• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Wildcat 2015-16 Thread

JDMRoma

Nice looks just like cannon !! Not !!!

Seems like cannons snow making sucks in general to everyone else.

Nice pics ! Glad someone is getting decent conditions ! May have to ski the cat soon !

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

JDMRoma

They look pretty darn good too nice !

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

deadheadskier

Staff member
I'm not going to lie, the pace of snowmaking terrain expansion is still a bit slower than I'd like to see, but the quality of what they've made has been quite good. Happy to be a pass holder there again after taking a year away.

frapcap

Wow man, wish I went up instead of south to RI this past weekend. Looked like a great day out there.

Now, if it would only snow HARD on Thursday, I could blow off a Bahamas wedding and use that time to go ski instead.

yeggous

I have a race at Shawnee on Saturday, but am going to make an effort to get there on Sunday.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone mobile app

yeggous

Conditions today nicely crisp. I got some frostbite on my nose but that is nothing new to me.

Lynx is absolutely buried in snow right now. I've never seen the base so deep. They probably put down another 3 feet of snow across the entire trail since last weekend. It ripped up a bit chunky but grooming will solve that.

Today was also a British invasion. Sigh.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Good to hear on Lynx. Maybe we get lucky with May turns to make up for the dismal season so far.

yeggous

Good to hear on Lynx. Maybe we get lucky with May turns to make up for the dismal season so far.

If they don't make it, it won't be for a lack of effort. The difference since last week is dramatic. The drop at Lynx Lair is more like a gentle incline now. The S-turns are loaded. People were complaining about Lynx today, but that just because it was a bit chunky. First world problems.

They pushed around some snow to fill in thin spots on Polecat. Catapult is in much better shape than last weekend, but you can tell there a few scary blue ice spots lurking underneath. Cheetah and Alley Cat were amazing again. Lower Catapult was the pick of the day.

deadheadskier

Staff member
I should be up that way on Monday. I may head to Attitash for the first time this year. Depends on the temps

Crotched today was good.

Brad J

I should be up that way on Monday. I may head to Attitash for the first time this year. Depends on the temps

Crotched today was good.
I skied Attitash with friends today and it was very good ( 2016 scale) little more variety than wildcat, really tired of Lynx and the catipult side was scary 3 Saturday's ago and haven't been back. Waiting for Mother Nature . Please!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Skikarl

On Tuesday (mid rain storm) I skied wildcat and it was pretty good despite the rain. I found a short unmarked glade off what used to be called "cat cutaway"... I have also heard of Thompson brook and Elevator shaft but I'm not sure how to get into them. Does anybody know of any other glades + how to access the ones I mentioned above?

Thanks.

yeggous

On Tuesday (mid rain storm) I skied wildcat and it was pretty good despite the rain. I found a short unmarked glade off what used to be called "cat cutaway"... I have also heard of Thompson brook and Elevator shaft but I'm not sure how to get into them. Does anybody know of any other glades + how to access the ones I mentioned above?

Thanks.

These are not the glades you're looking for.

Seriously, be careful where you go this year. Many of the "glades" at the 'Cat are brooks. I mean that literally. In a year like this one they will be running water, especially in a rain storm.

If you're serious about finding them, it'll cost you a beer. The bar is a good place to solicit such information. We don't distribute it lightly on the internet.

Skikarl

These are not the glades you're looking for.

Seriously, be careful where you go this year. Many of the "glades" at the 'Cat are brooks. I mean that literally. In a year like this one they will be running water, especially in a rain storm.

If you're serious about finding them, it'll cost you a beer. The bar is a good place to solicit such information. We don't distribute it lightly on the internet.

Thanks , I am very aware that these are running water brooks and I was not planning on actually doing these areas this year unless we have a big improvement in snow quantity.

I was also curious as to how patrol feels about these areas. I know they can't officially approve skiing off map, but if they found people skiing in these areas are they ok with it or will they pull your pass?

Thanks.

deadheadskier

Staff member
I won't vouch for what patrol will or won't do. I'm guessing that's conditions dependent. If they need to suffer through unsafe conditions to pluck you out, they may not be too appreciative.

That said, patrol at Wildcat skis and enjoys all the terrain there both on and off map just like a normal skier would.

MadMadWorld

Thanks.

It's not hard to find Thompson Brook seeing as parts of it doubles as a hiking trail in the summer. I would not suggest going into either one on anything but snowshoes at the moment.

yeggous

I won't vouch for what patrol will or won't do. I'm guessing that's conditions dependent. If they need to suffer through unsafe conditions to pluck you out, they may not be too appreciative.

That said, patrol at Wildcat skis and enjoys all the terrain there both on and off map just like a normal skier would.

Ski patrol's reaction will be based on if they recognize you. They know the regulars and will happily chat about the "reserve trails."

If you really want to know where all the hidden glades are, there is a map in the Ski school building.

Edd

ImageUploadedByAlpineZone1455986120.061511.jpg

Edit: Shouldn't we move this to the main skiing forum?

Last edited:

Skikarl

Ski patrol's reaction will be based on if they recognize you. They know the regulars and will happily chat about the "reserve trails."

If you really want to know where all the hidden glades are, there is a map in the Ski school building.

By 'ski school building' do you mean the bobcat lodge? or the race team building?

yeggous

Neither. I mean the ski school building. It is a separate building adjacent to the Bobcat Lodge.