• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The 01/22 - 01/23 Storm thread (Could a snowstorm actully hit the Poconos?)

fcksummer

Website
fck-summer.tumblr.com
Oh I know. Maybe over on the east side its steep enough. I'm just thinking of where's the best place in PA to get to if we did get this storm. Maybe Elk, if the Catskills get nothing?

Those slow lifts always drove me crazy when I lived down there. Decent terrain for PA but I always ended up frustrated with how little time I spent on the hill. I'd do Blue or Camelback with the edge to Camelback for terrain better suited for fresh snow.

BenedictGomez

I'd do Blue or Camelback with the edge to Camelback for terrain better suited for fresh snow.

I think Blue and Camelback are the better of the Pocono options for sure, funny thing though, on the (very) rare times when I so ski the Poconos, I tend to ski Shawnee simply due to crowd avoidance.

Rowsdower

Those slow lifts always drove me crazy when I lived down there. Decent terrain for PA but I always ended up frustrated with how little time I spent on the hill. I'd do Blue or Camelback with the edge to Camelback for terrain better suited for fresh snow.

Depends though. Blue and Camelback will almost always be more crowded than Jack Frost. I've never tried the trees at Camelback, even when they had the snow. Always worried about getting yelled at.

vermonter44

I like jack frost, despite being a little smaller, the trees are a nice bonus after skiing short groomed runs. They also have some steeper, but short stuff all the way in the skiers right of the mountain. And there are some fun sections of trees hear and there.

Jack Frost is basically my home mountain when I can't get to new england

Not Sure

Website
www.youtube.com
Depends though. Blue and Camelback will almost always be more crowded than Jack Frost. I've never tried the trees at Camelback, even when they had the snow. Always worried about getting yelled at.

What about Montage? , never skied there but the trails are pretty wide so if you get there early and maybe a shot at some untracked? Don't know if they have any glades.

jimk

The problem with the little mid-Atlantic ski areas is they groom fresh snow the second it falls. There are only a few places like Plattekill (not exactly mid-Atlantic), Blue Knob PA, Timberline WV that have extensive glades and leave them alone on the rare occasions they get deep natural.

Rowsdower

The problem with the little mid-Atlantic ski areas is they groom fresh snow the second it falls. There are only a few places like Plattekill (not exactly mid-Atlantic), Blue Knob PA, Timberline WV that have extensive glades and leave them alone on the rare occasions they get deep natural.

It's why I'd go with Frost. They can't groom gladed terrain and Jack Frost does thin the trees between and along some of their runs. I don't think any other PA resorts do this. Maybe Blue Knob? I've never been out there though.

That being said, if this shifts south who am I meeting at the Wissahickon Ski Club? :)

BenedictGomez

00z GFS schizophrenic as usual, brings snows back north. Good dumping in the Poconos. Canadian is running as we speak, and it's a pretty good hit too.

Hopefully the 00z Euro goes north too, which will make everyone feel better.

4aprice

No real woods skiing at Camelback. I know a few little spots to get snippets of powder but unless there is a ton of snow I would stay out (ie too many booby traps). Some locals know the way down the old Pocono ski area but I've never gone and never will. With the exception of Plattekill (which I haven't been to in a looong time)in a good winter, I wouldn't go into the woods south of Vermont. Frost's and Blue's are ok pitch wise but short, for me not worth the extra drive time to either.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

Tin

00z GFS schizophrenic as usual, brings snows back north. Good dumping in the Poconos. Canadian is running as we speak, and it's a pretty good hit too.

Hopefully the 00z Euro goes north too, which will make everyone feel better.

Trending north. Hoping for some Berkshire East love.

Rowsdower

No real woods skiing at Camelback. I know a few little spots to get snippets of powder but unless there is a ton of snow I would stay out (ie too many booby traps). Some locals know the way down the old Pocono ski area but I've never gone and never will. With the exception of Plattekill (which I haven't been to in a looong time)in a good winter, I wouldn't go into the woods south of Vermont. Frost's and Blue's are ok pitch wise but short, for me not worth the extra drive time to either.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

I've always thought the woods skier's left of Cliffhanger looked promising, personally.

I think the issue for me is just, if the snow is falling in the Poconos, and that's whats local to me, you just make the best of what you have.

BenedictGomez

12400851_994692987254830_2148284368129064450_n.png

j law

Any thoughts on when the snow starts falling in NYC vs Pocono's?

Sent from my iPhone usin

BenedictGomez

You can see from the pics, the 12z GFS and Canuck op runs have both really dialed back the snow fairly dramatically.

j law

Can you send pics of the maps if you have time? Thanks!!!

Sent from my iPhone usin