The 01/22 - 01/23 Storm thread (Could a snowstorm actully hit the Poconos?) - Page 5

AlpineZone

Page 5 of 25 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by fcksummer View Post
    Those are so low angle it'll be tough to get anywhere if they get as much as predicted.
    Oh I know. Maybe over on the east side its steep enough. I'm just thinking of where's the best place in PA to get to if we did get this storm. Maybe Elk, if the Catskills get nothing?

Dude.

Quote Originally Posted by Rowsdower View Post
    Oh I know. Maybe over on the east side its steep enough. I'm just thinking of where's the best place in PA to get to if we did get this storm. Maybe Elk, if the Catskills get nothing?
    Those slow lifts always drove me crazy when I lived down there. Decent terrain for PA but I always ended up frustrated with how little time I spent on the hill. I'd do Blue or Camelback with the edge to Camelback for terrain better suited for fresh snow.

I'd do Blue or Camelback with the edge to Camelback for terrain better suited for fresh snow.
    I think Blue and Camelback are the better of the Pocono options for sure, funny thing though, on the (very) rare times when I so ski the Poconos, I tend to ski Shawnee simply due to crowd avoidance.
    President - Bicknell's Thrush Extermination Solutions (BTES), LLC

Those slow lifts always drove me crazy when I lived down there. Decent terrain for PA but I always ended up frustrated with how little time I spent on the hill. I'd do Blue or Camelback with the edge to Camelback for terrain better suited for fresh snow.
    Depends though. Blue and Camelback will almost always be more crowded than Jack Frost. I've never tried the trees at Camelback, even when they had the snow. Always worried about getting yelled at.
    Dude.

I like jack frost, despite being a little smaller, the trees are a nice bonus after skiing short groomed runs. They also have some steeper, but short stuff all the way in the skiers right of the mountain. And there are some fun sections of trees hear and there.

Jack Frost is basically my home mountain when I can't get to new england

Quote Originally Posted by Rowsdower View Post
    Depends though. Blue and Camelback will almost always be more crowded than Jack Frost. I've never tried the trees at Camelback, even when they had the snow. Always worried about getting yelled at.
    What about Montage? , never skied there but the trails are pretty wide so if you get there early and maybe a shot at some untracked? Don't know if they have any glades.
    "Make Greenland Green again"

The problem with the little mid-Atlantic ski areas is they groom fresh snow the second it falls. There are only a few places like Plattekill (not exactly mid-Atlantic), Blue Knob PA, Timberline WV that have extensive glades and leave them alone on the rare occasions they get deep natural.

The first bits should make landfall tonight, so fingers crossed for a northern bump.
    President - Bicknell's Thrush Extermination Solutions (BTES), LLC

Quote Originally Posted by jimk View Post
    The problem with the little mid-Atlantic ski areas is they groom fresh snow the second it falls. There are only a few places like Plattekill (not exactly mid-Atlantic), Blue Knob PA, Timberline WV that have extensive glades and leave them alone on the rare occasions they get deep natural.
    It's why I'd go with Frost. They can't groom gladed terrain and Jack Frost does thin the trees between and along some of their runs. I don't think any other PA resorts do this. Maybe Blue Knob? I've never been out there though.

That being said, if this shifts south who am I meeting at the Wissahickon Ski Club?
    Dude.

Skiing at Wissahickon sounds like a blast, bike there all the time

Thread Information