• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Fat Bikes

skiMEbike

A few shots from today. It rode so well. Only complaint was this heavy pull to the left. I had to counter steer a lot. Brought it back to the shop so they can reassess.

Nice Bike. Curious where were you riding...Pics give the appearance that the trails are relatively dry?

BackLoafRiver

Nice Bike. Curious where were you riding...Pics give the appearance that the trails are relatively dry?

Bath, ME. The trail was almost bone dry save a few sections.

Actually...there is a decent downhill that comes out of the lot which was a total ice luge. It was scary as hell just walking the bike. After that, it was dry save one line along an open field. I was totally shocked. Other areas are not fairing quite as well and the warm up this week will not help.

ironhippy

I bought one a few weeks ago to ensure I could trail ride year round. We have a good community of bikers that get the popular trails packed down after storms.

We had a foot of wet snow last week, then a warm up and now a deep freeze which has left a significant crust on all the snow.

This has now made EVERYWHERE a freeride fatbike park. There is a clear cut behind my house that I was able to bike everywhere on, this week we are going to try out some of the local golf courses.

This is pretty amazing. Sorry for the cell phone pics.

20161204_163034_resized.jpg
20161204_164828_resized.jpg
20161204_164902_resized.jpg

mlctvt

Nic pics Ironhippy.
No snow is CT yet, well about 1/2 inch this morning that is already melted. Are you running studded tires? I'm
m trying to decide if its worth the expense. I can get studded Vee Snowshoe XLs for about $250.00 pair. 45Nrth Dillingers are much more $$.

ironhippy

I have a 26 inch set of studded tires I run on another bike, so I will not be running studs on my fat bike.

(in general) if you need studded tires, you don't need a fat bike because it's so icy the extra flotation is not needed. Studded fat bike tires would definitely give you more traction, but in the weather we had last winter, I was fine with skinny studded tires on the iced over trails.

However if you only want to run one bike during the winter, a fat bike with studded tires will do it all.

BackLoafRiver

Nice pics indeed!!!

Riding here has been a bust for the past two weeks unless you had some studs and a whole lot of courage. The random 3" we just got won't do a ton to help it. As with most things winter, we are in need of some snow.

The upside is that I hear Mass is rolling pretty well right now. Seems to be dry and no residual ice. Might be worth a trip

ironhippy

Those aren't actually the good trails around here, they are just snowshoe trails that are near my house.
The actual mountain biking trails are in better shape, but are pretty icy after rain we had last week so studs are mostly mandatory.

And we had a race at the local ski hill last weekend. I was out of town so I didn't attend.

https://www.facebook.com/plugins/vi...deos/10154603146399760/&show_text=0&width=560

ironhippy

The snow has changed again, we have a rain crust that you can walk on everywhere.

The fat biking is amazing, here is a picture from Tuesday when I rode all over one of the local golf courses20170131_132919_resized.jpg