• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

How much to mount binding?

cdskier

I think I paid $50ish to have mine mounted at a local shop in NJ a few years ago. Interesting to see that ski resort shops seem cheap though. Just looked at Sugarbush's site for example and they charge $35 for a mount. 2 other off-mountain shops in town by the mountain charge $45-50.

SkiFanE

Exactly. Plus the shop is now taking on all liability of any errors, either on a bad mount or injury.If someone brings me a internet purchase for mounting, it is $59.95, free if purchased in store.
Kind of short-sighted. We buy from a mix of local shop near ski area and online (often from the stores online site). Store doesn't have 100% inventory of every ski item or size. They offer discounts to pass holders and I prefer to use them. But sometimes price or availability make decision. Last winter I spent about $1500 with them (online and store), this year about $300 so far. But when we go they know us and don't treat us like jerks for buying online. Then we'd take our business elsewhere - they get about 75% of my families gear $ - dickering over $25 would be silly for them.

dlague

Ski fanatics in Campton nh $25

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

And I buy online always. However, I bought skis online and bindings at their shop and it was free. Could not find the bindings for $25 less.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

Whitey

Free - Do it myself. It's really pretty easy. The trick is to ensure that you don't drill too deep. A drill stop will do it, but usually I just put a piece of tape on the drill bit & go easy when I am drilling to keep from going too far. Put a little dab of silicone adhesive/sealant where the screws go into the ski and that keeps any moisture out. The other trick is take the screws out of the binding and screw them into the ski before you try to mount the binding (and then back them out & put them back into the binding - of course). You get a cleaner first run thru the holes and the bindings mount easier when you go to put them on. I've mounted and adjusted dozens of bindings - never once had a problem.

It's always surprised me that with all of the gear heads on this forum there seem to be relatively few who do their own ski binding mounting and adjusting.

wtcobb

Lahouts in Lincoln is $30 I believe. I bought my skis/binders online and boots in store. They mounted for free since I bought the boots there.

KevinF

It's always surprised me that with all of the gear heads on this forum there seem to be relatively few who do their own ski binding mounting and adjusting.

I imagine that the willingness most people have for a "do it yourself" project is directly related to the cost of fixing the damage if you mess up.

Waxing and sharpening skis? You can mess up, but at worst (unless you're a total klutz) is to take them to the shop and have them fix up your edges for you.

Taking a power drill to your skis? You mess up and you could be looking at buying new skis.

I had some skis mounted up "while I waited" last year up in Stowe. I watched him do it. Clamp the jig, get out the power drill, drill, drill, drill, drill, etc. Get out the power screwdriver to mount it up. Done. Watching somebody take a power drill to your skis after about 30 seconds of prep time was a little nerve-racking, although I imagine he's mounted bindings a couple thousand times by now... I imagine you get pretty fast after all that practice. Bindings haven't ripped out of the skis yet, so it looks like he did it correctly. :grin:

Scruffy

How do you make that assumption? A lack of divulgence does not equal a lack of knowledge or practice ;-)

I've been mounting my own for years, both tele and alpine, but it's not something I advocate to others, and I won't even do it for my friends, even though they've asked me to. Taking personal responsibility for yourself includes knowing when to pay someone to do something and when to DIY. You're right, it's not hard to do, and If someone feels confident in their abilities then...well, it's up to them.

Scruffy

Kind of short-sighted. We buy from a mix of local shop near ski area and online (often from the stores online site). Store doesn't have 100% inventory of every ski item or size. They offer discounts to pass holders and I prefer to use them. But sometimes price or availability make decision. Last winter I spent about $1500 with them (online and store), this year about $300 so far. But when we go they know us and don't treat us like jerks for buying online. Then we'd take our business elsewhere - they get about 75% of my families gear $ - dickering over $25 would be silly for them.

The Key is, the shop knows you, and they know you've spent money with them in the past, and will most likely continue to.

A lot of people don't seem to have a clue of how to value something, they want everything for nothing or next to it. If I brought my own oil filter and oil, that I purchased on sale somewhere, to a mechanic that normally charges $30 labor for an oil change when he sells me the oil and filter, and makes a small profit on that to offset the low labor cost, I should not be surprised if he charges more or refuses altogether. A lot of high end restaurants will allow you to bring in your own wine, but charge you a corking fee.

