• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Loon 12/20/15

JonD

Date(s) Skied: 12/20

Resort or Ski Area: Loon

Conditions: Man-made

Trip Report Short Version: Surprisingly not bad

Trip Report Long Version: I had the day free, and really wanted to ski, but the horror of the month's weather was making me indecisive. Even when the alarm went off at 5am, I considered just staying in bed until the Patriots game kicked off at 1p. I was able to drag myself up to Loon and boarded the Gondola around 8:15a. They had received a dusting of snow overnight; I-93 was kinda dicey starting around Plymouth. The real snow overnight was all man made. I gotta hand it to Loon, they really put out a good "product" on Sunday. The guns were blowing all day, - Walking Boss, Picked Rock, Seven Brothers, and a couple others in the center of the mountain. I talked to a lot of pass holders who were there on Saturday, they all said it was night and day. I guess Saturday was really horrible. On Sunday, there were only a couple of routes open, but it was real top to bottom skiing on good snow without any bare spots. The only downside was constantly scraping frozen snow off my goggles. The gondola line got long between 10-11. I stayed on North Peak then and didn't wait more than a couple minutes all day. Unfortunately, it's all going to get washed away this week.

Blowing snow on Seven Brothers
attachment.php

The ugly truth on Flume
attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_8659.jpg
    IMG_8659.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 157
  • IMG_8660.jpg
    IMG_8660.jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 154

dlague

Date(s) Skied: The only downside was constantly scraping frozen snow off my goggles.

We skied Saturday at Cannon and we had the same issue which resulted in us calling off for Sunday. I was itching to go but Sunday but really did not want to deal with visibility due to goggles being coated.

xwhaler

We skied Saturday at Cannon and we had the same issue which resulted in us calling off for Sunday. I was itching to go but Sunday but really did not want to deal with visibility due to goggles being coated.

We stayed mostly on the Upper mtn at Cannon yesterday lapping Upper Cannon where guns were not going.
Trail got to be a bit of a luge track though.

Visibility next to zero at times down lower though snow was much nicer skiing under the guns.

dlague

We stayed mostly on the Upper mtn at Cannon yesterday lapping Upper Cannon where guns were not going.
Trail got to be a bit of a luge track though.

Visibility next to zero at times down lower though snow was much nicer skiing under the guns.

Our original plan was Sunday River for Sunday but we were just not feeling it.