SUV for carrying skis - Page 15

AlpineZone

Page 15 of 31 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast
    I'd say that the rest of the world is why manual transmissions still exist.

Quote Originally Posted by BenedictGomez View Post
    I've only seen it in 2 vehicles, an Acadia and a Crosstrek. Hated it in the Crosstrek, because you had to look down at your radio. Thought it was cool in the Acadia, becuase it was in the rearview mirror, so it's sortof like a second option.
    I love my backup camera. Since we have a small dog and child - it's great to be able to double check where I can't see. Our minivan has no camera and is blind from 4 feet and down - never surprised when I hear a minivan running over a kid bc you literally cannot see them - even with mirrors and head turning. Also my small SUV is dwarfed by trucks and suburbans in parking lots - so the fisheye quality of the camera makes it possible to see if something is coming down the aisle. and of course parking in tight places.

Mine me is seen from the tv in console - perfect place I was taught you should never use mirror to back up, so I don't. Still blackout the old fashioned way but nice to check a couple blind spots before backing up.

Once you go back-up camera it's really hard to go back. You feel naked without it.

longtime manual driver, grew up on curvy 2 lane highways on the CA coast. now primarily a bicycle commuter in Seattle but still have two cars: saab 9-3 (road trip, around town); and a brand new loaded subie outback (ski car, carry stuff and people). Both auto.

I was really reticent to give up the stick (traded in a mistui outlander awd manual), but for the driving I do now - and probably 99% of americans also do - the stick just doesn't make sense. If I still lived in coastal CA I'd probably have a manual miata (or nicer/sportier). For rural NE driving... nah. Not interesting enough roads to justify the mileage penalty and high density population (relatively speaking) means you're usually behind someone anyway.

The subie CVT is seamless and far more efficient than a stick. In the rare instance I need it I have the paddle shifters. The adaptive cruise control is phenomenal and I appreciate the potential warnings (both collision, and 'hey dipshit, the car in front is finally moving' beep). Lane departure in an urban environment is totally annoying but I could see the value on a long freeway drive. I did get the 6 cyl, which is super responsive and plenty of passing power and no noticeable drop in hill climbing ability with a couple extra adults. Mileage penalty is felt around town but not that bad if freeway driving.

To get back to the OP, no problem fitting 187s in the outback at a slight tilt with the 1/3 back seat down, allowing plenty of comfort for a 3rd person (and reasonable space for 2 getting cozy in the back). The seat releases very nicely from the trunk btw. And they appreciate the heated seats all around too

ah man roark, you make me sad. lost another one

one step away from a minivan

simple fact: driving isn't fun anymore. and that's not necessarily a bad thing (less deaths, esp. per mile traveled).

Quote Originally Posted by uphillklimber View Post
    I'd have to say it is the driver, not the vehicle. My 2105 has quite the get up and go. I am able to pass whenever, where ever, up hill or down. When I first had it, it was almost scary. A marked improvement over the 2014. (They made me an awesome trade deal on the 30th of the month). But if you get behind me on the way to the river, you'll see me scrupulously following the speed limit.

Do I now have to turn in my AZ Ski card????
    Arghghgghgh - why do you do that?!?! For me and the rest of the Congo line behind you on RT 26 - since you obviously have loads of time to putz - could you please just pull over and let us all pass? You'll cool lots of tempers and boiling blood

Quote Originally Posted by deadheadskier View Post
    ah man roark, you make me sad. lost another one

one step away from a minivan
    you have a mazda 3?

2015 outback 3.6 0-60 7.3
    2007 mazda 3 touring (faster variant) 7.2

nothing minivan about the outback except the fact that I can carry both stuff and people in comfort.

Quote Originally Posted by roark View Post
    you have a mazda 3?

nothing minivan about the outback except the fact that I can carry both stuff and people in comfort.
    I don't view 0-60 as a good measurement of what makes a car fun to drive. Having decent pick up is only part of the equation. I like the go kart handling of the 3.

I prefer the Outbacks of five years ago before they became a SUV. The minivan thing was joke as in that's the direction you're heading.

Quote Originally Posted by roark View Post
    you have a mazda 3?

2011 Toyota Sienna SECompare Car0-60 mph 7.0
    Looks like your both slower than a minivan.....
    104(12/13)
    (13/14)
    48(14/15)
    35(15/16)
    50(16/17)
    Rossi Soul 7 w/ Marker F12 (188 ) FOR SALE!
    Stockli Stormrider w/ Look PX 12 (177)

Thread Information