• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Crotched Mountain Sunday 1/24/16

Whitey

It's all about options. Bump skiers don't care whether it's the whole trail or just half but give us some! Skiing at high speeds on groomers really does nothing for me personally.

I think you guys are missing my point. There's is also a really good chance (as always) that I don't know what the hell I am talking about. I would have loved to have had some bumps to ski there when I went there on Sunday. Lapping groomers ain't really my thing either, but when mother nature gives you lemons - you make lemonade.

I am just not sure if they can do what you are saying so far this year. Part of that is based on the fact that I've seen them leave runs bumped up. I also tend to doubt that they made a strategic decision this year to "groom everything!!". I think that man made snow & bumps are tough to pull off, esp in a year like this one.

JS could probably shed more light on this.

dlague

When our kids were younger we would go for half days. When they got older not so much. Two years ago we did the 2:30-5 lift ticket which was plenty and we lapped the new quad (new for them) and flew down Pluto's most of the time. Every now and then I skied the bumps off to the side under the chair or we skied through the terrain park for my son. The ride up was quick and the run down even quicker.

MadMadWorld

I think you guys are missing my point. There's is also a really good chance (as always) that I don't know what the hell I am talking about. I would have loved to have had some bumps to ski there when I went there on Sunday. Lapping groomers ain't really my thing either, but when mother nature gives you lemons - you make lemonade.

I am just not sure if they can do what you are saying so far this year. Part of that is based on the fact that I've seen them leave runs bumped up. I also tend to doubt that they made a strategic decision this year to "groom everything!!". I think that man made snow & bumps are tough to pull off, esp in a year like this one.

JS could probably shed more light on this.

I've seen pictures from Sunapee this weekend and they have some very nice seeded bumps. I just don't see a problem.

deadheadskier

Staff member
I could dig up the Facebook conversation I had with them, but the gist of it was they planned on focusing much harder on moguls this season with offering on half of Jupiter, half of Magnitude, under the Rocket and half UFO/Equinox.

I've conceded that the weather has been challenging. Sunapee has good bumps on Goose right now despite those challenges. If it's a priority, it can be done and for a heckuva a lot smaller snowmaking investment than it takes to build terrain parks.

Newpylong

Way more revenue potential from the parks than moguls unfortunately. Still it does not take a large quantity of snowmaking to provide enough extra depth on 1 trail for seeded bumps.

VTKilarney

Agreed. I have always been a carver, but even I have started venturing into the bumps. Now I just need to get some bump skis.

I actually gave up skiing after college because I was thoroughly bored with skiing groomers.

joshua segal

Website
skikabbalah.com
Crotched has not groomed the east side of Pluto's and it hasn't bumped up. To bump up machine made snow requires more advanced-skier traffic than the collection of CM skiers can provide. I can only guess. but I think UFO/Equinox will no longer be groomed when we get some natural snow.

The absence of bumps is why I've sought out the woods, despite the thin cover. I too am not into lapping cruisers.