• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Potential Storm: 1/16

dlague

Looks like upper NH could get over a half a foot.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

skiberg

The bi-polar nature of these threads is exactly what's makes it fun. Quite frankly, I think the whole weather forum is much less fun since the institution of all the "rules". Who cares how far out we speculate? What's the big deal? I love the Lottery mentality that goes with these storms. Its like we are all playing Powerball. Eventually we hit the big one. By limiting our time frames and setting up all the rules, there seems to be much less interest and chatter on this forum than there use to be. Models show things 10 days out and I want to know the possibility and it seems its difficult to find a place that anyone will discuss it. The general weather forum is not specific enough. Then I really don't know where to look as it gets closer to the event. I find myself coming back to this forum and then having to go elsewhere all the time.

VTKilarney

The bi-polar nature of these threads is exactly what's makes it fun. Quite frankly, I think the whole weather forum is much less fun since the institution of all the "rules". Who cares how far out we speculate? What's the big deal? I love the Lottery mentality that goes with these storms.
Very well said.

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
The bi-polar nature of these threads is exactly what's makes it fun. Quite frankly, I think the whole weather forum is much less fun since the institution of all the "rules". Who cares how far out we speculate? What's the big deal? I love the Lottery mentality that goes with these storms. Its like we are all playing Powerball. Eventually we hit the big one. By limiting our time frames and setting up all the rules, there seems to be much less interest and chatter on this forum than there use to be. Models show things 10 days out and I want to know the possibility and it seems its difficult to find a place that anyone will discuss it. The general weather forum is not specific enough. Then I really don't know where to look as it gets closer to the event. I find myself coming back to this forum and then having to go elsewhere all the time.

Ditto. It was a lot of fun. Things got too stuffy over here, IMO. Anyone who said anything about a storm more than 4 days in advance was shunned. But I do like the long-term Winter Forecast 2015-2016 thread, as well as the thread for each storm.

deadheadskier

Staff member
What rules? And if there are any, who is enforcing them? I guess I haven't been paying attention if people are acting too uptight. I don't visit weather threads often on AZ because you all are usually wrong. ;)

Speculation is cool and fun. I get it. I was just joking that there's a lot of wannabe Jim Cantores in here.

Carry on!!!

skiberg

The Weather Forum Guidelines. I guess its not that big of a deal then since your the guy who would enforce them if it was an issue.

deadheadskier

Staff member
We typically have very little desire to moderate anything. Most of the time it's a squeaky wheel gets the grease situation.

Now that you mention it, I do remember a guidelines discussion. I just think over time people loosen up and forget about the "rules"

Tin

If everything 7+ days out was put in a thread this year it would look like the Magic thread. Nearly every model run seems to have an awesome storm in the 8-10 day range and then nothing happens. Been absolutely awful to watch models so far this year.

One tease after the other.

Even short range is brutal. For example, the shortwave for Monday has been discussed for quite a few days. Here it is on Wednesday. All out crazy blizzard...
gfs_mslp_pcpn_frzn_us_19.png

Next run, it's gone.
gfs_mslp_pcpn_frzn_us_18.png

dlague

Well in NH the local weather news has been waffling. Now they are calling for freezing rain to rain in southern NH, Snow to a mix then freezing rain North of Manchester to the north of the Lakes Region and finally 4-6 inches of snow points north of there.

Saturday 1-16.jpg

Last edited:

Tin

Well in NH the local weather news has been waffling. Now they are calling for freezing rain to rain in southern NH, Snow to a mix then freezing rain North of Manchester to the north of the Lakes Region and finally 4-6 inches of snow points north of there.

If you want to see how hard it is to forecast this year, check out the Grey NWS snowfall maps. They have been updated 2-3 times a day since Wednesday with this storm. Here is what they are trying to make sense out of.

Min...
MinSnowWeb.png

Max...
MaxSnowWeb.png

skiberg

I am ok with the psychotic nature of the Models. I find it kind of fun, especially this year, as it helps me keep hope. There is hardly any snow in the east. I keep looking. I will go to it, but its just not there. Even the Saguenay is thin.

Tin

I am ok with the psychotic nature of the Models. I find it kind of fun, especially this year, as it helps me keep hope. There is hardly any snow in the east. I keep looking. I will go to it, but its just not there. Even the Saguenay is thin.

Then here you go...oh NAM. WaWa powder day!

0AB545B0-D695-44D7-9E45-D85811759E4E_zps8wee86kg.png

skiberg

Now the next few hours of my day will be filled with nervous anticipation, only to ultimately be downtrodden after the next model run. This is why I need to be medicated during the winter.

ALLSKIING

Staff member
If everything 7+ days out was put in a thread this year it would look like the Magic thread. Nearly every model run seems to have an awesome storm in the 8-10 day range and then nothing happens. Been absolutely awful to watch models so far this year.

One tease after the other.

Even short range is brutal. For example, the shortwave for Monday has been discussed for quite a few days. Here it is on Wednesday. All out crazy blizzard...
gfs_mslp_pcpn_frzn_us_19.png

Next run, it's gone.
gfs_mslp_pcpn_frzn_us_18.png

That's because it's the GFS...its flawed.