• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Sugarbush on top

canobie#1

From their website

3PM We continue to drop ropes in the aftermath of over 20" of snow in the last week. Tomorrow we expect to have 68 trails open, 19 groomed, spanning 310 acres across 30.6 miles. Tomorrow also marks the opening of our new Valley House Quad! We'll have the lift running with Snowball, Spring Fling, and The Mall to start the day. Note that Valley House Traverse is not yet open so all Gadd Peak terrain is accessed via the lift.

http://www.sugarbush.com/mountain/snow-report/#tab-trail

Certainly not being shy about opening new natural terrain now that the crowds are gone.

jimmywilson69

Sugarbush is pretty liberal on what they will open. Win even admitted this fact within the last day or 2 over on MRV forum.

cdskier

Up to 72 trails, 322 acres, and 32.7 miles now...they dropped the ropes on more of the Valley House trails after checking them this morning it looks like.

dlague

Up to 72 trails, 322 acres, and 32.7 miles now...they dropped the ropes on more of the Valley House trails after checking them this morning it looks like.

Looking even better for the Ride and Ski tour stop on Saturday! If you do not have The Ride and Ski Card and anyone wants a 2 for 1 for Sugarbush on Saturday let me know. I have three.

cdskier

Since a lot of these trail openings are with natural snow cover only, it will be interesting to see how long they hold up. This weekend will no doubt be a major difference from the last time I was there though before Christmas when they only had 12 trails open.

gostan

Since a lot of these trail openings are with natural snow cover only, it will be interesting to see how long they hold up. This weekend will no doubt be a major difference from the last time I was there though before Christmas when they only had 12 trails open.
Spillsville & Lower Paradise were already sketchy by last Sunday. I suspect that same will likely be true in a few days for Mall, Moonshine & Twist without more natural snow. But, at least they are open today!

WWF-VT

Don't confuse "open" with a trail that you might actually want to ski. Sugarbush has a liberal policy on opening trails and assumes that if you see an "Experts Only" and "Thin Cover" sign then you know that what you are getting yourself into. Last Saturday. Exterminator opened in the AM and by noon it was practically down to dodging rocks on fast grass time. The upper part of Exterminator was closed on Sunday AM as it needed a refresh of snow. I prefer natural snow trails and don't mind thin cover but it's not for everyone.

cdskier

Don't confuse "open" with a trail that you might actually want to ski. Sugarbush has a liberal policy on opening trails and assumes that if you see an "Experts Only" and "Thin Cover" sign then you know that what you are getting yourself into. Last Saturday. Exterminator opened in the AM and by noon it was practically down to dodging rocks on fast grass time. The upper part of Exterminator was closed on Sunday AM as it needed a refresh of snow. I prefer natural snow trails and don't mind thin cover but it's not for everyone.

Yea, I'm pretty familiar with their liberal trail opening policy and agree skiing on those trails at this point in the season isn't for everyone. I don't mind thin cover to a point.

thetrailboss

Staff member

Exactly

cdskier

And Castlerock opens for hiking access tomorrow...bringing their counts to 89 trails, 42 miles, and 382 acres...

thetrailboss

Staff member
And Castlerock opens for hiking access tomorrow...bringing their counts to 89 trails, 42 miles, and 382 acres...

I always thought that calling that open terrain was a bit of a stretch......I know it is patrolled, etc., but it is not really "lift" served.

cdskier

Well Sugarbush just announced they plan on being 100% open tomorrow (including lift-served access to Castlerock). I think that will make them the first major ski area in the northeast to hit 100% this season.

steamboat1

Yep there's no snow on Castlerock. Pic from yesterday before todays snow.

attachment.php

LOL!!

Middle Earth

Attachments

• 8H2A4411_zpskg3tfims.jpg
    8H2A4411_zpskg3tfims.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 391

canobie#1

Middle Earth is also a favorite of mine.

Going up next weekend, can't wait to check out the new lift.