• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

SUV for carrying skis

Bene288

That Mazda 3 is like a go cart while the Subaru steers more like a toaster. Plenty of interesting roads if you get out into western mass/eastern NYS. I would take a stick shift on them any day. Especially if it was snowy conditions.

VTKilarney

Well, it's pretty simple. I drive the maximum allowed by law, totally a law abiding citizen, to the limit. Someone else wants to break the law, I'm not going to stop driving just because of some lawbreaker. I allow a realistic amount of time to get where I am going and drive safe and legal. Get yourself on the road on time.

Until you are paying my insurance bills and speeding tickets, deal with it.
With all due respect, I don't subscribe to this mentality. Even the police allow a few miles over the limit. And regardless of the speed limit, if you've got a large stack of cars behind you, it's a nice gesture to pull over when it's easy and convenient to do so.

VTKilarney

As I said, even the police don't issue tickets until you are a few miles over the limit. So your interpretation of the law, from a real-world perspective, is yours alone - and not that of those who actually enforce it.

In any event, I never thought that it was up to me to teach strangers a lesson. I'm happy to pull over and let people go about their way. I think of it as paying it forward. Just a different perspective, I guess.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Well, it's pretty simple. I drive the maximum allowed by law, totally a law abiding citizen, to the limit. Someone else wants to break the law, I'm not going to stop driving just because of some lawbreaker. I allow a realistic amount of time to get where I am going and drive safe and legal. Get yourself on the road on time.

There are plenty of places and opportunities to pass me daily, every single drive, and people will stay right behind me. Some will pass, good for them. The ones who don't, what can I say. I have had people pass me against the solid yellow line, no problems. They and I can both see it is clear, go for it. Why people wait for the dashed line, I don't get it. To pass me you have to break the law anyways, if it's safe, go for it. (BTW, I do not speed up on someone passing me, I keep driving the legal limit.)

As an aside, you should see how many people I'll pass on the way to the river. So many are doing 45, 40, even 35. I do plenty of passing myself. Those people lined up are the ones afraid to pass someone going less than the speed limit.

Until you are paying my insurance bills and speeding tickets, deal with it.

I hate to stereotype, but it's a Maine thing. Y'all drive us bananas with your slow driving. To be fair, Northern NH and all of VT drivers aren't much better. State Highways where the speed limit is 40-55; 8mph over the limit won't get you a ticket. Except for in known speed trap areas where whiney locals think because they bought property adjacent to a state highway that all the speed limits should be 35, so they bitch to town police for strict enforcement OR Johnny Law is looking to justify his pay check through extorting money from tourists. Sorry you picked the wrong place to live. Plenty stretches of 26 where 70 mph is safe tbh.

And don't get us started on the left lane lounging you do on 95 going 70 in that lane thinking that's acceptable because you're going 5mph over the limit. So, many Maine drivers do this I swear it's taught in drivers ed. It's the passing lane, not a travel lane; pull the eff over. ;)

Love your hospitality up there, but get a move on. Us visitors will get to our destinations faster, happier and spending money more freely. I make good time to the River and maybe I grab a quick breakfast sandwich in Bethel because I've got plenty of time to make first chair. I get aggravated by pokey drivers and I skip it See? Your too lawful driving hurts the local economy!!!!!

/rant

:lol:

Last edited:

ironhippy

With all due respect, I'm a law abiding citizen up to the limit of the law. I will not stop driving on account of lawbreakers.

it's funny just above you encouraged breaking the law by passing you on solid yellow lines.

If you are impeding the flow of traffic, you are safety hazard regardless of the speed limit.
You will not be pulled over for going 10 over the limit when the entire flow of traffic is going that fast.

This is probably not the situation you are in, but it illustrates my point (start at 35 seconds)

ironhippy

I'm happy to pull over and let people go about their way. I think of it as paying it forward. Just a different perspective, I guess.

I speed a fair amount, but when I am not in a hurry and people behind me are, I do this too. Sure it's not the law, but some common courtesy goes a long way.

VTKilarney

it's funny just above you encouraged breaking the law by passing you on solid yellow lines.
I noticed that too. That's arguably much more dangerous than driving a few miles an hour over the posted limit. Again, this is all based on the fiction that the posted limit is the maximum speed at which you can operate safely. I'm not inclined to be self righteous when my whole premise is based on a fiction.

deadheadskier

Staff member
I noticed that too. That's arguably much more dangerous than driving a few miles an hour over the posted limit. Again, this is all based on the fiction that the posted limit is the maximum speed at which you can operate safely. I'm not inclined to be self righteous when my whole premise is based on a fiction.

Not only much more dangerous, but a bigger fine and more points on your license than speeding.

UHK - did it ever occur to you that speed limits are set low purposefully to allow a little flexibility.

Live a little buddy! Or be courteous if you're causing a traffic jam.

;)

VTKilarney

Again, if you can not get to where you are going on time because you got on the road too late, don't expect me to vacate the road for you. I have every right to drive on the road, same as you do.
Nobody here has said that you don't have the right to drive the speed limit. But having a "right" doesn't mean that you should ignore general courtesy by taking twenty seconds to pull over where it's convenient to do so. That's all people are trying to say.

Hey guys, having a lot of fun with this, but the River is calling!
You better leave plenty of time to get there!

SkiFanE

UHK - you've proven my point about CR-V drivers! I drive Rt 26 probably 40 times/year. I know every passing zone and all speed limits. somehow as a lawbreaker going above the speed limit I've gone through all sorts of speed traps without a ticket. So my insurance has not been affected. If I'm obviously not considered a lawbreaker by those paid to uphold the law - you are an ass for using that as your reason for being a slowpoke. Because you're being an ass does not mean I will cross a double yellow line (which I am assured will get me a ticket) to pass you. I'm a lifelong Boston driver - I am great at tailing til the next passing zone :)

just because I can fart in the line at the bank does not mean I do - because I'm corteous to those around me. Just because you're in a big steel box doesn't mean you shouldn't care about those around you.

VTKilarney

Maine needs a law like Washington state's:
http://app.leg.wa.gov/rcw/default.aspx?cite=46.61.427

On a two-lane highway where passing is unsafe because of traffic in the opposite direction or other conditions, a slow moving vehicle, behind which five or more vehicles are formed in a line, shall turn off the roadway wherever sufficient area for a safe turn-out exists, in order to permit the vehicles following to proceed. As used in this section a slow moving vehicle is one which is proceeding at a rate of speed less than the normal flow of traffic at the particular time and place.

ironhippy

proceeding at a rate of speed less than the normal flow of traffic at the particular time and place.

Which follows my point that the speed limit is not as important as the flow of traffic, otherwise this would mention the posted speed limit.