Wildcat 2015-16 Thread

Edd

Pretty good here. The sun refuses to come out but it's soft anyway. Not much to complain about.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Here today. Good news is ttb base on Lynx is still really deep.

Attachments

• 1459610858823.jpg
    1459610858823.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 124

deadheadskier

Staff member
Bad news is the conditions are awful, incredibly so.

Lynx and maybe the snowcat trail will be it next week. Polecat is closed today. Catapult is toast in many areas.

Attachments

• 1459611008869.jpg
    1459611008869.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 117
  • 1459611025695.jpg
    1459611025695.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 117

Terry

My wife and I were there this morning. It was awful. Lynx was all huge death cookies and the other way down was all blue ice and bare ground.

deadheadskier

Staff member
It was depressing. I missed the last two weekends due to work and family commitments. I wasn't expecting it to be good, but I certainly didn't expect it to be that terrible. At least the beers in the bar were cold and I was able to renew my mug for next season.

ScottySkis

Sorry d that sucks I hear you decide d to stay home and not not go to Mountain Snow last weekend. Was thinking of Sunday to last 24 hours or so. K hopefully for last turns this year I guess will be after winter coming back now. Glad Peaks pass paid 99 skied like I don't know close to 10 days I think because of pass deffinly more then I was expecting. Winter coming back for 2 weeks .. Maybe Platty Wildcat will both get over a foot now for you .

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

deadheadskier

Staff member
Would be awesome. Going to take a lot of help to get the place back in shape. Weidest surface today. It was like someone spread a trillion ice cubes on the trails.

Oh well. It beat sitting on the couch.

Terry

Yeah we were there early and it just kept getting worse each run. We quit about 10.45 before we got hurt. It was that ugly!

Brad J

I was also there and Lynx started out bad ,got horrible and it did improve to bad on my last run at 3, parts of bobcat looked bad but skied not pretty good. It certainly was one of those days that will make you stronger if it does not kill you!!

yeggous

I didn't think it was that bad. I've had worse days at the kitty. I rather enjoyed the catapult side. It was warm enough that the blue ice was edgeable. I was having fun there. The Lynx side was unpleasant at top but got better below the pump house. I think it should groom out nicely.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone mobile app

Edd

I re-upped for the mug club next year when I was there the other day but it was a poor financial decision, I'm afraid. If we have a similar winter next year I've dropped $110 for a nice mug and a paltry amount of beer. I should've taken the mug and ran. Their beer selection could use improvement.

yeggous

I re-upped for the mug club next year when I was there the other day but it was a poor financial decision, I'm afraid. If we have a similar winter next year I've dropped $110 for a nice mug and a paltry amount of beer. I should've taken the mug and ran. Their beer selection could use improvement.

I am very happy with their beer selection. They have Tucks, Sick Day, and Switchback. What more do you need?

I found it an okay financial decision. You are realistically paying $30 for the mug and $25 to the mountain to rent a hook. From my perspective the weekly specials have made it worthwhile. Stacking the sales, pass holder discount, and mug club discount have allowed me to score some good deals at the retail shop on Ski the East gear.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone mobile app

Edd

Tucks is inconsistent beer, taste-wise. Some days it tastes good, some days awful. This goes for any bar it is served at. The problem is clearly at the source.

Sick Day is, IMO, close to the worst IPA on the market. I much prefer beers like Smuttynose or Baxter for IPAs. Cool name, though. I dislike Long Trail beers in general, for some reason. They seem to have strong distribution in the MWV, unfortunately.

I haven't tried Switchback in years, though. I should next time I go, but I remember it as weak-tasting. They serve the Moat Brown, which is decent. I I wish they'd dump Sick Day and serve Moat Iron Mike or their IPA.

You have a point about the discounts. One of the retail ones I used to good effect this year.

deadheadskier

Staff member
I don't dislike Sick Day. I certainly don't buy it for home. In general the selection is fairly pedestrian. Crotched actually has a better selection.

I'm guessing part of the reason the choices are what they are is most of the beers they serve have reasonable keg pricing. I'd love Stoneface over Sick Day, but it costs probably $50 more a barrel. I'm willing to pay that premium.

ScottySkis

How weather looking for this Friday at cat. Thinking of using my pass hope to meet some people from here if I go?

Edd

How weather looking for this Friday at cat. Thinking of using my pass hope to meet some people from here if I go?

Partly sunny with highs in the 30s. It will be firm, my friend. The terrain at Wildcat is extremely limited now, just be aware.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Hard and fast today. Sunny, brisk. Much, much better than last week. It still basically sucks, but I'm glad I'm here.