• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

So who's planning to ski where Sunday?

Quietman

Crotched must pale in comparison to the areas that got dumped on, but had a great 4 hrs there today. Sun was shinning, no wind, and no crowds. Groomed trails skied very nicely, and on Joshua's advise, I hit Dark Star glades which had some snowmaking blow in up top but was a little rocky down lower, glades off the lower end of Super Nova which were nice but short, but spent a lot of time in the low angle glades off of Galaxy. Thought that I had put a few scars on the bottom of my skis, but they were just light scratches. Best day of the year so far, but it still isn't even on the same ballpark of last years epic glade skiing.

Savemeasammy

I skied Crotched yesterday as well. I was with my 8 year old. We started a bit after 9 and skied until 11:15ish. That's all the time we had, and my enthusiasm for skiing groomers had waned by then anyway. We didn't venture into any glades because what was visible from lift/trail didn't look appealing, but maybe we should have given it a shot. We skied Solstice "glade" twice. It was lousy, but my kid insisted that he liked it. Crotched really needs the woods to be in play to be enjoyable to me - and having some bumps would be nice...!

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone mobile app

tnt1234

I was at Blue with my uncle. Skied hard 8-2. Bump runs all day. Got at least 18-20. Locals were claiming 24" just below the hill. Fun mountain considering the vert. The drive wasn't bad from costal NJ. Great day all in all.

i was at blue yesterday as well. Boy, that was fun.

So glad they did't groom the crap out of everything.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Guess all the FB comments and discussion of letting some trails bump up or remain ungroomed isn't happening?

The only way a small hill like Crotched will ever have decent bumps is if they seed them. Even last years epic winter for them didn't yield decent moguls. Maybe if they ran the guns on Jupiter's Storm on a busy Saturday, some would get skied in, but I kind of doubt it.

BenedictGomez

Apparently the word is out (as is school) that the conditions at Blue Mountain are awesome. Someone posted this on their FB page a few hours ago with a warning to "not come unless you already have tickets" - amazing. :-o

I almost never ski there anymore, but I definitely never saw a line like THIS growing up!!! If you're not familiar, the ticket sales are INSIDE the building in a snaked "amusement park" style line, so this line is much worse than it even appears.

Makes me appreciate yesterday even more, I imagine yesterday would have been considered light crowds even for an icy, crappy, weekend day, let alone the GOAT day.

9210_880543262557_8843174743702793276_n.jpg

KustyTheKlown

I'm with you Harvey. I anticipated horrendous driving conditions and massively crowded short slopes in PA, so i got out of dodge and headed to smuggs. The only mid Atlantic location I considered for this storm was snowshoe, with their respectable elevation and vertical rise. But 8 hours into the heart of the storm and wv back roads kept me firm in my decision to go north despite the lack of fresh. Smuggs skied great on Saturday and I used Sunday to ski groomers with my girl.

mbedle

Wow - I have never seen that at Blue before and I've been skiing there for years. What is really odd is I would bet a lot of those people have an old pass sitting at home and don't know that you can reload it online and avoid standing in that line.

4aprice

The Poconos wont ski as well as it did today for another 20 years.

As someone who has spent considerable time skiing in the Pocono's over the last decade i can not agree with this statement. It's really good now but I have seen and skied better as well. Sometimes those little mountains can surprise you. One thing I was glad to see yesterday was the mountain not resting on its laurels and the snow making crews getting ready to pump away at building the base and keeping the surfaces in primo condition. Bumps on Lower Cleo and Uncle Bills Way are getting me psyched for a couple of good days @ CBK next weekend.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

tnt1234

Apparently the word is out (as is school) that the conditions at Blue Mountain are awesome. Someone posted this on their FB page a few hours ago with a warning to "not come unless you already have tickets" - amazing. :-o

I almost never ski there anymore, but I definitely never saw a line like THIS growing up!!! If you're not familiar, the ticket sales are INSIDE the building in a snaked "amusement park" style line, so this line is much worse than it even appears.

Makes me appreciate yesterday even more, I imagine yesterday would have been considered light crowds even for an icy, crappy, weekend day, let alone the GOAT day.

9210_880543262557_8843174743702793276_n.jpg

Oh dear god in heaven.

4aprice

Oh dear god in heaven.

They might do 15,000 if all the schools in Philly, SE PA and central/southern Jersey are closed. Schools here in Northwest Jersey are open and NYC is too. I know friends of ours kids down in Tom's River had off. Camelback looked busy (not overwhelemed) on the cam. I have to say where I live they are pretty good about getting the roads clear. In other parts of the state not so much.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

hammer

They might do 15,000 if all the schools in Philly, SE PA and central/southern Jersey are closed. Schools here in Northwest Jersey are open and NYC is too. I know friends of ours kids down in Tom's River had off. Camelback looked busy (not overwhelemed) on the cam. I have to say where I live they are pretty good about getting the roads clear. In other parts of the state not so much.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ
Was driving down to visit family on the Jersey Shore a number of years back...just after a snowstorm which dropped close to 2 feet. There were sections of the GS Parkway where a lane would go away without warning because the plows didn't finish plowing all of the available roadway.

