• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

SUV for carrying skis

deadheadskier

Staff member
Still, I have the feeling that when you folks are driving thru, none of you give a rats about any other driver, if they are not driving at your "style", you are insistent they get off the road and let you motor on thru. Oh yes, because we are the majority....

How are you any different? You expect others to stick behind you and drive your "style."

Contrary to what you say, there really aren't a lot of passing lanes or zones on 26. Where there are dashed yellows, oncoming traffic is often present as 26 is a well traveled road. And your suggestion to pass you where there are double yellows doesn't hold water. Doing so is far more dangerous than driving 5-10mph over the speed limit and the ticket/insurance penalties reflect this. People may want to drive a little over the limit, but they don't want to be unnecessarily reckless on the roads.

However, there are plenty of places on 26 with wide shoulders or break down lanes that you can slide over to, still maintain your desired speed and let others through at their desired speed.

I'm not going to waste any more time with this. I'll just leave you with this concept. Speed limits are set to be broken within reason. Where it's 55 mph on 26 it's okay to go 60-62. That's why the majority of people are looking to go that speed. The traffic safety administration knows this and intentionally sets it low. If they set the limit at 60, the majority will try and go 65-67 and onward and upward. Ever drive I95 North of Bangor? Limit is 75. Most people drive 80-85 up there. If they raised the limit to 80, 85-90 would be the norm. You'll likely never get a ticket driving the norm (being what most folks do) if you do one simple thing. Tap the breaks when you see a cop and briefly slow down. Give the illusion you weren't meaning to drive that fast and they will let it slide. ;)

Anyways, it's been fun. Despite the efforts of the many to convince you to heed to majority opinion, you've got your preferences. So, be it. I'm out of this debate.

Stay safe out there!

hammer

OK, so I get this straight...

I'm going on a single-lane highway at/near the speed limit but I'm obligated to pull over if someone comes up behind me and wants to pass? Really?

If I'm not familiar with the roads or the de facto speed limit (which cannot be assumed to be 5-10 over the posted limit since there may be speed traps), I will go close to the posted speed limit. I will do my best to stick to that if traffic is behind me but I never feel obligated to pull over to let faster traffic pass me. If they want to pass on the left they are welcome to do so, and I won't speed up while they are doing it.

VTKilarney

OK, so I get this straight...

I'm going on a single-lane highway at/near the speed limit but I'm obligated to pull over if someone comes up behind me and wants to pass? Really?
You've really missed the point people are trying to make. All people are saying is that, if there is a stack of cars behind you, it's courteous to pull toward the side of the road for a few seconds and let people by. Not a single person suggested that you should pull over every time a car comes up behind you. And nobody stated that there was an obligation to pull over. So pretty much everything you said was incorrect. But nice try.

I agree that this debate has become tiresome. UHK makes Highway Star look reasonable. You can only ask for courtesy for so long.

Last edited:

hammer

You've really missed the point people are trying to make. All people are saying is that, if there is a stack of cars behind you, it's courteous to pull toward the side of the road for a few seconds and let people by. Not a single person suggested that you should pull over every time a car comes up behind you.

I agree that this debate has become tiresome. UHK makes Highway Star look reasonable. You can only ask for courtesy for so long.
Fair enough. Guess I usually drive fast enough so that I don't have a stack of cars behind me. Unfortunately most people who I see in that situation (where I'm part of the stack) are oblivious to what is happening behind them.

deadheadskier

Staff member
All people are saying is that, if there is a stack of cars behind you, it's courteous to pull toward the side of the road for a few seconds and let people by. Not a single person suggested that you should pull over every time a car comes up behind you. And nobody stated that there was an obligation to pull over.

That's the nutshell of the debate. Well said

Tin

if-youre-not-first-youre-last.jpg

VTKilarney

At any point have I said I won't do that?????

Yes, in post #182 you said:
But I won't vacate the road because you left too late.

And from post #185:
And you are correct, I don't a rat's about who is behind me, they are free to pass me.

And from post #165:
Again, if you can not get to where you are going on time because you got on the road too late, don't expect me to vacate the road for you. I have every right to drive on the road, same as you do.!

And let's not forget post #153:
I'm not going to stop driving just because of some lawbreaker.

Also post #157:
I will not stop driving on account of lawbreakers.

And post #159:
But I will not vacate the road on account of you not getting on the road in time.

Next question, please.

Last edited:

hammer

Can we get back on track here?

You should try to find one of these.

https://youtu.be/-cwDtWYS-6Q

Should make an excellent ski car, and not at all what you are looking for.

You're welcome.

My wife's first car was an 88 Honda Civic sedan. Great little car...solid and quiet for a car of its size and cost. Only issue was starting, with the carburetor it could be cranky when cold.

roark

My wife's first car was an 88 Honda Civic sedan. Great little car...solid and quiet for a car of its size and cost. Only issue was starting, with the carburetor it could be cranky when cold.
and a terrible defroster. (also a former civic owner - my mom is still driving that thing with nearly a half million miles on it!)

yeggous

My sister suggested the Ford Edge and Nissan Murano. I'm planning to check those out. But I'm starting to get emotionally attached to a Silverado.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone mobile app

Scruffy

My sister suggested the Ford Edge and Nissan Murano. I'm planning to check those out. But I'm starting to get emotionally attached to a Silverado.

If you're anything like me, you're done then :lol: Once I get to the "I got to have it" phase, nothing else will do.

xwhaler

Nice truck. Pickups are great ski vehicles and provide all around awesome utility. I love my Toyota Tundra for ski trips and the Tacoma I had before that.