• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The 01/22 - 01/23 Storm thread (Could a snowstorm actully hit the Poconos?)

gmcunni

12615604_993589854031810_7307414141200376052_o.png

why is the highest snow fall totals labeled "worst of conditions", is't it really BEST ????

BenedictGomez

If this is the big one everyone who hasn't skied yet will be out. Get off the lift ski 300' and get in line again!

If this goes north, I'll simply ski Plattekill = no lift lines.

If this stays as projected, I really have very little experience skiing legitimate powder days in the Poconos, since legitimate powder days in the Poconos are rarer than a three-legged albino deer, so I dont know how bad the lines will be. One thing that should work in favor of diminished lines (at least after lunch) is the fact the AFC Championship game kicks off at 3pm.

Rowsdower

If this goes north, I'll simply ski Plattekill = no lift lines.

If this stays as projected, I really have very little experience skiing legitimate powder days in the Poconos, since legitimate powder days in the Poconos are rarer than a three-legged albino deer, so I dont know how bad the lines will be. One thing that should work in favor of diminished lines (at least after lunch) is the fact the AFC Championship game kicks off at 3pm.

If this hits try Jack Frost. Usually short lines anyway and probably has the only legitimate gladed terrain in PA.

Smellytele

As other have said can't get excited until I know where. It hitting anywhere south or west of Vermont does me now good except for maybe keeping some of those people away from the slopes which looking at it that way does excite me some.

Rowsdower

Bear Creeks not steep enough for 8" of powder let alone 2'.
Top section good for turns after that straight line to lift .
They have a few unofficial gladed sections.

Was there yesterday with the little guy , almost 100% open but nothing in the woods.

Bear Creek was my home "mountain" when I was a kid! The woods skier's left of Timberline can be quite fun on the very rare occasions there's enough snow. There's an annoying hike back up though. We used to nickname them the "back bowls" of Bear Creek.

benski

You should be. This isn't going to be a Lucy yanking the football situation. I'll be skiing somewhere on Sunday, the "where" is the unknown.

At least you know you will be skiing. I don't know how I will be getting from Binghamton to a mountain this weekend since I won't have access to my car.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

BenedictGomez

If this hits try Jack Frost. Usually short lines anyway and probably has the only legitimate gladed terrain in PA.

Furreals? Never been to Jack Frost, and didn't know there were glades anywhere in e.PA.

EDIT: Though even if they get 20", that probably wouldn't be enough to ski trees as it would be 28" natural for the season.

Last edited:

yeggous

I'm not getting excited. All signs are for no real snow where we need it. It'll be wasted in the mid-Atlantic and southern New England with a sharp cutoff.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone mobile app

Not Sure

Website
www.youtube.com
Bear Creek was my home "mountain" when I was a kid! The woods skier's left of Timberline can be quite fun on the very rare occasions there's enough snow. There's an annoying hike back up though. We used to nickname them the "back bowls" of Bear Creek.

Mine also in the 70's ,my side country used to be where E lift is now . Lots of good memories
The old owners would shake their heads if they saw the size of the jumps they have !

jimk

About two weeks ago I committed to a three day ski trip to Canaan Valley, WV this weekend. Fingers crossed that I get snowbound for about a five day trip;-)

As you know, we've had a very slow start down here. This could make up for a multitude of sins by Mother Nature.

Last edited:

JDMRoma

I'm not getting excited. All signs are for no real snow where we need it. It'll be wasted in the mid-Atlantic and southern New England with a sharp cutoff.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone mobile app

+1 !!

Not helping NH at all = Blows !!

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

WJenness

I'd rather a more northern storm track, but at this point, I am so happy to see us discussing SOMETHING (other than inferior precip. types, warmth, and high pressure) on this weather forum!

BenedictGomez

The operational Euro run that just came out made a BIG southern shift that would crush the hopes and dreams of the Poconos. Hopefully it's an outlier run and the ensemble suite that comes out in an hour is in place to the north. Still a massively impressive storm on the Euro, laying down > 40" in parts of Virginia!!!

Rowsdower

Furreals? Never been to Jack Frost, and didn't know there were glades anywhere in e.PA.

EDIT: Though even if they get 20", that probably wouldn't be enough to ski trees as it would be 28" natural for the season.

It's been a few years since I was there. Somewhere on the east side of the mountain there are maintained glades. They also thinned out the trees and removed underbrush between two of the blues. So, not the most exciting, but hey, you have to take what you can get around these parts.

Bring some rock skis and check it out.

mlctvt

Most models runs today have moved the storm south, like very south. DC and south! Of course that could change.

fcksummer

Website
fck-summer.tumblr.com
It's been a few years since I was there. Somewhere on the east side of the mountain there are maintained glades. They also thinned out the trees and removed underbrush between two of the blues. So, not the most exciting, but hey, you have to take what you can get around these parts.

Bring some rock skis and check it out.

Those are so low angle it'll be tough to get anywhere if they get as much as predicted.