• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Wireless routers and lifespan

Edd

I seem to average about 2 years until a router fails on me in some manner. The most recent one has lasted about 8 months. It no longer transmits the network and even a hard wired device (Roku) has no internet access. I'm pretty thorough when it comes to troubleshooting tech issues so I try everything under the sun before giving up.

My usage is fairly typical. A good deal of Internet TV, with about 8 connected devices.

I typically go mid-range when buying one. They've all been Linksys, so I guess I'm going to try another brand.

I'm just wondering if anyone else here has similar issues. I'd pay good money if I was confident in the reliability of a new router, but it seems like such a crapshoot.

Puck it

It seems routers have a designed in lifespan to me for some reason. I have gone thru four of them. I have no reason. They just stop allowing certain devices to connect.

Edd

I just spent some time online chatting with a Linksys tech and it seems that the firmware has been corrupted. They asked me to connect my computer to it directly but we have a newer Windows laptop that lacks an Ethernet port.

They have agreed to send a replacement unit. I had not registered it but they were able to determine it was still under warranty by S/N. They are sending the replacement first and I'll send the failed one in the same box. They took CC info from me in the event that I'm scamming them.

I'll update the thread on the outcome. I've never gone this route because I haven't had one fail during the warranty period.

dlague

Comcast came out with a wireless cable modem which is what we use now. Nice not having to worry about routers any longer.

JDMRoma

Comcast came out with a wireless cable modem which is what we use now. Nice not having to worry about routers any longer.

+1
Same here ! Nice all in one and no worries !

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

deadheadskier

Staff member
The problem with Comcast is they update the software without permission from the user. Our first unit was fine for a year and then slowed to dial up speed after an update. Numerous phone calls and a visit from a tech didn't help. They finally gave us their new two channel model and it works pretty good

yeggous

I used to burn through routers every year or two. Then I shelled out cash for an Apple router and it has lasted six years so far. I also have the Verizon router / modem combo and it has been rock solid.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone mobile app

gmcunni

i am in the market for a new router.. old one is fine but i want a feature this one doesn't have. i want to be able to send syslog from the router to a collector so i can get all geeky with the data. but i don't want to spend $200

Edd

All set. The new router arrived this morning and it's good to go. Can't complain about the customer service.

Glenn

I've had good luck with Linksys. I think I'm on 4+ years on one.....3 on the other.

I'm not a fan of the all one ones; if something goes wrong, you need a new one. With them separate, you can replace one or the other. Do the cable companies charge you a monthly fees for those all in ones? The first thing I did when I switch to cable internet from DSL was to buy my own modem. $80....paid for itself in short order.

Edd

All set. The new router arrived this morning and it's good to go. Can't complain about the customer service.

Still using that same router. It’ll be 4 years in December so I’m doing better than average.

cdskier

I just bought a new router today as my current one (a 10+ year old Dlink one) is starting to act up and sporadically will stop working for a bit here and there (as an example a few days ago wifi stopped working but wired was still working. Eventually the issue fixed itself and wifi started working again but there have been several times recently where I had to reboot it). Probably time for an upgrade anyway.

andrec10

Hyde Park, NY...Hunter on Weekends in the Winter..
I just bought a new router today as my current one (a 10+ year old Dlink one) is starting to act up and sporadically will stop working for a bit here and there (as an example a few days ago wifi stopped working but wired was still working. Eventually the issue fixed itself and wifi started working again but there have been several times recently where I had to reboot it). Probably time for an upgrade anyway.

NetGear Orbi if you have a bigger house!