• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The 01/22 - 01/23 Storm thread (Could a snowstorm actully hit the Poconos?)

moresnow

I've been updating them in the OP after each run.

But here's the 12z GFS snowmap ensemble closeup of the area since you're local.

gfs_6hr_snow_acc_nyc_17.png

Campgaw wins this weekend!

Great.:banghead:

BenedictGomez

Look at how TIGHT the gradients are to the Poconos on all 3 updated 12z models.

Could it happen yet again? Could the Poconos get completely screwed?

I mean, even if they end up with 5" or 6", it's almost a consolation prize when areas right near you are getting 15" or 16".

Rowsdower

Look at how TIGHT the gradients are to the Poconos on all 3 updated 12z models.

Could it happen yet again? Could the Poconos get completely screwed?

I mean, even if they end up with 5" or 6", it's almost a consolation prize when areas right near you are getting 15" or 16".

Bear Creek, honorary Pocono mountain for the weekend?

hammer

Realize that this is entirely selfish, but if central and northern NE don't get the goods then I hope it shifts more to the south. This system is screwing with plans to get my daughter back to school in RI over this weekend. :-x

abc

Realize that this is entirely selfish, but if central and northern NE don't get the goods then I hope it shifts more to the south. This system is screwing with plans to get my daughter back to school in RI over this weekend. :-x
The storm will be done by Sunday morning. So why wish the worst for those in the mid-Atlantic anyway? They need it just as much as you guys do.

Not Sure

Website
www.youtube.com
With that much snow, bear creek would be nearly un-skiable with the runout.....

Was there March last season after a good 13" dump the woods were fun but there was a base . It was straight down for a few hours till it got skied in .Was scoping out the woods on Monday , some jagged ugly rocks to hit , Stumps and a 6" waterline that would be lurking .

Have some BC runs in the Poconos that will be in play with 12"

Tin

Good optimism. You were there for the powder day last Feb, right? Hoping to relive that some time this season.

Oh yes. Was an amazing day. Not sure even 12" will open liftline or really help the tree situation.

Hume would slap me but looking at history these big ones trend north within 72 hours or so. Not to mention the baroclinic zone that has messed with models previously making things shift. Watch things go wild in the next 24 hours in terms of forecast changes.

Last edited:

Bene288

Oh yes. Was an amazing day. Not sure even 12" will open liftline or really help the tree situation.

My thoughts too. Those are trees you really don't want to ski in thin cover. At least the ones I was in, anyway.