• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Fat Bikes

Cannonball

The more this season progresses the more I'm looking for a fat bike to take the sting out of bad ski conditions. Anybody been getting out? Any top recommendations for a bike in $1.5K range?

mlctvt

I've been riding my new fat bike 2-3 days per week since November. I'd rather ride than ski a WROD during the holidays. I'm very happy with my BikesDirect Night Train Bullet with Bluto fork. It was on sale for $1599 a couple of months ago but I think it's $1799 shipped now. You can get it without the Bluto for $1399. I got the Bluto because this will be my only mountain bike but if you will only be riding in snow I'd go without it. I've replaced the saddle, seat post and handlebars and converted to tubeless. It's still heavy at 33lbs.
Good discussion on the BikesDirect Night Train at MTBR.
You just missed the incredible Surly fat bike sale but Specialized is currently discounting their fat bikes. Altrec also has great prices on the Framed fat bikes link

mlctvt

Great bike at an incredible price, you'll love it!
If I hadn't already bought the Night Train that's the exact bike I would have ordered.
Have fun.

If you don't already have them buy a low pressure tire gauge and a fork pump. It's amazing how just a couple of pounds of tire pressure makes a big difference in how the bike rides & handles.

BackLoafRiver

That price is silly.

I've been scouring Craigslist lately looking to pick one up on the cheap. It'd be fun to have to tool around on and the general consensus is that it still rules, even in the summer. A back-up bike is great and to have one that plays well in the snow makes a lot of sense.

Post up some thoughts when you take her out.

BackLoafRiver

Bump.

How do you like it? In the Bike Log Thread, I noticed the rigid fork. Did you opt out of the Bluto?

I still haven't pulled the trigger but it is getting awfully close.

Cannonball

Bump.

How do you like it? In the Bike Log Thread, I noticed the rigid fork. Did you opt out of the Bluto?

I still haven't pulled the trigger but it is getting awfully close.

Loving it! I have the Bluto but haven't installed it yet. I want to ride it rigid for a while to get a feel for how I want to set it up once I do install it. (plus I haven't had time).

It's such a fun ride. What a blast coming downhill through a few inches of snow! Even blasting through snowbanks is fun.

BackLoafRiver

So, the question is, how much fatbike do I need?

Bean's has 2 Scott models I am seriously considering; the Big John and the Big Ed.

The Ed comes tubeless ready, has an X9 rear and X7 front, Shimano hydraulic disc, and a host of other stuff. (Bluto with a remote lockout)

It's a bit expensive but, with 15% off and a bunch of gift cards, I can get it down a bunch.

The John has LX rear, Deore front, hydraulic disc, rigid fork, non tubeless. It's also $500 cheaper. (but a Bluto alone is almost $600)

mlctvt

So, the question is, how much fatbike do I need?

Bean's has 2 Scott models I am seriously considering; the Big John and the Big Ed.

The Ed comes tubeless ready, has an X9 rear and X7 front, Shimano hydraulic disc, and a host of other stuff. (Bluto with a remote lockout)

It's a bit expensive but, with 15% off and a bunch of gift cards, I can get it down a bunch.

The John has LX rear, Deore front, hydraulic disc, rigid fork, non tubeless. It's also $500 cheaper. (but a Bluto alone is almost $600)

If it's only $500 I'd get the Bluto version. You really don't need the Bluto for riding only in snow but for frozen rutted trails which are common here in New England, it really smooths things out. It will be much less tiring with Bluto.
Also if there is an chance you will use this in summer definitely get then Bluto.

BackLoafRiver

Trigger pulled today but not on the original bike I was considering.

There was a fat bike demo at Beans last weekend. Reps from Scott and Rocky Mountain were there. They also had some Reid, Minnesota, and...some other brand.

They had a little course set up but, due to the warm weather, the snow was getting beaten up fairly fast.

Demoed several bikes but ended up really liking the Rocky Mountain blizzard.

I also got a chance to try a pimped out altitude and Thunderbolt. The altitude was super rad. Set up as an enduro rig that the rep rocked at thunderbolt all summer. It was buttery smooth.

Anyway...back on topic. The blizzard should be in this week. Now...we just need the ground to freeze up.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

mlctvt

Rode on Saturday with a friend who has a Rocky Mountain Blizzard. He's had it since Oct last fall, So far it's been a great bike no issues at all. Nice wide rims and good tires too at a great price point. It does very well in all conditions. I think he does better in the snow than my Motobecane Night train Bullet with Vee Snowshoe tires.
Enjoy it, you'll love it I'm sure.

Cannonball

Bike trails just as bad as the ski trails these days. Just a 5 mile long sheet of ice. But really a blast anyway! Even without studs the new ride handled it fine. I was totally shocked by the traction on the climbs. Downhill was fast and treacherous.

Attachments

• 1456705453257.jpg
    1456705453257.jpg
    26.1 KB · Views: 97

BackLoafRiver

A few shots from today. It rode so well. Only complaint was this heavy pull to the left. I had to counter steer a lot. Brought it back to the shop so they can reassess.

ImageUploadedByAlpineZone1457317876.704655.jpgImageUploadedByAlpineZone1457317892.972312.jpgImageUploadedByAlpineZone1457317903.874173.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone