• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

SUV for carrying skis

yeggous

It's time to buy a new car. I'm planning to keep my 2011 Hyundai Santa Fe and replace my wife's car.

Challenge: most cross-overs have a cargo cabin that is way too short to carry my skis without pulling up the front seat. I need suggestions!

We started back at the Hyundai and Subaru dealerships. The Santa Fe Sport is still just long enough. The Forester is decidedly too short. The Outback *might* be long enough, but it is uncomfortably close. What else do people use? I'd like to keep the sticker price under $30k, preferably closer to $25k.

I'd like to get another Santa Fe, but the wife does not like the idea at all.

I checked out the Mazda CX-5 and GMC Terrain, but both were too short.

rocks860

Why not just get a rack?
I have a Thule rack on my Impreza wagon and it works great.

drjeff

The Terrain, with one of the rear seats down can easily get skis up to 170 without a problem - I had one as a rental last summer when I picked my daughter (and her 170cm GS Skis) up from summer ski camp

steamboat1

I want to haul about 7 pairs of skis at any given time. That would be a big rack.

Thule box. You'll get the 7 pairs of skis in, even boots & poles, then have enough room for 3 6ft' heroes (you guys might call them hogies, subs or grinders, have no idea). Been there done that.

gmcunni

+1 on thule box. used on craigslist are pretty reasonable.

inside subi -
10629785_10203639210073813_7643546213482607789_n.jpg

roofbox on subi
10701944_10203640748592275_7988248137892012244_n.jpg

rocks860

Yeah I was gonna say you can just throw a Thule box up there and fit everything. If you put 7 pairs of skis inside is there even room for anyone to be inside the car?

yeggous

How does the Thule rack impact fuel economy? Is it going to be a total pain to take on and off?

steamboat1

How does the Thule rack impact fuel economy? Is it going to be a total pain to take on and off?

I lost 2-3mpg highway. Left mine on all winter. Even go through the car wash with it. Haven't used it in several years now that my family doesn't ski. Sitting in my attic collecting dust.

edit. I have the longest, widest Evolution box.

Last edited:

rocks860

I end up just leaving the rack on all the time since I have a bike rack on there too and it's a pain to take individual pieces off and put them on. I just have a ski rack, not the box.

gmcunni

some impact to MPG, don't recall. some noise, not horrible.

two people, on and off in 5 mins. 1 person, less than 10 but i worry about dropping and scratching the paint on roof.

tnt1234

Outback will work i would think. But with a seat down, you could only fit 4 in the car, so not sure why you would need 7 set of skis.

I almost got a box, but did a rack instead. Can fit 5 sets up there. Super easy to put on, super dependable anchor system. Love my outback.

SkiFanE

I'm so happy both our cars handle our skis without Thule or racks. Kinda a pain day after day, 4-5 pairs. Getting them out of back of car is so much easier.

We have a Mazda CX-5. One reason I chose it was the rear seat folded down 20% in the middle - so can go 60/40 or 20 out of middle. So with 4 people can still fit skiis. Not sure how long tho - but could go through the console up front I bet. Besides that we've loved this car - the only new car that never needed to return for a warrantied fix. Our Sienna AWD minivan is actually the best ski family vehicle ever. Handles awesome in snow and fits so much - just have to swallow your pride lmao.

**Gulp - just saw the CX-5 was too short. Did you try down the middle? My trip to mountain is 10 minutes - depends on how long your drive is if you want them so close to you up front.

yeggous

Okay, I'll indulge the roof idea. Rack vs box... I don't see a rack as wise for two reasons:
1) less capacity
2) road salt
Discuss.

My wife wants a forester. I told her it reminds me of a fish tank with all that glass. I felt the Outback was more refined.

Why would I need 7 sets of skis? Actually I'd rather carry 9 sets. I have goals. I have a quiver and would like to encourage my wife to do the same. There have been many days I show up at the mountain expecting a powder day and find a wind scoured glacier. Welcome to skiing Wildcat. Be prepared. Likewise it is wise to be ready for the surprise powder day at Jay or Bretton Woods. It happens.

yeggous

I'm so happy both our cars handle our skis without Thule or racks. Kinda a pain day after day, 4-5 pairs. Getting them out of back of car is so much easier.

We have a Mazda CX-5. One reason I chose it was the rear seat folded down 20% in the middle - so can go 60/40 or 20 out of middle. So with 4 people can still fit skiis. Not sure how long tho - but could go through the console up front I bet. Besides that we've loved this car - the only new car that never needed to return for a warrantied fix. Our Sienna AWD minivan is actually the best ski family vehicle ever. Handles awesome in snow and fits so much - just have to swallow your pride lmao.

I measured the CX-5 and notice the three-part folder. The Santa Fe Sport has the same setup.

It is bad enough I am consider a station wagon in the Outback, but a minivan is a bridge too far.

I should mention that I give strong value to good navigation systems and automated driving features. Since I recently sold out and started working on these systems in the automotive industry, I feel a need to drink the kool-aid.

gmcunni

Okay, I'll indulge the roof idea. Rack vs box... I don't see a rack as wise for two reasons:
1) less capacity
2) road salt
Discuss.

i agree.

sadly i'm stuck using a rack in my jeep as i don't trust the gutter mount for a box full of stuff. but when we take the subi we box it.

tnt1234

I think the outback is much more comfortable than the forester.

Box is probably the way to go. Much more versatile. I opted for rack because I don't really have anyplace to store a box, and wouldn't leave it on past spring skiing.

tnt1234

I measured the CX-5 and notice the three-part folder. The Santa Fe Sport has the same setup.

It is bad enough I am consider a station wagon in the Outback, but a minivan is a bridge too far.

I should mention that I give strong value to good navigation systems and automated driving features. Since I recently sold out and started working on these systems in the automotive industry, I feel a need to drink the kool-aid.

Outback has a solid navi system, and you can get some kind of automated stop system - I forget what they call it. I almost went for it, but then they told me the cameras involved are sensitive to suds etc... so the dealer kind of discouraged it. Said if you run it through a car wash, you have to be careful the cameras don't get fouled. Or something like that....