Large snowstorms are certainly not common down there, but when I was a kid growing up in the area they could definitely happen. Really no excuse, especially since the parkway gets enough in tolls...

4aprice

Was driving down to visit family on the Jersey Shore a number of years back...just after a snowstorm which dropped close to 2 feet. There were sections of the GS Parkway where a lane would go away without warning because the plows didn't finish plowing all of the available roadway.

Large snowstorms are certainly not common down there, but when I was a kid growing up in the area they could definitely happen. Really no excuse, especially since the parkway gets enough in tolls...

Yeah, 40 degrees north of latitude is literally the Mason-Dixon line for snow. :razz:

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

tnt1234

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

Our schools are closed. Some families I know ditched work and took their kids to Jack Frost, They said it was empty.

BenedictGomez

As someone who has spent considerable time skiing in the Pocono's over the last decade i can not agree with this statement.

Of course not, but you're also the only person on these boards who thinks the Pocono Mountains rival the French Alps. I'm sure even you are aware you're a bit of homer in thisregard.

It's really good now but I have seen and skied better as well.

How can you say that given you skied at Camelback, and the idiots at Camelback groomed everything?

I would hold the same opinion as you too if I skied someplace that was groomed to packed powder, but that's not how Blue Mountain was. They didn't groom everything to death and allowed the trails to mogul-up. By the time I left, there were even little baby bumps forming on some green trails. In the Poconos! Choosing to ski at Camelback yesterday was a major mistake.

Not to mention, Camelback got a full 1/2 foot LESS snow than Blue Mountain did. That's a lot less snow. And that's even assuming Camelback's 18" is "honest", given Camelback's notoriously poor reputation for not having a great relationship with the truth.

Oh dear god in heaven.

Even more impressive (or nightmarish) considering today is Monday.

SATURDAY. AND. YESTERDAY. WERE. SO. DAMN. FUN :snow:

I had to keep pinching myself to make sure i was really in peeyay

Agreed. I grew up skiing the Poconos, and yesterday was truly something I'd never experienced. Sadly, 24" storms don't grow on trees, but if it skied like that every day, I'd take fewer 6 hour ski trips.

4aprice

Of course not, but you're also the only person on these boards who thinks the Pocono Mountains rival the French Alps. I'm sure even you are aware you're a bit of homer in thisregard.

How can you say that given you skied at Camelback, and the idiots at Camelback groomed everything?

I would hold the same opinion as you too if I skied someplace that was groomed to packed powder, but that's not how Blue Mountain was. They didn't groom everything to death and allowed the trails to mogul-up. By the time I left, there were even little baby bumps forming on some green trails. In the Poconos! Choosing to ski at Camelback yesterday was a major mistake.

Not to mention, Camelback got a full 1/2 foot LESS snow than Blue Mountain did. That's a lot less snow. And that's even assuming Camelback's 18" is "honest", given Camelback's notoriously poor reputation for not having a great relationship with the truth.

I do not compare Camelback to the French Alp's, Green Mountains or anything else. It is exactly what it is. It is a ski area in a very good location for my purposes and very well run. You ask how people with full time jobs get 40-60 days a year? Well I do it thanks to having it in "the backyard". You want to know about their snow fall? It was about exactly what it was here in Northwest Morris County so I would say 15-18 would be about right.

I also go not only to Northern New England but also to Utah every season so let me tell you I am not foreign to powder and good powder at that. Once you've been out there in good snow its hard to get too excited about powder in the east be it PA or Vermont for that matter. I have a hard time believing that you were skiing uncut powder at Blue. If you got 2 runs before it was cut to shreds I would be surprised. If I had been willing to risk the drive up I could have skied powder Saturday. Do I blame them for grooming overnight, seeing as the snow up there ended about 8 ish (according to those who were at the mountain) and they were still night skiing at that time. No it was the smart thing to do. The PP surfaces Sunday were awesome and the bumps were sprouting like a garden in spring. And yes I have seen better conditions over the years in the Pocono's. A St Patricks day several years ago where 17-inchs fell overnight and very few people made it to the mountain and 2 seasons ago when we had about a foot of fluff fall on top of about 18 the week before. People were coming off the mountain that day and saying it was the best they had ever seen in the Pocono's, I didn't hear that about this past weekend.

The mountain is in fabulous shape right now and I might be looking at skiing there 2 afternoons this week as well as both weekend days. Going to ramp my day count up fast and really its all in getting ready for one thing (same with my trips up to NE) and that is the trip out west at the end of March. That's were I look to do my powder skiing. BTW I've skied in the Alps too and I'll take the American west Thank you very much. You like Blue? , knock your self out. I don't mind the place but I certainly don't think its worth the extra drive time over Camelback.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

Last edited:

BenedictGomez

4aprice;93239 You like Blue? said:
I don't mind the place but I certainly don't think its worth the extra drive time over Camelback. [/B]

Comparing reports, it certainly was yesterday, which is/was the one-and-only point I was making.