The 01/22 - 01/23 Storm thread (Could a snowstorm actully hit the Poconos?) - Page 25

AlpineZone

Page 25 of 25 FirstFirst ... 15232425
    Was curious also , didn't make it to Blue but went to one of my Pocono BC spots , 5 miles north of the Blue mountain . The snow amount tailed off very quickly , only a foot but decided to do it anyway .
    Someone else beat me . One track almost straight down ? Or was it a skin track up ? When I got to the top I found a boot tracks . They had hike up the other side . How the hell does one ski straight down without turning on a 16 deg slope ? Brakes deployed ?
    Was fun but hit lots of rocks . image.jpg

"Make Greenland Green again"

Quote Originally Posted by UVSHTSTRM View Post
    Sounds like too many people don't know how to drive. Got a Suburu Outback and I could go through mounds of snow with that.

Hell yeah i toatally agree I live in the snow belt and ave driven SAABS , Subies and Toyo's thru 2 ft plus crap up here many o times over the yrs . If you KNOW how to drive in this stuff you dont need a damn Dodge Power Wagon
    Surround yourself with Positivity , Live Life , Collect Friends not Stuff and Avoid Negative Nuts

Quote Originally Posted by Cornhead View Post
    No word, maybe he did encounter the Donner party
    No cannibalism to report. Passed some stranded and plowed in cars and 18-wheelers that may have though.

On the road at 7:30 for the Poconos, and to say there was very little traffic is an understatement, LOL. With the exception of plow trucks, I saw few vehicles. Passed some of those "Ghost trailers" as the news called them on 78, CRAZY. Almost all the plates at the mountain were PA when I arrived, locals and near-locals. Place didn't get busy until after lunch. As expected, NJ roads were in much better shape than PA roads, but the trip wasn't bad. It only "cost" me maybe 15 extra minutes to get there, if that.

It will be another 20 years before a Pocono resort skis as well as it did today. The 24" of snow was a light powdery sort due to the cold temps yesterday, moguls on plenty of trails, lots of snow, the groomers really were "packed powder" rather than ice. It was a beautiful day and a great time. Best day I've ever had at any Pocono ski area, and I doubt it will be eclipsed.
    President - Bicknell's Thrush Extermination Solutions (BTES), LLC

Best day I've ever had at any Pocono ski area, and I doubt it will be eclipsed.
    With the weather pattern of the last few years, you never know. It may happen again before the season's over!

I drove back to Westchester from VT today and was really amazed at how sharp the northern cutoff was for this storm. I didn't see any traces of snow until the putnum/dutchess border yet had 15 inches at home less than 40 miles south.
    Last edited by jrmagic; Jan 26, 2016 at 8:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Warp Daddy View Post
    Hell yeah i toatally agree I live in the snow belt and ave driven SAABS , Subies and Toyo's thru 2 ft plus crap up here many o times over the yrs . If you KNOW how to drive in this stuff you dont need a damn Dodge Power Wagon
    +1
    Youtube certainly has some great footage of the stuff to our south. When it starts with freezing rain...wild things are bound to happen, especially on those mountain pass highways..with those southern drivers who drive 99% on cruise.
    Last edited by bigbog; Jan 26, 2016 at 8:45 AM.
    SteveD

Quote Originally Posted by jrmagic View Post
    I drove back to Westchester from VT today and was really amazed at how sharp the northern cutoff was for this storm. I didn't see any traces of snow until the putnum/dutchess border yet had 15 inches at home less than 40 miles south.
    When I was driving down thruway in the blizzard it went from nothing to white out within half a mile. Never seen that before.

Just seeing this thread now.

I skied Blue that sunday with my oldest daughter - was awesome. Best PA day I can remember. So happy they didn't groom everything overnight.

Natural moguls, soft snow, just awesome. Big crowds, but evidently not as big as the following day, as all the schools were closed and everyone was dug out.

Only thing that would have made it better.....in a typical season, with a little something in the woods, the bike trails and other tree shots would have been awesome. We ventured into the woods a couple of times, but there just wasn't any base.

Anyway, highlight of this dismal season for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by tnt1234 View Post
    Just seeing this thread now.

I skied Blue that sunday with my oldest daughter - was awesome.
    Best PA day I can remember. So happy they didn't groom everything overnight.

Anyway, highlight of this dismal season for sure.
    Yes, and when the best skiing of the season can be found in the Poconos, you know it's been an all-time worst ski season.
    President - Bicknell's Thrush Extermination Solutions (BTES), LLC

Quote Originally Posted by BenedictGomez View Post
    Yes, and when the best skiing of the season can be found in the Poconos, you know it's been an all-time worst ski season.
    "Make Greenland Green again"

Thread Information