If you have never shopped at a particular ski shop before and walk in with your own on-line purchase, I don't blame the shop at all for up-charging you for the mount.

VTKilarney

If you have never shopped at a particular ski shop before and walk in with your own on-line purchase, I don't blame the shop at all for up-charging you.
I would blame them. They should charge what the market bears. Let's say that the going rate is $50. But since I bought my equipment somewhere else they want to charge me $75 to teach me some sort of lesson. Guess what I'm going to do? I'm going to go to another shop and they will lose my business.

You combat internet sales by having excellent customer service. Discriminating by overcharging is not good customer service.

I'm all for loyalty incentives (e.g. free mounting if you purchase your skis and bindings in-house), but that's not what we are talking about here.

Not Sure

Website
www.youtube.com
http://www.slidewright.com/

Good source for tools ect, Tapping out holes is not a bad idea. Till you buy taps ,inserts and bits you could come close to $40.00
Even center punching holes the bit can wander. Years ago skis were thicker so you had more room for depth error . Tape on a bit would make me nervous. I use a stopped drill press drill the hole then chuck the tap and run it down by hand . If I didn't have the right tools I would let someone experienced do it.

Whitey

How do you make that assumption? A lack of divulgence does not equal a lack of knowledge or practice ;-)

In previous threads over the last several years about ski binding adjusting and related. I was surprised at the percentage (not 100%, but higher than I would have thought given this group) that don't/won't touch their own bindings or their family's/friends. Then read thru the 3 pages of this thread - literally no one suggested "just do it yourself".

That's how I make that assumption. I know there are others on this site who "DIY", just isn't as high as I would have thought with this group.

I mount and adjust bindings for family, friends, etc. Been doing it for years. I always just note that my work comes with a money back guarantee (i.e. you are getting it for free). Never had one tear out or have problems. And I've mounted and adjusted for some teens/20s that really bash their skis. I am also biased towards DIY because I've always hated the "set the binding by the prescribed DIN setting for your height/weight/ability" method. I'm old school - do it by feel; kick the toe out, fall forward and release method.

Scruffy

I would blame them. They should charge what the market bears. Let's say that the going rate is $50. But since I bought my equipment somewhere else they want to charge me $75 to teach me some sort of lesson. Guess what I'm going to do? I'm going to go to another shop and they will lose my business.

You combat internet sales by having excellent customer service. Discriminating by overcharging is not good customer service.

I'm all for loyalty incentives (e.g. free mounting if you purchase your skis and bindings in-house), but that's not what we are talking about here.

But it is exactly what we are talking about. The post above by Hawkshot(sp?) says if you purchase skis I'll give you a deal ( not free, but a deal ) on mounting, if you don't this is what the market price for a binding mount is in my shop. Nothing about discriminating or teaching anyone a lesson.

"Guess what I'm going to do? I'm going to go to another shop and they will lose my business." You're most likely going to take your business back to the internet, so they've already lost you, so why should they give you a break on mounting skis?

abc

I imagine that the willingness most people have for a "do it yourself" project is directly related to the cost of fixing the damage if you mess up.
Exactly!

I'm far more willing to REPAIR something that's already broken (can't get any worst!) than to drill holes into brand spanking new items, even if the holes are entirely necessary and functional. I suppose if I've done it a few times on older skis, I might feel more comfortable doing it on a pair of new skis.

That, add the fact I don't have a proper standing drill press.

prsboogie

I've mounted my own binding this season and honestly with a tapered drill bit you would have to press so hard downward on the bit to damage them. Just squeeze and stop at the resistance.

VTKilarney

But it is exactly what we are talking about. The post above by Hawkshot(sp?) says if you purchase skis I'll give you a deal ( not free, but a deal ) on mounting, if you don't this is what the market price for a binding mount is in my shop. Nothing about discriminating or teaching anyone a lesson.

"Guess what I'm going to do? I'm going to go to another shop and they will lose my business." You're most likely going to take your business back to the internet, so they've already lost you, so why should they give you a break on mounting skis?
My bad. I went back an re-read the post. I thought that there was an up-charge based solely on an internet purchase, but I was mistaken.

As to your second point, I disagree to the extent that my comment was directed at an internet only up-charge. I have often paid more at a brick and mortar store that delivers excellent customer service. But if they don't offer anything of value, I will shop where the price is the cheapest. Thank goodness several brick and mortar stores understand this concept.

Last edited: