• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Skier Throws Snowboarder Off Aspen Highlands Chairlift

skiNEwhere

Obviously this wasn't in Jackson, or the skier would've been shot :smash:

Not that it matters, but I do get the impression the snowboarder was ragging on the skier the way up.

I can think of a couple of occasions I wanted to do that....but actually doing it...sounds like that skier has some serious anger issues.

Tin

It'd because of Trump's snowboarder hate speech in VT. Next up snowboarders will have to register and will be forced to wear emblems while walking down streets.

deadheadskier

Staff member
I have a hard time believing the story.

Who the hell gets thrown off a chair and doesn't report the situation until the end of the day because the pow is sick bro?!?

It just doesn't add up.....

thetrailboss

Staff member
I have a hard time believing the story.

Who the hell gets thrown off a chair and doesn't report the situation until the end of the day because the pow is sick bro?!?

It just doesn't add up.....

I thought it seemed odd too. And the article says it was near the top yet the liftie didn't stop the apparent offender(s)?

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

BenedictGomez

Here's why I think it's BS:

The skier was wearing gray pants, a two-toned jacket that was one-third burgundy-colored and two-thirds tan, with an old, silver Giro helmet and older, Smith mirrored goggles, he said.

You remember THAT much detail of a random guy on a lift you're chatting with for a few minutes, down to even the brand names and relative age of the equipment, etc?

If I skied with my best friend all day long and took 14 chair lifts, I couldn't tell you that much detail of what he was wearing at the end of the day, let alone from 3/4 of 1 chair ride.

manhattanskier

Website
www.patriotbrass.org
"The incident occurred at about 9:30 a.m., though Beckton, 28, did not report it until the end of the day. He said he was initially shaken by the incident and in a bit of shock, but since he wasn’t injured, he decided not to let it ruin his powder day." LOL

MEtoVTSkier

Probably more likely that he smoked his breakfast, (or took something....) and FELL out of the chairlift once the bar was lifted. After thinking on it all day, figured he could scam the resort out of something free if he reported it...

frapcap

Skier throws snowboarder 25' from lift

Some real jerks out there. As frustrating as some people are, there isn't any rational reason to pull someone off of a chair. Luckily they've had snow out west and he wasn't injured, but man, thats messed up. Props to the guy for getting after the rest of the powder day and not letting it ruin his morning.

http://deadspin.com/snowboarder-claims-skier-threw-him-from-chairlift-over-1753807895

Snowboarder Seth Beckton says a skier threw him off a chairlift, from which he fell 20 or 25 feet, at Aspen Highlands in Colorado. Going by his account of events, the rivalry between skiers and snowboarders remains strong and hostile.
According to Beckton, who said he was unhurt from the fall, he told the skier, “To get tits-deep pow shots, you just need to be on your edges.” (“Pow shots” is a reference to the snow getting kicked up while riding, and the “edges” refer to the edges of the skis.) The skier thought Beckton was making fun of him, and allegedly threw him from the lift. Beckton shared his summary on Facebook on Jan. 17:
WARNING! Be on the lookout for a skier chucking snowboarders off chairlifts. Yes, this is real.. Happened to me today while having a seemingly normal conversation riding up Loge chair at Highlands about pow when I made this comment “to get tits deep pow shots you just need to be on your edges.” Unknown human skier who tosses people from chair lifts was wearing a 1/3 burgundy 2/3 tan jacket with gray pants, an old silver Giro helmet with old Smith sensor mirror goggles, he replied, “are you laughing at me?” Me “Kind of...yes?? “ Well is this funny?”.. he then proceeded to push/pull me off the chair. Luckily I fell 20-25' into a fluffy pile of snow. So thankful that I was not hurt due to some asshole being offended by a non- offensive comment. Proceeded to get my turns in throughout the day on the lookout for the suspect without luck. Watch out for the above D bag, be safe people and for your own sake don’t make jokes about having fun. Feel free to introduce the human hucking A-hole to karma if found on the mtn.
P.S. Go Broncos!
The Aspen Times got more details when it spoke with Beckton, and asked him why he didn’t report what had happened. His answer may inspire you:
“I honestly thought I was dead,” Beckton said. “Because I didn’t know where we were (within the lift path). It’s not cool to think anyone would do that.”

The incident occurred at about 9:30 a.m., though Beckton, 28, did not report it until the end of the day. He said he was initially shaken by the incident and in a bit of shock, but since he wasn’t injured, he decided not to let it ruin his powder day.
Officials at the mountain haven’t found the culprit, but say they are still looking into the incident. “I think the guy was maybe on drugs,” Beckton told the Times. “Maybe he was partying the night before and maybe he was tweaking out on something and he did that.”
[Aspen Times]

Last edited:

skiNEwhere

IIRC, loge peak doesn't have an RFID scanner since it's mid mtn. If it did, it would be a lot easier to find the guy

gmcunni

what is the deal with this pic from the deadspin article?

i26vap3qreo38qkiru2l.jpg

thetrailboss

Staff member
IIRC, loge peak doesn't have an RFID scanner since it's mid mtn. If it did, it would be a lot easier to find the guy

Sounds like Snowbird. No RFID scanners on the upper mountain lifts. Alta has scanners on all of their lifts.

C-Rex

If someone pushed me off a lift and I fell 25 ft. I'd be out for blood. That's practically attempted murder. 25 feet is plenty high enough to do some serious damage, or even kill you if you land wrong. The fact that I was lucky enough to land in deep snow and not be injured would not be much of a consolation. I'd be hunting for that guy for the rest of the day, and if I calmed down enough to not take matters into my own hands, I'd still be damned sure the authorities got him.